Author Topic: Carbs?  (Read 950 times)

nordboy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Carbs?
« on: 21 March 2021, 09:10:36 am »
Morning, My Fazer has pretty much been in the garage for 12/13 months and started/run maybe two or three times. I got it out yesterday after buying a new battery just to get it running.

Managed to get it started and idling on half choke, but the moment I turn the choke off or give it any throttle at all, it stalls.

My first guess is carb jets? Anything else I should look at?

Also, I'm not 100%, but was 'told' that it was Ivanised, so if I buy new jets, am I ok with standard or do I need different ones? I'd really like to get it back on the road this year, but have limited budget/ time or spannering skills (see suspension thread).  Thanks in advance.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: Carbs?
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2021, 10:40:15 am »
This comes up a lot (even before covid), if you store a bike for that long you should always drain the petrol from the tank and carbs (or the carbs at the very least)

On the face of it, it could be the slow circuit in the carbs is blocked (if that is the case, its a remove, strip and clean job). How long did you let the bike run for before trying to give it some throttle?
« Last Edit: 21 March 2021, 10:50:44 am by b1k3rdude »

nordboy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2021, 01:50:03 pm »
This comes up a lot (even before covid), if you store a bike for that long you should always drain the petrol from the tank and carbs (or the carbs at the very least)

On the face of it, it could be the slow circuit in the carbs is blocked (if that is the case, its a remove, strip and clean job). How long did you let the bike run for before trying to give it some throttle?

Probably between 5-10 mins easy I would say

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2021, 07:41:10 am »
Blocked pilot jets.  I'll put money on it. :)

The fuel is old, too, so that won't be helping.  Strip and clean the carbs, no need to change jets or settings. 

Also, while you have the carbs out, change the O-rings on the float needle valve seats.

nordboy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2021, 08:11:37 pm »
Excellent, thanks both

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2021, 09:35:40 pm »
you'll also need to potentially re-balance the carbs after you have put them back into the bike.