Date: 01-05-24  Time: 16:55 pm

Author Topic: Rev counter needle in wrong place!  (Read 2206 times)

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
Rev counter needle in wrong place!
« on: 09 January 2012, 09:00:25 am »
I changed the undertray on my Gen1 Fazer 1000 at the weekend all by myself and some idiot  :o replaced the tip over sensor upside down  :'( .  Anyway, easily fixed that once I worked out the 9,000 rev display warning and found said tip over switch, BUT...

As I switched off the ignition with the rev needle showing 9k revs, the needle fell the wrong way and is now point down at the 6 o'clock position when the ignition is off.  When the ignition is turned on, the needle moves clockwise and stops underneath the normal stop and cannot move any further.

A quick net search suggested using a magnet to drag the needle back around but this makes no movement at all with ignition off and a little flicker when ignition is on (perhaps I need a stronger magnet).  Same post also says that it is easy to get to the needle and move it by hand if you take the instrument panel off.

Before I take everything to bits for no reason...
a) can the needle be moved by a stronger magnet?
b) can the needle be easily got at
c) would just rotating the instrument panel around to get the needle back in the right place work
d) any other easy way to fix this.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: 09 January 2012, 12:03:56 pm by Ghoti »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Rev counter needle in wrong place!
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2012, 03:48:37 pm »

a) can the needle be moved by a stronger magnet? Yes.

b) can the needle be easily got at.  Yes - just remove the instruments and undo the screws on the back.

c) would just rotating the instrument panel around to get the needle back in the right place work.  It might.  Worth trying before removing the back of the housing.

d) any other easy way to fix this.  Perhaps, but these are the most common and successful solutions. :)

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2012, 08:43:15 am »
Thanks Falcon.

I raided my son's Christmas stuff which included something from the British Science Museum with some good magnets in it.  Worked a treat.  Obviously the little magnet on a stick to get dropped screws and bolts was not strong enough.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2012, 09:13:01 am »
Excellent! :D