Date: 19-05-24  Time: 22:41 pm

Author Topic: Exhaust Studs  (Read 35151 times)

born to be mild

• Weekend Warrior
  • I am not a number, I am a free man.
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Speedtriple
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust Studs
« Reply #25 on: 31 January 2013, 05:30:20 pm »
I would think that its just a spigot for the filter to screw on to, it should ha-ha just undo, you know, just like the exhaust nuts do. The safest bet is to get a parts diagram if Haynes doesnt cover it but I doubt its anything other than a male/male reducer bolted in at the factory probably after the engine is in the frame, the fact that its got a hex on it makes it look like it comes out, but then your entire bike has a hex on it at the moment !
I hope it works out for you, youve more patience than I have in this weather.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 January 2013, 06:44:43 pm »
I thought to check the Haynes after I posted and managed to find that it was 30mm nut and that it allowed the removal of the oil cooler which is the unit behind the oil filter. So after an hour in rush hour traffic to get a 30mm socket, I got back to the pitch black garden and managed to finally get the engine out. Not bad for a days work I think and I'm on schedule. If it wasn't for the meet on Sunday (which I'm trying my fiercest to get to) then I would do a lot more work and maintenance on the engine whilst its out of the frame.

The weather hasn't been overly bad, quite wet on the ground this morning but it remained dry all day but with very strong gusts of wind - damn oil and coolant has gone everywhere because of it :P

So, does anyone know any machine shops in Chelmsford how are cheap and have a quick turn around ;)

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 February 2013, 12:06:48 am »
I thought to check the Haynes after I posted and managed to find that it was 30mm nut and that it allowed the removal of the oil cooler which is the unit behind the oil filter. So after an hour in rush hour traffic to get a 30mm socket, I got back to the pitch black garden and managed to finally get the engine out. Not bad for a days work I think and I'm on schedule. If it wasn't for the meet on Sunday (which I'm trying my fiercest to get to) then I would do a lot more work and maintenance on the engine whilst its out of the frame.

The weather hasn't been overly bad, quite wet on the ground this morning but it remained dry all day but with very strong gusts of wind - damn oil and coolant has gone everywhere because of it :P

So, does anyone know any machine shops in Chelmsford how are cheap and have a quick turn around ;)

There will be other meet-ups and rides, so missing one won't kill you. You might not have the will to pull the engine out and go through all that again later for maintenance work. Concentrate on getting the maintenance work that you need to do sorted, and get the engine right before putting it back in. You could even tidy it up and give it a DIY spray it to jazz it up a bit as well. You'd be more happier at all the other meets for doing so down the road.

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 February 2013, 02:13:44 am »
I think it might be a 22, can't remember now, been awhile since I put my engine in, how far u on with it?

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 February 2013, 09:50:48 am »
@packie: Yeah I know, its something I had considered and the events of today will force my hand one way or the other - if I can't get the studs removed then there is no way I can get the bike ready in time regardless. But I'm young and love mechanics. Doing all the work yesterday was actually fun for me, the back ache etc not so much, but still :P

@reilly: See my previous post above :P It was a 30mm nut and the engine is out and ready to be loaded in to my cage, which I am about to go and do :)

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 01 February 2013, 10:12:16 am »

@reilly: See my previous post above :P It was a 30mm nut and the engine is out and ready to be loaded in to my cage, which I am about to go and do :)

You must be built like Arnie....that a big lump to be....err....lumping!! :eek

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01 February 2013, 10:44:32 am »
I wish I was built like arnie! But I did manage it thankfully. I've just got back from an engineering place who basically said they can't do it in its current state and they would need to have the head removed. They also quoted around £120 for the job and a turn around of about a week... so that wasn't particularly good news.

Probably going to just wait for my impact stud extractor to arrive (damn post) and see how many of them I can get out without snapping. Fingers crossed that I then only need one to be removed and I can find somewhere else that will do it with the head still attached. Needless to say, its likely that the bike will definitely not be ready for Sunday...

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01 February 2013, 10:57:47 am »
thats a shame about sunday matey,nobody can say you have not tryed,well done in getting this far  ;)  that quote sounds a bit high to me might be worth shopping round.......removing the head is straight forward . no special tools needed but you will need a new head gasket  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01 February 2013, 11:34:13 am »
Well if I can get more of the studs out successfully it should drop the quote - he was quoting for removing 7 studs to be fair :P

Update: I've been out in the garden hammering away with my impact driver and successfully removed 5 of the offending studs. 1 more however decided to snap off flush with the head but at least there are only 2 studs to deal with, instead of 7 :P

Going to give one more machine shop a quick ring and see what they say :)

Update 2: Right, I've dropped off the engine with this other company who seemed much more helpful and said that it should be around £25 which is much more acceptable :P Mind you, my thumb is certainly hurting after hitting with the hammer several times  :wall
« Last Edit: 01 February 2013, 05:28:58 pm by Dead Eye »

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #34 on: 01 February 2013, 05:22:12 pm »
Result! I took my FZ engine to my mate who has his own engineering shop but we didn't use anything more than a hand drill with me holding the entire engine so he could give it some welly with the drill. Otherwise he would have wanted the head off to get it on his pillar drill & I've only just fitted it with new gasket & 20 new shims! Cost me £4.50 for his cooked breakfast. Well worth it. I couldn't drill it with engine in frame.
 Really pleased for you.  Don't do your new nuts up too tight when it's all back together! lol

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01 February 2013, 05:30:41 pm »
Haha, yeah I will be applying some copper grease I think and periodically removing them and cleaning them up to prevent it from happening again. Hopefully give the engine a damn good clean whilst its out of the frame as well. I think the previous owners just kept it in running order but never bothered to wash the poor thing.

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #36 on: 01 February 2013, 06:40:02 pm »
Just the nuts. Don't be removing exhaust studs unless you really really got to!

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 February 2013, 06:43:05 pm »
A fair enough point as the studs only needed to be removed because they snapped and they only snapped because the damn nuts wouldn't come off :P

swem

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - honda 400/4 supersport
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01 February 2013, 10:10:22 pm »
hi  i think its either a 30 or a 32   a socket works best  :rolleyes   

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 02 February 2013, 12:41:40 am »
A fair enough point as the studs only needed to be removed because they snapped and they only snapped because the damn nuts wouldn't come off :P

Why would anyone want their nuts to come off?  :moon

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02 February 2013, 09:39:39 am »
great progress deadeye..........do you know when the machine shop can get the work done,would be an epic tale if you can make the run on sunday.......good on yer matey  :D

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02 February 2013, 11:48:23 am »
Unfortunately I don't think it will be until early-mid next week :( They are closed over the weekend and I didn't hear from them yesterday so...

But yeah, progress went pretty well in the end all things considered - first time I've undertaken quite such a large job on the bike. But it was so nice to work on compared to the 25 year old cars I've worked on where every single damn bolt is stuck fast.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 02 February 2013, 01:25:34 pm »
always next month deadeye.......not sure of the turnout on first run but bound to be better on the second  ;) ....good luck getting it all back together and as always if you get stuck post on here and we will see if we can help you  :D

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 02 February 2013, 01:32:38 pm »
But it was so nice to work on compared to the 25 year old cars I've worked on where every single damn bolt is stuck fast.
......errrrr...the reason you have the engine out is that the bolts on yer motorcycle are damn stuck fast!  :oops

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 02 February 2013, 01:43:49 pm »
Yes, BUT that was only 8 studs... on my cars it was every single one you ever tried to undo :P

Every other bolt on the bike came out with no fuss when I was removing the engine, it made the job that much easier

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 04 February 2013, 02:46:31 pm »
hi deadeye.......bit early i know,any news from the machine shop  :)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 04 February 2013, 03:40:02 pm »
In fact yes! :D

I was actually on my way to the shop to collect the engine when you posted your message. So its back with me now, sat with the bike under the cover. Need to get another free day to do some clean-up and re-assembly. I figure this may not be until the weekend however. In any case, I'll update as things progress :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 04 February 2013, 03:49:41 pm »
wow that  was quick  :D ......you now have 27 days until the march meet......clocks ticking  :D :D :D

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 04 February 2013, 08:57:47 pm »
well done. what sort of impact driver did you use to get them out?

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 04 February 2013, 09:14:18 pm »
I bought a 1/2" drive impact driver from Halfords (I couldn't wait :P) and an impact stud remover set from Amazon here; http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001DYRDU2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Most of the larger 1/2" drive extractors range from 6mm up and since the studs are 6mm I wasn't confident that it could get a significant grip. This is why I bought the set which included the 2mm-8mm extractor which worked pretty well. On one of them I almost couldn't get the extractor to let go of the stud once I'd removed it  :lol

After several wacks from a hammer, they all (bar one) began to shift and allowed me to use a socket wrench to remove them without sheering them off any further.

For those who may be interested, the machine shop (Star Engineers in Broomfield) were very helpful and it ended up costing me £40. Since this was for two studs (drilled out, re-tapped and heli-coiled) I didn't think the price was too bad :)