Date: 24-04-24  Time: 20:04 pm

Author Topic: New to bikes, New to Yamaha and hopefully Fazer. Advice sought  (Read 2410 times)

akula

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Hey everyone. I apologise if a similar topic has been posted here but I just want to get a bit of advice from people who know. I am hopefully about to buy my first bike...a fazer in the next week or so and I have two options I am torn between.
One of the bikes is a 2002 Fazer 600s with belly pan. It has only 6k miles and has been totally cherished and really is in showroom condition. Unfortunately it requires tax and MOT. The seller is looking £2100.
The other bike is also a very very clean 2007 FZ6 S2 in blue with 10k miles. It has 8 mths MOT but needs taxed. The seller is looking £2250.
I have heard that the older bikes are better and as this would be my first bike I want to make the right decision. I am concerned about the older bike needing work soon, or seals failing due to its age but it has been garaged and is immaculate. You really would be hard pushed finding a better example at a year old.

I am just really interested in you guys views on this. How do the level of miles compare to the age etc.

Look forward to reading your replies...

Regards

Chris

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: New to bikes, New to Yamaha and hopefully Fazer. Advice sought
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2012, 01:19:57 pm »
The 02 fazer sounds like the exact same deal as mine, if its in that condition then it will fly through the mot.
Can't comment on the 07 version but people will shortly.
I have not had a single problem with my 02 fazer, just consumables, in fact when i bought it the only problem i had was that it only had 6000 miles on the clock, it needed to be used. this was in 2010.
I believe but people will no doubt correct me soon that the 02 version is one of the best.
Hopes this starts to help.
Nick
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2012, 01:39:40 pm »
IMO the most important thing when buying a bike is service history, my fazer had only clocked up 10k miles, the discs were scorn to fook and a list of other things.

i'd personally go for the foxeye its a better bike.

John Silva

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2012, 01:45:10 pm »
I have had my 02 fazer for about 5 years with no problems.
Both of the bikes you mention sounds like a good deal.
6k on an 02 is very low milage.

I think it will come down in the end, to which one you personally like the style of.
Best of luck in your decision.
Biking is about the Journey NOT the Destination...

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2012, 01:55:03 pm »
Well you're about to get a whole host of debate on this topic between 'which is best' of those 2 bikes. However, as it's your first bike you're going to be amazed by whichever one you choose as a modern 600 is an awesome thing indeed.

With that in mind, i'd advise you to go for the much newer 07 FZ6 purely on the basis that it looks nicer and is a newer bike.

The benefits of the original Fazer are better underseat storage, better mid-range from the engine & better brakes. If those things aren't massively important to you then get the newer FZ6

And now, I await the usual debate lol  :lol

akula

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2012, 02:38:04 pm »
Oh also on this both bikes have the fox eye style fairing

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2012, 03:21:10 pm »
im a nearly newbie 3 weeks of owning my first fazer a 05 plate  to me age is everything as the older bike being stored and not used may have hidden rust etc,
with it being your 'first'  bike youll proberly not notice the difference between the two in engine torque etc as youll proberly bricking it for the first couple of months till you get use to it
i prefer the newer one due to exhaust pipe routing out under the seat makes a more neater bike to me

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2012, 03:51:46 pm »
Send me your e-mail address by PM and I'll send you pictures and details of my '02 Foxeye that I am selling with a nice few extras. Bit cheaper than the ones you are looking at and well looked after (ask on here, some have seen it ).

Cheers
Russ
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

bikemad62

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2012, 04:42:02 pm »
I have had a 2002 for about four years. Im on my second engine after racking up 70,000 miles on the first one.they are one of the most reliable bikes on the road. parts are relatively cheap now. and carbs are a lot less hastle than fuel injection. So my my advice would be go for the 2002 bike. 

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2012, 05:45:14 pm »
Ride them both,  make up your mind ---simples
The Frying Scotsman