Date: 22-05-24  Time: 11:20 am

Author Topic: tonights visit into the garage  (Read 1250 times)

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
tonights visit into the garage
« on: 31 January 2017, 08:25:13 pm »
So tonight I had a few things on my list.

1. Check TPS reading (again)
2. Work out how the fuck I get the keys out of my top box when I turn it to the lock position.
3. See if my scottoiler was primed and ready to go for when the bracket arrives.

Well I'm happy to report the TPS now reading 5000 (not fucking sure why because last time I checked it was 10000)

As for the top box wellllllll there are 3 key positions, left turn (unlock), middle position (only position I can remove key) and right position (lock) so to lock it you have to turn it to lock position and as slightly pulling on key turn it back to middle otherwise it doesn't quite lock...... Anyway now I know how to lock and unlock it im happy no scroat will run off with my gear.

The scottoiler seems to work, I saw a random tube coming off it so I blew down the fucker and the pump started moving and a couple of drops of oil popped out the end of the tube so I'm guessing once bikes started it should all operate as it should :)

Tonight was a success in what has been a friggin nightmare lately with that bike haha

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: tonights visit into the garage
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2017, 08:36:34 pm »
Did you physically adjust the TPS when it read at 10k though?

If it's randomly moving position it could be on its way out, i've gone through 3 now (2 were bought used), although my 4th is now brand new.
I've found them prone to misbehave and break down rather than just stop working completely all of a sudden.

The most noticeable thing is that the bike will feel a bit jerky at lower speeds, and it will be a tiny bit erratic on idle, and it will generally not run smoothly.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrenc

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2017, 08:44:21 pm »
Does seem a little jerky below 2k at low speeds I.e pulling off from lights (not too bad though), idle speed seems fine though and no erratic taco readings of it jumping all over the place. I did adjust it after the previous 10000 reading but it still read 10000 and couldn't get it to 5000 so just left it. I will see how it goes, I'm hoping its fine, I think I read somewhere that the TDM 850 has same TPS and possibly a few other bikes if I need to look for a replacement.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2017, 06:33:22 am »
Does seem a little jerky below 2k at low speeds I.e pulling off from lights (not too bad though), idle speed seems fine though and no erratic taco readings of it jumping all over the place. I did adjust it after the previous 10000 reading but it still read 10000 and couldn't get it to 5000 so just left it. I will see how it goes, I'm hoping its fine, I think I read somewhere that the TDM 850 has same TPS and possibly a few other bikes if I need to look for a replacement.

You're answering your own questions here, hence the reason you have another post on here titled "Running Lumpy".
If it won't adjust then it's knackered, simple as that. One of mine wouldn't budge off 10,000 either, so time for a new one. There's no other reason why you shouldn't be able to adjust it back onto 5000rpm. Only thing that is throwing me is the relatively low mileage on your bike, but even still, it should be adjustable.
"Hope" doesn't really work on broken bits of bikes either, they generally either work or they don't, they won't fix themselves so lots of praying is out of the window too.

I seriously wouldn't even bother purchasing a used one. As i found out twice you'll just be buying something on it's last legs, and will have absolutely no idea how many miles it's done already, but one thing for sure is that it'll be a minimum 14 year old part waiting to break down again.
And you can't even consider a carb balance with a fooked TPS, it'll make the bike even more unpredictable.
Unless you're totally strapped for cash then go for it, otherwise just buy a new one and you'll end up saving money in the long run.  :thumbup

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZS-600-H-Fazer-2000-Tourmax-Throttle-Position-Sensor-/301948941019?hash=item464d8f32db:g:r4cAAOSwYmZXKw0c

« Last Edit: 01 February 2017, 06:34:37 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.