Date: 30-04-24  Time: 16:20 pm

Author Topic: Clunking Gearbox  (Read 1351 times)

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
Clunking Gearbox
« on: 19 July 2015, 12:01:26 pm »
Are the gearboxes on the Gen 2 usually very clunky or is it just mine. It seems to be getting worse especially when cold, almost to the point of lurching forward slighlty when selecting first gear.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Clunking Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2015, 12:56:49 pm »
Mine is very smooth to use, even from cold, doesn`t even clunk into first gear, one of the few bikes I have had that doesn`t do that.
Check the easy things first, adjust and lube the cable and the pivot on the handlebar perch, see if that makes any improvement.
Whats the mileage, if high the clutch might be getting to the time for replacement..

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2015, 05:38:54 pm »
Mileage is about 30K now. I thought the clutch may need changing as I also get some clutch judder when pulling off in first gear.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2015, 07:15:14 pm »
Clutch judder doesn't sound good. Could be warped plates or notched basket. The latter is repairable to a degree. Is it better if you wait for 5 seconds with the clutch in before engaging gear? If so then plates could be sticking together.

My gearbox is pretty clunky. I read on here to overfill the oil slightly. This I did which improved things but still noisy.