Date: 20-05-24  Time: 11:11 am

Author Topic: sparkplug change on fz1s gen2.  (Read 1691 times)

bikerally

• Cager in Training
  • summer/winter rider
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - er5
    • View Profile
sparkplug change on fz1s gen2.
« on: 11 December 2012, 09:39:20 pm »
how doin,  can someone give me an idea how to change the sparkplugs on a fz1s gen2 ?   do i need to take of the radiator and airbox ? the bikes done 10,000m now, would a clean and regap do the plugs depending on the condition of them.
fz1 gen2   rainy/schwantz

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Re: sparkplug change on fz1s gen2.
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2012, 11:16:16 pm »
If you have all the AIS gubbins on the bike, access is tight but taking the radiator off isn't really necessary. But here's a thought - I only changed my plugs after 50,000 miles and I wouldn't have changed them at all if it wasn't for the salt corrosion at the tops, they were all fine ... healthy gap, virtually no erosion, and no difference in performance or starting after the change at all.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2012, 05:42:24 pm »
I recently changed the sparkies on my 600, I think they had been in for 5 years (last time they were changed before I bought the bike) and as I found iridium plugs on the net for £5.60 I thought, why not! (Aceparts, Sittingbourne)

Nothing much wrong with the ones that came out apart from horrible rust on top, these days I spray a bit of WD around the spark plug caps form time to time to keep the crap and damp at bay.

Iridium allegedly last a lot longer too, didn't feel any difference in performance though but I didn't buy them for that reason.

bikerally

• Cager in Training
  • summer/winter rider
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - er5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2012, 10:20:41 pm »
cheers,  i might just give them a clean and regap and bung them back in.  the bikes been starting and running ok.
fz1 gen2   rainy/schwantz