Date: 01-05-24  Time: 19:42 pm

Author Topic: OMG Potentially fatal.  (Read 1275 times)

fishwibbler

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
OMG Potentially fatal.
« on: 15 June 2012, 11:48:49 pm »
Hi all,
After some advice after my rear wheel valve stem came loose on the way home today (motorway speeds) so pressure went from 35-36psi/2.5bar to bog all and I was burnin' rubber on a semi flattie. Managed to get home and rolled her into the garage and attached a track pump, but the valve "innards" came away in my hand. I think it's a push to fit valve and the rest of the valve, a big rubber bit,  is still within the wheel gubbins somewhere. What's the best thing to do here?
Any and all advice appreciated.
Cheers,
fish.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: OMG Potentially fatal.
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2012, 12:08:25 am »
How long has that tyre been on, and (crucially)was the valve changed with it? What dust caps are (were) on it; metal or plastic?

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2012, 12:27:00 am »
Mine done the same last week, I put it down to using heavy tyre pressure monitors in the place of caps but on closer examination I noticed the valve body was a little perished. Kills your confidence a little doesn't it . I ended up fitting some solid angled valves. How old was your tyres ? Mine was manufactured in 2008 so I could put it down to age. You expect to get punctures as a rule you don't expect the valve to fail. Will post some pictures of mine.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2012, 01:02:14 am »
Thought I'd add, I pushed my valve stem back into the valve and pumped it back up. The next morning it was still inflated with no loss of pressure but after riding it home on a flat tyre there was only one option for me ....new tyre and new sturdier valves.

fishwibbler

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2012, 03:44:51 pm »
Cheers dazza and adie, much obliged. I pushed the valve stem back in and pumped it up again but I was not confident about the valve. I managed to pull it out again easily so I did a little more research and the stem shouldn't come away from the boot. Latest position is I have superglued the stem inside the rubber boot so it holds til I get to the bike shop and can change the whole valve. The tyre is not that old - few years at most so not in danger of perishing. I think they left the old valve in when it was put on though, lazy tykes.

I love the right angled valve though, so much better designed.

Cheers,
Fish.