Date: 18-05-24  Time: 18:13 pm

Author Topic: Down but not out!  (Read 7626 times)

paul1606

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Down but not out!
« Reply #25 on: 03 June 2012, 10:09:49 am »
Glad to hear your unhurt, you only find how good your insurance company is in the event of a claim (as you will soon find out) they will look for any "get out" clause, you say all mods where pretty well declaired does that mean that some although trivial are,nt? because they will try that against you.
As for the commuting they don,t know that you do or dont work shifts so you could of been on a pleasure ride, all in all they might air on the side of leanience as they will probably recoup their losses from the other party.

dx408

• custard tart muncher
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki V-Strom 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 June 2012, 04:53:57 pm »
Sorry to hear about your off BUT you are still "here" THAT is the important thing.
Dont ask it's a chef thing
After 15 years EX-Fazer owner XJR. XJR gone FJR, FJR gone NEW FJR that's gone, now Triumph Tiger Explorer  an CB400n Superdream sold BMW 650 Funduro sold Now a R1200GA Adventure Rallye next ? OK so where next turns out to be V-Strom 1050 NEXT?

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 June 2012, 12:03:04 pm »
Well the bike has been assesed and the repair costs including labour and vat = £4492.27
max the bike is worth i would say useing thier books will be £2.5 - £3K
but I have been told that it may be close enough that they will repair it and the repair company have made the recomendation that repairs be made due to the condition and milage of the bike.
now its just a waiting game to see what his insurance say. but as they are charging silly money for the hire bike and also now for topbox and rack hire. the faster they sort it the better for them lol

BLD the company dealing with the bike side of things have been pretty good, but the CW law ppl dealing with the injury/items like helm etc are a fucking nightmare to deal with. HUGE amounts of paperwork and so far have been 3 drafts because they keep getting things wrong and not just small things either. they also have no clue from 1 end of a bike to another let alone a clue about bike gear.
free legal cover included in my policy is one thing, but its worth jack if they are crap.

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 June 2012, 12:08:46 pm »
Free legal cover is a waste of time IMHO ,much better to go to sorrymate etc its no win no fee anyway
Its just a ride

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 June 2012, 12:21:56 pm »
Affter dealing with these muppets i agree with you.

imax

Top Banana
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 19 June 2012, 03:02:57 pm »
If you haven't already done so, don't forget to change your insurance to include commuting!! ;)

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 June 2012, 11:02:41 pm »
yeah just changed it today as i had to contact them again. boom inusrance jumps from £101 to £161 lol just because i now have a job and want to use the bike to get there. or maybe its because of what job i now do ....... traffic warden :P

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 June 2012, 11:26:47 pm »
yeah just changed it today as i had to contact them again. boom inusrance jumps from £101 to £161 lol just because i now have a job and want to use the bike to get there. or maybe its because of what job i now do ....... traffic warden :P
:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek ..........just choked on me ovaltine !! :lol :lol :lol  only kidding mate.not.......i am really :rolleyes

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 June 2012, 07:57:17 am »
I cant agree on the legal expenses comments...I have used them 3 times VERY successfully....I paid about £25 extra on the policy, but have reaped that back an undisclosed amount more... :)

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 June 2012, 08:20:22 am »
Oh I have no doubt I will get my costs back for. Helm etc in the end. And its free on my policy but my complaint is they know jack about bikes or bike gear so its hard getting the right info across to them. Thus taking 4 times longer at each stage than it needs to.

Janet

• DAS Born Again
  • Mad woman
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
    • Torque Monsters Home Page
« Reply #35 on: 21 June 2012, 08:21:39 am »
I cant agree on the legal expenses comments...I have used them 3 times VERY successfully....I paid about £25 extra on the policy, but have reaped that back an undisclosed amount more... :)

I've only used it once in 1990 - the very first year that I paid for it! Mine was through DAS. The solicitor assigned didn't know a lot about bikes, but did know plenty about law. She got me full settlement in a case where I knew that it wasn't my fault but the other side was too arrogant to accept that they could possibly have been in the wrong and fought it tooth and nail. Needless to say I've always paid for it since then.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 21 June 2012, 10:52:28 am »
After my spill last year (and BLD were pretty good, Minster Law, a whole nother story!) I paid extra for the legal cover on my current policy.

Time will tell etc but this time I'd rather not leave it to chance...

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21 June 2012, 11:18:47 am »
I said FREE legal cover as normally your just farmed out to Jobbers or "legal advisors"
Its just a ride

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 22 June 2012, 08:11:50 am »
I always ensure I have full  legal expenses cover..as if you dont have a cast iron case with witnesses, most insurance companies will go knock for knock , and blame can be apportioned unfairly. In all my claims my insurance company has never once fought my corner. Its ALWAYS been the lawyers who get the result for me.These have been proper solicitors not ambulance chasers, and all legal costs met in full by the policy..
My first claim was in 1976, a smidsy claim which was fought for me  when my dad got legal expenses cover on his AA policy , and I got £1500 damages...thats about a years salary for me  back then!!.
 I wont disclose how much compo I have had since then but believe me , its mega compared to the legal policy outlay. I cannot stress enuff just how valuable this is...none of my compo has been obtained by my insurers...they dont give  a damn.