Date: 20-05-24  Time: 23:18 pm

Author Topic: FZ1 flies.... just curious. ..  (Read 1818 times)

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
FZ1 flies.... just curious. ..
« on: 18 July 2015, 05:59:49 pm »
Afternoon    :D
I changed my air filter today, when I removed the box cover the flies were open, not been in there before so might be normal? Clicked the ignition on and they closed (just key)...
Like I say just curious if this is normal.
Oh and I think the filter was just about ready to be changed.....
To become old and wise you have to have been young and stupid......

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1 flies.... just curious. ..
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2015, 08:54:36 pm »
Got any pics of the flies Mike?.....reason i ask is that i was in there the other day and my flies were closed....i think....i was prodding the connecting arm and thinking theyd just flip open...downwards.....which they didnt....they moved a smidge so with no further knowledge of how they work i presumed that they open under set conditions whilst riding.

But look at it this way.....folks trim the flies to improve performance.....so they open them rather than close them in essence surely..so in that respect they must normally be closed......unless the way i was looking at them top down flat was actually open......

Oh foc im confused again :lol :groan :wall

I have heard of folks tying them open though instead of removing them
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2015, 09:12:02 pm »
Got any pics of the flies Mike?.....reason i ask is that i was in there the other day and my flies were closed....i think....i was prodding the connecting arm and thinking theyd just flip open...downwards.....which they didnt....they moved a smidge so with no further knowledge of how they work i presumed that they open under set conditions whilst riding.

But look at it this way.....folks trim the flies to improve performance.....so they open them rather than close them in essence surely..so in that respect they must normally be closed......unless the way i was looking at them top down flat was actually open......

Oh foc im confused again :lol :groan :wall

I have heard of folks tying them open though instead of removing them

Yep took this before turning the key, they closed when the ignition was switched on

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2015, 10:36:38 pm »
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2015, 11:00:25 pm »
Every time I see a picture of a gen2 air filter it is filthy, when I replaced mine with a k&n it looked like the bike had done 80000 miles not 8000. When I had my gen1 I changed the filter every 10000 miles and it never looked as bad as that.

Only reason I can think this happens is because fuel injected bikes  need to force more air in to the larger air box that they tend to have and so they suck much more crap and dirt in.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2015, 09:57:32 am »
Every time I see a picture of a gen2 air filter it is filthy, when I replaced mine with a k&n it looked like the bike had done 80000 miles not 8000. When I had my gen1 I changed the filter every 10000 miles and it never looked as bad as that.

Only reason I can think this happens is because fuel injected bikes  need to force more air in to the larger air box that they tend to have and so they suck much more crap and dirt in.

The air filter on either model only sees atmospheric pressure and the pressure drop across it should be minimal, the dirt has nowt to do with EFI - I think it is just in a more vulnerable place to pick up road grime, particularly when it is raining and the dirt is in an aerosol.

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2015, 10:35:42 am »
So any comments regarding the flies being open?

I spent £22.50 on a OE filter... Should have got K&N or other and modded the bottom of the airbox, at least there would then be a bigger dirty patch next time i come to clean or change the filter  :lol

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2015, 11:23:33 am »
Apologies for slightly hijacking your thread with my air filter comment :)

As for the flies every time I have had my airbox off they have always been in the closed position, I always assumed that was the default position with the engine cold.

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2015, 11:52:27 am »
Apologies for slightly hijacking your thread with my air filter comment :)

As for the flies every time I have had my airbox off they have always been in the closed position, I always assumed that was the default position with the engine cold.

Thats ok mate, its very welcome  :D
I will dig a bit deeper then as to why mine were open, hopefully/probably nothing but want to know now  :rollin

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 July 2015, 08:35:08 pm »
i seem to remember mine were open when engine off,,maybe wrong,,but i think i had to undo the link bar from the motor to get them lay flat to work on them,,yeh i am sure (i think)
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Mike01

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Africa Twin AS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 July 2015, 08:48:07 pm »
i seem to remember mine were open when engine off,,maybe wrong,,but i think i had to undo the link bar from the motor to get them lay flat to work on them,,yeh i am sure (i think)
Cool, think I will just accept how they were, trying to sort a few things stopping the bike leaving the garage and this is not one of them  :lol