Date: 18-04-24  Time: 02:26 am

Author Topic: Whoever posts last is best  (Read 148097 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Whoever posts last is best
« Reply #875 on: 28 March 2022, 05:50:45 pm »
Hope you managed to get out over the weekend, weather was almost perfect, if a tad cool first thing yesterday. At least you’ve got got some two wheeled backup, whilst the mighty thou slumbers on, making full use of its pillowcase. :)
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: 29 March 2022, 08:46:23 pm »
Hope you managed to get out over the weekend, weather was almost perfect, if a tad cool first thing yesterday. At least you’ve got got some two wheeled backup, whilst the mighty thou slumbers on, making full use of its pillowcase. :)

I've put all of the parts required in a box which is on the bench in the way. That'll remind me to get cracking.
Started to clean the exhaust up. Was sorely tempted to go down the Harpic route, however, I have read articles that mention that the chemical reaction "embrittles" the metal and that if you don't neutralize it properly the rust will be back very quickly.
Out with the Autosol on the headers - and they are starting to look good. Might even run them over the polishing wheel.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: 01 April 2022, 11:48:45 am »
Used the Harpic method on my Triumph with no ill effects, but will certainly take on board the “embrittle” advice. My Fazer was fairly mint when I bought it with only 8,000 on the clock. That’s allowed me to keep on top of the state of the headers that now have got 40k+ on them. Solvol and thin strips of rag or mutton cloth work well if you don’t have to take them off.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: 03 April 2022, 07:24:32 pm »
Used the Harpic method on my Triumph with no ill effects, but will certainly take on board the “embrittle” advice. My Fazer was fairly mint when I bought it with only 8,000 on the clock. That’s allowed me to keep on top of the state of the headers that now have got 40k+ on them. Solvol and thin strips of rag or mutton cloth work well if you don’t have to take them off.

I've taken mine off - I'll freshen up the paint on the front of the engine at the same time. Problem is - each time I start to clean/refresh something, something else to do hove's into view  :'( .
Never mind, can't see too many miles being done this year.........
« Last Edit: 04 April 2022, 08:43:42 pm by fazerscotty »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: 06 April 2022, 10:15:05 pm »
Nice job :thumbup . Shame they don’t stay like that for long when they’re back on the bike. Very rewarding, doing a proper job though. Hope the engine paint refresh goes ok.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: 10 April 2022, 03:30:44 pm »
Nice job :thumbup . Shame they don’t stay like that for long when they’re back on the bike. Very rewarding, doing a proper job though. Hope the engine paint refresh goes ok.

Not getting very far - laid up with a viral infection (not covid). Drained the coolant though. Will take the radiator off - there are some fins which need a straighten and I'll blow it over with some fresh paint....... :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: 11 April 2022, 05:34:42 pm »
Sorry to hear you're a bit under the weather, hopefully just a short term thing, that will soon see you well. The rads do take a lot of abuse with the short front mudguard. A couple of years back I succumbed to a fender extender, think they look awful, but certainly do their job. It'll be valve check time this winter, so might consider getting my rad recored while it's off the bike.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: 12 April 2022, 11:08:05 am »
Sorry to hear you're a bit under the weather, hopefully just a short term thing, that will soon see you well. The rads do take a lot of abuse with the short front mudguard. A couple of years back I succumbed to a fender extender, think they look awful, but certainly do their job. It'll be valve check time this winter, so might consider getting my rad recored while it's off the bike.

I've got the extender on - previous owner installed it. I even have a rad guard, but there is a small area, approx 1" x 1" where there are about half a dozen fins that are no longer straight.
Radiator re-core? How much will that cost?

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: 17 April 2022, 07:41:18 pm »
Robbo - here's more progress.

I hope you've had a good weekend in the home of cheese eating, surrender monkeys........ :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: 18 April 2022, 03:32:13 pm »
Excellent job you're doing there :thumbup . Currently at a heaving Eurotunnel terminal, full of screaming kids....if only they had on OFF switch :lol

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: 19 April 2022, 01:00:19 pm »
Yesterdays progress......

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: 25 April 2022, 07:09:54 am »
Very nice job indeed, especially with the engine in place :thumbup . Certainly gives inspiration to anyone with the common silver engine flaking problem. It'll be too good to ride soon :lol .

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: 25 April 2022, 07:39:05 pm »
Very nice job indeed, especially with the engine in place :thumbup . Certainly gives inspiration to anyone with the common silver engine flaking problem. It'll be too good to ride soon :lol .

I am planning on sitting at the bench tomorrow, carbs in hand, to fit the Slip On Kit.
Tools are laid out ready.
Just checked the kit - WTF is the self tapper for?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: 26 April 2022, 12:25:40 pm »

I am planning on sitting at the bench tomorrow, carbs in hand, to fit the Slip On Kit.
For blocking off a hose ?

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: 26 April 2022, 07:47:25 pm »

Mmmm - possible, I hadn't thought of that  :eek .
Meanwhile, bypass holes drilled this afternoon. New O rings fitted to the mixture screws and screws adjusted to the recommended setting.
Float bowls removed ready for the next stage - changing the main jets and O rings fitted to them. New float needles and seats and then sort out the float heights.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: 27 April 2022, 04:17:03 pm »

I know what it for............

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: 27 April 2022, 08:28:12 pm »

I know what it for............
And……..

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #892 on: 28 April 2022, 08:30:36 am »
Some yank carbs have a blanking cap over the air screws, the self tapper is for pulling the cap out, you probably won't need it for a UK bike.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: 28 April 2022, 08:50:52 pm »
Some yank carbs have a blanking cap over the air screws, the self tapper is for pulling the cap out, you probably won't need it for a UK bike.

haha lol - exactly that.
Only got the needles/clips/slides to do, then the carbs can go back on.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: 29 April 2022, 09:03:53 am »

haha lol - exactly that.
Out on it this weekend then. It’s the Mayday Run on Monday down south. That would be a good shakedown trip. :thumbup

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: 30 April 2022, 03:27:58 pm »

haha lol - exactly that.
Out on it this weekend then. It’s the Mayday Run on Monday down south. That would be a good shakedown trip. :thumbup

'Fraid not - just finished the carbs. They're ready to go back on but my hands are giving me grief, so I've called it a day today - maybe tomorrow  :'( .

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: 30 April 2022, 05:29:38 pm »
Fortunately yours is not a "must do" task, so you can go back to it when you feel like it and are up to it. Certainly have to be in the right mindset for that carb job, that's for sure........by the way "Maybe Tomorrow" was Billy Fury's debut single in 1959....I'll get me coat :lol

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: 01 May 2022, 12:23:41 pm »
Fortunately yours is not a "must do" task, so you can go back to it when you feel like it and are up to it. Certainly have to be in the right mindset for that carb job, that's for sure........by the way "Maybe Tomorrow" was Billy Fury's debut single in 1959....I'll get me coat :lol

And "Remember Tomorrow" came from Iron Maidens 1980 Album "Iron Maiden"!
Got mine on already - coat that is............

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: 02 May 2022, 10:07:01 pm »
It suits you sir….the coat that is. :lol . Not that familiar with Iron Maiden’s music, but have just listened to a few tracks off that album on You Tube :thumbup

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: 04 May 2022, 08:24:10 pm »
Been listening to them for years - even seen them live. Some of their more recent stuff is not so good as the early tracks, but I think that happens a lot with rock bands anyway.

Hoping to get cracking with the carbs on Friday - just been told that we're going on holiday in a week or so...........