Date: 17-05-24  Time: 18:28 pm

Author Topic: New owner questions  (Read 2858 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
New owner questions
« on: 09 September 2016, 07:10:51 pm »
Just a few things from my first week of ownership. This second gen Fz1n is my first naked bike and first litre bike so some things are taking some getting used to.

Screen or no screen? I don't yet have a screen on the bike. I've just been out on a 'spirited' ride and can honestly say I didn't really enjoy it due to what I think is wind buffeting.
At lower triple figure speeds the front end started to feel quite light and flighty so I tried leaning into it a bit more but as I lowered my head my helmet was being rocked left to right  (kind of like saying no but very fast) it was so bad it actually made me dizzy for a few minutes.
Will a screen help with this?  Or will it make it worse by making an area of lower pressure in front of my face?

Other thing is I have a hyperpro steering damper, again never had a damper before, and it seems very loose which I hope is normal and it also has a dial for setting it. Is this something I should play with or just leave alone? Lol

And lastly it has a standard ecu map so I'm suffering with the crap throttle response from closed to open and getting a lot of (very cool sounding) bangs from the aftermarket exhaust on deceleration. Is there anyway to smooth this out without having to spend a fortune on a power commander and dyno time etc etc?

Sorry for the essay. And thanks in advance for any advice you can give

donut

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: New owner questions
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2016, 08:05:40 pm »
Naked Bike + High Speed = a slap in the face from Physics.

You'll either develop neck muscles like a teenage boys right bicep, or fit a screen.  Airblades are your friend!
If it ain't broke... hit it harder..

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2016, 12:48:13 am »
You can lessen the bangs from the exhaust by just blocking off the ais ,also remove the cat from the collector box , both easy to do and free, search on here and youtube for how to for both mods.
As for the ecu, you have two routes, one as you say power commander or an ecu remap. Both require dyno time to get a map that suits your bike perfectly. I bought a second hand juicebox ( virtually the same as a pc3) and K and N filter, then got my local dyno place to do a map for me, juicebox and filter cost £75 from ebay and map and dyno time was about £155. Well worth it as I now have 143bhp at back wheel.
I messed about for ages with different fuel maps from dynojet, two brothers and ones from the American FZ1forum, before I bit the bullet and booked some dyno time, some of the other maps made no difference and some made it worse!
If you do go down the power commander route I can give you a copy of my fuel map to try out.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2016, 08:15:53 am »
Thanks for the input guys.
Can anyone recommend a nice looking screen? I can only find 2 and they are both fugly half round things. I'm hoping for something a bit sharper to match the bikes aesthetic
As for the engine mods I've looked into the AIS and seems a simple enough job. I may get round to the Cat removal one day but seems a bit more involved job.
You mentioned a K&n air filter, are they the best one for this bike? On my last bike (Yzf600r) they were terrible as they used to tear and send bits of fluff into the carbs but that was a sheet like air filter. I see the Fz's is different.

Is a remap the only way to sort out the throttle then? as that's what annoys me most. It may just be cause I'm not used to it yet but there's almost a 1 second pause between shifting and the power coming back on again so I end up momentarily being thrown forward as I lose momentum then being thrown back when the power finally comes on. Look like a right newb haha I've tried clutch less shifting but that doesn't really help. Does a quickshifter fix it at all? It's really my only gripe with the bike.

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2016, 12:32:53 pm »
I had a gen 2 a few years back and that was my main gripe with the bike, awful snatchy throttle response. I went on various forums and an Ivan's fuel cut eliminator was recommended. I installed it and it improved slightly but I was never 100% happy with the throttle response.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2016, 01:19:37 pm »
Yeah I am thinking a pc and Ivans map are gonna be the way to go when I've got the money to pump into it. But seeing as I spent 5k on the bike only last week, the boss isn't gonna let me spend anymore till after Xmas haha

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2016, 01:55:39 pm »
One of the nice things about naked bikes is the fact that before you reach licence loosing speeds you know about it because of the wind. ITs far too easy on sports bikes to do 100+ and think you are still doing less than 70 because of the lack of buffeting from the wind.

Get used to it and use it as a licence saver.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2016, 02:15:12 pm »
That's a very good point 👍 haha still wouldn't mind a small screen in time for the winter though

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2016, 07:35:10 pm »
If I remember correctly, I fitted a Puig screen on mine, it wasn't rounded, more pointed to match the front of the bike.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2016, 09:41:44 pm »
Thanks Jon!! They're exactly the kind of thing I'm after. I've found them from M&P for reasonable price 😊

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2016, 10:05:03 am »
Excellent, enjoy  :thumbup