Date: 30-04-24  Time: 10:15 am

Author Topic: New here and new to the Fazer 1000  (Read 1895 times)

Nellog

• CBT Wobbler
  • Getting there is the best bit
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
New here and new to the Fazer 1000
« on: 08 November 2015, 03:18:44 pm »
Hi folks,
I've recently registered on the FOC forum and just beginning to feel my way round the site. I currently run an 05 plate FZS 1000.
As for my biking credentials: Many moons ago, I rode a Honda 400 four, keeping it alive for a pal while he was away with the forces. Some 27 years or so later, I took the leap and got myself a 51 plate FZS 600. As it'd been sooo long since I rode a bike, I did the sensible thing and went on a few refresher sessions at my local bike school. What the school didn't prepare me for was the buzz that's to be had when out on two wheels (I still can't believe I'd forgotten what it feels like out there, only remembering that it was fun).
Anyway, I got the 600 in June 2014 with only 8,500 on the clock and it fit like a glove. Immediately I felt comfortable on her. I did the usual - local blats out with biking pals and the odd trip away for a day or two to see pals up and down the country and around the Lake District. She's now relaxing in the garage (while I enjoy playing on the FZS 1000) with just under 17,000 on her. I'd almost doubled the mileage in 16 months! That bike took me around the UK, a 'Training Day' at Cadwell and 12 days around the Pyrenees without a hiccup. God bless Fazers :D  I learnt so much on her that I'm going to be sad to see her go, but go she must. Probably Spring 2016.

I try to get out there as much as I can and, weather permitting, so she'll not be sat too long over the winter months.
My first step now is to get that bloody low revs lumpy running on the 1000 sorted.... I'll no doubt be back!
Before I go, can I ask you experienced and more knowledgeable Fazer owners a tad embarrassing question: How do I know whether my bike is a Fazer 1000, an FZ1, an FZS 1000 T or TC or whatever it may be? It's 05 plate and has retro fitted fairing (in case it's only possible to fit it on certain models). The Fairing has FZ1 on it, but the Owner's Manual calls it a FZS1000T/FZS1000TC. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks folks.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: New here and new to the Fazer 1000
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2015, 04:03:10 pm »
You have a FZS1000,the carbed version,  known on here as a gen1, 2000 to 2005 but with some late registered 2006 ones about.
An FZ1 is the later bike with fuel injection , known on here as a gen2, 2005 onwards.
Confusingly the model you have is known in America as a FZ1,  be careful when buying stuff on ebay.

Your fairing lowers are aftermarket but top looks original, the bike looks like an  import as the orange reflectors  on the forks are not on UK  models, which would explain the FZ1 stickers.
« Last Edit: 08 November 2015, 04:08:06 pm by slappy »

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2015, 07:07:22 pm »
Looks sweet Nellog :)
Welcome officially to the forum as you've now introduced yourself and your bike.

Remember and get stuck into the forum to give and get help :)
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2015, 07:50:17 pm »
WAHEYYYYYYY!!!!!! ITS BLUUUUUUU
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Nellog

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2015, 08:33:48 pm »
You have a FZS1000,the carbed version,  . . . . known in America as a FZ1,  be careful when buying stuff on ebay.
That's great Info. Thanks, Slappy. You're a star. Looking for bits for it was my main concern - knowing exactly what model I'm buying for would be an advantage  :lol
He he, Exupnut. I saw a silver grey one, two days after I got mine. That threw me. Had a right long chat with the owner - he'd had it only a week so I guess there'd been a run on Fazers :rolleyes I don't think I convinced him to have it resprayed to the stock colour!

I'm sure I'll be back time and again, Sinto. Got a week off so I'll be getting stuck into the rough running problem - and no doubt be screaming for help on here as I get lost in it. Looking forward to the time when I'm able to give help!

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2015, 12:53:10 am »
Hello and welcome you are oficially foccer now  :)

Nice Thou, it would be nice to see your 600 as well...
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

Nellog

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2015, 09:28:50 pm »
Hi, Val. Sorry for the delay, buddy. My 600. 01 plate and less than 17,000 on the clock.
« Last Edit: 22 November 2015, 09:29:48 pm by Nellog »

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2015, 11:08:15 pm »
she looks great  :) and you have the same bar ends like me  :)

The easiest way to find the difference between 1st and 2nd generation litre Fazers  is the frame:

Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

Nellog

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2015, 03:57:25 pm »
Cheers, Val. Smart looking machine there, buddy. That's some can! I'm not into much bling, but the bar ends and dust caps on the 600 I felt were just enough to put a personal touch on her. Oh, and the wheel trims  :lol . I got blue LED's for the dash on my 1000. They make a fair bit of difference for night riding (not that I aim to do a lot of that, just getting back from a ride out really). Easier to see dash detail than with the original bulbs.
The panniers tell me you do a bit of touring. Been anywhere lately?