Date: 27-04-24  Time: 03:18 am

Author Topic: Removing camshaft cover  (Read 1349 times)

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Removing camshaft cover
« on: 17 November 2016, 09:47:38 pm »
Now done 47,000 miles and decided to check to valve clearances. Problem is getting the cam cover clear of the engine. I've done it before at about 30,000 miles and don't remember getting the cam cover away being such a problem. Haynes says to remove the bolt holding the thermostat housing, but unless I drain the water and remove the hoses the housing wont budge. I don't remember doing that last time, but maybe I did. Any of you guys who have checked the valve clearances had this problem and can advice if removing the thermostat housing is necessary or not.  :\

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Removing camshaft cover
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2016, 09:54:08 pm »
Yes, I never managed to get the cover off completely. I did get it raised far enough that I could make the measurements though.
Since then I've solved the problem by ignoring it... they didn't drift out of spec on the first engine I had (117,000 miles).

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2016, 10:36:02 pm »
Just remove the thermostat bolt and the little movement you get is sufficient to get the cover out. Make sure the throttle cables are not in the way. You may have to loosen the throttle cable at the carb, to allow movement.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2016, 08:15:12 am »
Thanks for the advice guys. I will have another go at it today. I kept a record of the clearances last time so it will be interesting to see if there has been any change.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2016, 10:06:08 pm »
Success. I first tried the "Fazerider" method of checking the clearance through the gap with the cover lifted as far as possible. (It did remind me of the gynaecologist who decorated his hall, stairs and landing through the letterbox). Obviously it must be possible, but after checking number one cylinder I decided to have another go at getting the cover out of the way completely. The breakthrough came by doing as "Unfazed" suggested and loosening the throttle return cable at the carb end and removing the thermostat housing bolt to give just a bit of movement. After some more juggling and pushing out came the camshaft cover.
The final result was that all the clearances were within spec, with just a few of the inlet clearances apparently having opened up by something approaching 0.001" (0.025mm) since when I last checked. In the end all I have achieved is piece of mind and the satisfaction of actually getting the cam cover out of the way.