Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:19 am

Author Topic: Centre Stand Issue  (Read 1889 times)

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
Centre Stand Issue
« on: 28 March 2022, 04:39:30 pm »
Just had the old girl MOT'd.

Got an advisory for the centre stand being stiff and to be fair it is.  Don't use it so never noticed.  Had a good look underneath and it's a bit scabby.

Suspect it's a bit of corrosion between stand and frame with the bolts being also looking a touch tired.

The garage told me it needs sorting ASAP as the stand could come down whilst riding.  This clearly makes me nervous but using my limited brain I'm not convinced it would just flap down, more the other case that it's more likely to stay up?  Surely that's what the spring is for.  I guess if the spring came off then yes it could come down with gravity.

Any advice appreciated.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Centre Stand Issue
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2022, 06:41:36 pm »
take it off, clean it up and see if its good enough to put back on again.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2022, 07:08:27 pm »
After reading other threads on the issue I'm less terrorised by the prospect of removing it. Doesn't seem too difficult and Darrsi has put a good tip on how to refit it.

It looks to be in reasonable condition but will benefit from a wire brush and some hammerite.

I suspect bolt removal will be the difficult part but hopefully a bit of heat might help.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2022, 08:42:50 pm »
If the spring rusts through (generally happens around where it bends into a u-shape at each end) you'll have a lump of metal dragging on the ground which would not be a good thing!

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2022, 10:03:05 pm »
If the spring was an issue the advisory would have said loose rather than stiff, possibly the lug the spring attaches to could be corroded. As said, just take it off clean and grease it, anything catastrophic will be glaringly obvious. If it's beyond repair then simply remove it as you don't use it anyway then it will be neither stiff or loose 👍
*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2022, 03:50:16 pm »
Well it turned out to be a simple job. Sprayed some degreaser in the pivot points and with a few up and downs of the stand it's as free as a bird.

Took the opportunity to wire brush it and paint it without taking it off. Actually in reasonable condition.

Once dry a liberal covering in copper grease will be applied.

Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2022, 08:45:18 pm by Middy2000 »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2022, 10:18:53 pm »
Well it turned out to be a simple job. Sprayed some degreaser in the pivot points and work a few up and downs of the stand it's as free as a bird.

Took the opportunity to wire brush it and paint it without taking it off. Actually in reasonable condition.

Thanks for the help.

Why didn't you just take it off, it's dead easy to do. It seems daunting but you just do one side at a time and it's simple to remove and put back on.

Don't use copper grease on the pivot, that's used for threads to stop seizing, just use the heaviest grade grease you have.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 April 2022, 10:42:03 am »
Well it turned out to be a simple job. Sprayed some degreaser in the pivot points and work a few up and downs of the stand it's as free as a bird.

Thanks for the help.

Why didn't you just take it off, it's dead easy to do. It seems daunting but you just do one side at a time and it's simple to remove and put back on.

Don't use copper grease on the pivot, that's used for threads to stop seizing, just use the heaviest grade grease you have.
The spring can be a right bitch to get back on especially if you don't have the luxury of a ramp so I can sympathise with the slack job 😉
*Disclaimer*

Middy2000

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Sinnis Apache 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2022, 08:48:42 pm »
I could get access to all of it to paint it in position so I didn't want the hassle of any refitting issues.

Noted reference copper grease, I've wrongly been using it for a variety of applications. It's always been my go-to for such issues.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 April 2022, 08:25:37 am »

Thanks for the help.

The spring can be a right bitch to get back on especially if you don't have the luxury of a ramp so I can sympathise with the slack job 😉

It really isn't difficult at all?

You attach the spring first, then one side of the stand, then pull the stand over to the other side and bolt it up. It takes very little effort.

Are you trying to stretch the spring on its own, because that really would be a nightmare, but not the way to do things fortunately.

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 April 2022, 12:06:47 pm »

Are you trying to stretch the spring on its own, because that really would be a nightmare, but not the way to do things fortunately.
Haha I have done it that way back in the day, it's a wonder I ever managed to install the stand at all 🤣
*Disclaimer*

SamTomlin94

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2022, 10:11:15 pm »

Haha I have done it that way back in the day, it's a wonder I ever managed to install the stand at all 🤣

One way I did find to work was to put one end in a vice, then flex it to one side and put a cable tie in there, then do the same to the other side....rinse and repeat slowly up the spring and below you know it you've stretched the spring enough to reattach to the bike. Once it's on you can either clip off the ties, or put the bike onto the stand and the ties should just fall out!

SamTomlin94

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2022, 10:13:02 pm »
Also, if you don't use the stand I'd agree and just keep it off. If it's not on there it can't fail an MOT!  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2022, 08:24:49 am »

One way I did find to work was to put one end in a vice, then flex it to one side and put a cable tie in there, then do the same to the other side....rinse and repeat slowly up the spring and below you know it you've stretched the spring enough to reattach to the bike. Once it's on you can either clip off the ties, or put the bike onto the stand and the ties should just fall out!

Try the way i mention above in future, it's much less hassle. No need for a vice either.

SamTomlin94

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2022, 06:30:01 pm »
Will certainly give it a try!