Date: 29-03-24  Time: 01:42 am

Author Topic: Blocked pilot jet !! Again !!  (Read 2009 times)

judder

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
Blocked pilot jet !! Again !!
« on: 01 June 2021, 08:48:01 pm »
Evening everyone  !! Not been on for some time but I have a question. Hope someone can advise me. I renewed the pilot jets on my Fzs600 18 months ago. All good. Now the bike has stood a while as there was nowhere to go during the pandemic and I find just No1 pilot is blocked again. Question is, has anyone managed to remove the float bowl and jet without taking the carbs off .It looks do able but fiddly if I can adapt a screwdriver. I wish I had put Allen screws in. No1, rear brake pedal side.Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: 11 June 2021, 11:17:46 pm by b1k3rdude »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Blocked pilot jet !! Again !!
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2021, 09:12:47 pm »
Whilst it is possible, its not worth the hassle. I had the same issue myself.

Tank off, side panels removed, fuel pump rail removed, airbox bolts loosened, carb rubbers (front and back) loosened, Choke cable off, carbs out to the left of the frame and remove the throttle cables, Bowls off, clean jets, bowls back on, all refitted - total time including a couple of cigarette stops - 90 mins
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2021, 07:45:04 am »
I renewed the pilot jets on my Fz6 18 months ago.

Hold on, do you mean FZS?  The FZ6 is fuel injected it doesn't have carbs/float bowls? 
Later

judder

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2021, 04:07:39 pm »
Sorry Gnasher, my mistake. I've edited now to fzs600. Thanks to you BBrown for your advice . You're probably right, not worth messing about. Sometimes it takes someone else to confirm what I'm thinking is the logical way forward  !! Many thanks for your input !!!

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2021, 06:08:18 pm »
No worries just checking.  If the jets have blocked that quick, it suggests to me you've got either fine sediment in the tank and or the filter is falling or both. 

You need to run some fuel off into a light coloured cup from the main feel to the carbs, the carb side of the filter and check what's in the bottom.  Before you do that disconnect the fuel line to the float bowls and give the bike a good shake so as to stir up the fuel in the tank.  As quick as you can run off some fuel.  If it's got sediment in it you need to drain the tank and check for corrosion, if you have it will just get worse and keep blocking the jets.

If it's not to bad flush and treat the tank, look on line there's several methods, pick one the suits you, failing that you may have to replace the tank.  Biggest cause of tank corrosion is dents, if they are deep enough they crack the inner coating and rust, look for filler.

The fuel in the tank can be reused, just run it into a fuel can and allow it to settle.  Once the tank is repaired of changed, slowly pour the fuel into a glass jug and then back into the tank, making sure any sediment stays in the jug.
Later

judder

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2021, 10:52:23 pm »
Gnasher !! Thanks for taking the time to give your lengthy reply !! All good advice. I'll follow that to see if it's a fuel problem and report back as soon as I can. Many thanks.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2021, 12:52:15 am »
It is unlikely sediment in the tank would get through the 3 filters in the fuel line. The most likely reason is it is left on the sidestand all the time it is  idle, then as the fuel evaporates the first float bowl to drop low enough to gum up the pilot jet is the one on the right. Only solution to the problem if you are leaving it idle for more than a month then every 2 weeks  switch on the ignition, put the kill switch in the run position and allow the pump to fill the bowls, when the pump stops ticking switch off the ignition and switch it on again to ensure the pump did not stop because it timed out. That will solve the issue.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2021, 09:02:13 am »
I must have said it hundreds of times on this board don't start your bike every few weeks when not used even over winter.  Sediment does and will get through filters, it this that causes what you call gum. 

Strip almost any carb and you'll find what looks like brown staining in the corners of the float bowl, look at it under x20 magnification it's tiny particles i.e. sediment.  Vacuum taps stop more fuel entering the float bowls once the engine is turned off, the fuel will evaporate in a few weeks in winter possible days in summer depending how the bike is kept.  Constant refilling and evaporation will encourage more sediment, eventually it will block the pilot jet/s. The vast majority of bikes I get in with blocked pilot jets over winter, the owner has run the bike every week or so.  They stop starting their bikes every week or so and surprise, surprise they don't get blocked jets anymore.  Now I'm not saying you'll never get it but highly unlikely.   

What causes it, in my experience it's not just the fuel, it's a few other factors, bad fuel storage/transportation forecourt fuel tanks contain water which sinks to the bottom, it's not all bad as fuel floats on it and any crap in the fuel sinks to the bottom.  The tanks and pumps need servicing i.e. the tanks pumped out and replaced every 20yrs, small garages and some fanciseses aren't that good with this maintenance.  I know of garages who haven't replaced their in well over 30 yrs, they never shut in all that time.  The crap and corrosion in the tank builds up in the bottom, if they allow them to get too low this can get sucked up and/or when they're filled it stirs it all up add that to sides corroding you get tiny particles (sediment) suspended in the fuel.  If you're unlucky enough to be one of the first to fill after they've refilled it will stop the engine, this happens surprisingly quite regularly.  Other sources are corroding bike tanks, dents being the biggest culprit and old top up fuel cans metal ones being the worst offenders.

Some bikes that are barn finds or just taken off the road and left for many years, can and do suffer other forms of blocked carbs, sediment, dissolved gaskets/O rings residue, water/damp/moisture.  Many lacquers applied to a lot of surfaces, degrade over time and the surface becomes sticky and soft this also causes real gum.       

Yes fuel will slowly be less efficient/volatile (go off) but in my experience it takes at takes years even more.  My ZX10R is stored (parked) at my son's, just turned off and left, it hadn't been started for well over a year approx 18 months.  This April I started it and rode it, pictures are in the photo challenge, it started first go no loss of power or drivability.  My XJR nor used for 10 months, again just turn off and sitting in my garage, primed the carbs started first prod, my Fazer 600 once stood for almost 5 years, it started, yes to wasn't quite as it should have been but topped up with fresh fuel and all was good.  Common denominators, I don't start them until I want to use them, I only use quality fuel Shell/Esso etc, no dents and I don't use contaminated fuel cans. 

Now what will be interesting is what effect 10% ethanol (E10) will have, current E5 as far as I can tell is doing nothing. 

Later