Date: 25-04-24  Time: 00:15 am

Author Topic: Question for bee experts  (Read 1608 times)

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Question for bee experts
« on: 31 May 2014, 08:14:19 pm »
While gazing through my kitchen window I can see the gable end front corner of next doors bungalow. I have noticed recently a constant coming and going of bees under the fascia board. Behind that gable end is the garage. Now, if I tell the old dear next door she will worry about it and ask me what she should do. Since I don't know I am asking here first. I know bees perform a vital function but I guess nobody wants to share their house with them.

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Question for bee experts
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2014, 08:33:55 pm »
You need a breakfast sized bowl of sugary water.............  ;)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2014, 08:38:09 pm »
You need a breakfast sized bowl of sugary water.............  ;)
:rollin

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2014, 08:55:03 pm »
Unless she's allergic to bee stings (or hypersensitive to the deafening noise of their wings like slimwilly), leave them alone and they'll just go about their business and the nest will be empty by late autumn when the workers have died and the queens fly off and hibernate.
If they're honeybees there should be a local beekeeper who can give advice or even take the hive away.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2014, 09:09:24 pm »
O.K. I will drink a bowl of sugary water, maybe give me a bit of energy.  :)

Fazerider. thanks for that info. There is a bee keeper not far away who I used to get some lovely honey off. Sadly, last year was a bad year for bees so he kept all his honey for himself. Very selfish of him  :\ .

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2014, 09:56:12 pm »

Have you seen the other Bee thread Limax?, it's a hot topic naturally as it has nowt to do with bikes :lol

& some interesting Honey trivia - did you know that honey is the only food that doesn't go off......there was some found inside the pyramids and it was still perfectly edible. :)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2014, 10:19:21 pm »
Unless she's allergic to bee stings (or hypersensitive to the deafening noise of their wings like slimwilly), leave them alone and they'll just go about their business and the nest will be empty by late autumn when the workers have died and the queens fly off and hibernate.
If they're honeybees there should be a local beekeeper who can give advice or even take the hive away.

I left the ones that are lodging free of charge in may cavity wall since last season and they did not die or bugger off but are now fooking hug. So I have Nippon at hand and they are not a happy bunch at the moment. No bee keeper were interested as they could not get to them so it was left to me and it seems to have done the job.

Felt guilty at first but it was them or me

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2014, 10:29:39 pm »
If they are honey bees then they are there probably for a long time,,many years,,

Honey bees store wax and honey,,even if you kill the bees, others this year ,next year will smell the honey,unless you can seal it air tight,,i have killed some honey bees high up in some barge boards and every year there are still bees there,,oh and it also attrracts wasps to the smell of honey.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2014, 09:35:44 am »

Have you seen the other Bee thread Limax?, it's a hot topic naturally as it has nowt to do with bikes :lol

& some interesting Honey trivia - did you know that honey is the only food that doesn't go off......there was some found inside the pyramids and it was still perfectly edible. :)

I had missed that thread. yes an interesting and entertaining read.  :thumbup