Date: 22-05-24  Time: 12:17 pm

Author Topic: Throttle Sticky  (Read 1074 times)

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Throttle Sticky
« on: 25 July 2014, 07:37:54 pm »
Hey guys,

I fixed my electrical wiring problems but after I've put it back together the throttle is really stiff and doesn't snap back. The handle bars were displaced for about a week I'm thinking that when they've not been under tension something's gone a bit wrong. I've checked the cable and re-seated it in the holder thing at the carb end.

Any ideas what to do or how to get some WD40 in there?

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Throttle Sticky
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2014, 07:52:26 pm »
have you kinked the cable somewhere under the fuel tank when you have been messing with the wiring maybe?

I would double check the throttle cable routing is correct first and foremost.
« Last Edit: 25 July 2014, 07:52:58 pm by mickvp »

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2014, 11:10:18 am »
Checked the routing this morning. All looked fine. I took the casing off the throttle to get to the cables. The one that pulls when opening the throttle snaps back fine. The other cable tho the pull doesn't have any tension (doesn't snap back when you pull it) in it is that right?
« Last Edit: 26 July 2014, 11:12:42 am by Timbollew »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2014, 02:32:35 pm »

The "close" throttle cable is pulled by the throttle… if you have that apart you're expecting the inner to get pushed from the carb end and it'll just make a loop at that end instead (and possible unhook itself from the carb).
I'd have a good look at the carb to check both cables are attached OK.
Don't use WD40 for anything other than flushing old crap out, it's a rubbish lubricant… engine oil is the lightest I'd use in throttle and clutch cables.

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2014, 04:16:31 pm »
I've taken the carbs out the accelerator cable locking nut had come undone at the carb end so I think this was jamming it up and stopping it returning. I'm gonna take the oppurtunity to clean my carbs and check cam chain tensioner as I've never been this far in :)