Would you be willing to take a covid vaccine  

yes
35 (71.4%)
no
6 (12.2%)
Dont know
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: The Covid thread  (Read 69995 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: The Covid thread
« Reply #825 on: 13 June 2021, 12:50:33 pm »
And to misquote someone by only posting part of what they posted is unproductive at best and antagonistic at worst. 

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: 13 June 2021, 02:15:51 pm »
Fine no worries - I see no point in further posting here today if you are just going to remove things YOU do not agree with.
By removing a few lines of text that is EXACTLY what you have done.
I'll explain this to both of you one time, parts of each post were removed and the reason given in each post. Its called moderating and said edits and decisions are not up for discussion. And on that note I have removed 2 of your posts as they are off-topic.   

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #827 on: 13 June 2021, 09:41:03 pm »
I have heard the "seat belt" one on the radio too.  :rolleyes And I have heard it repeated loads of times from people repeating it as though it was their own.

I don't listen to the radio. Neither have I heard anyone else using that analogy. 

Its apt that you should use the seatbelt metaphor because the same communities that we are referring to who are refusing the jab are also the same ones who repeatedly flout the seatbelt laws.

When I've been out on the roads I have seen people from all "communities" not wearing seatbelts, usng mobile phones and doing other dangerous things.

Please stop implying that only people from a particular area or a specific ethic origin or any other discriminatory references are responsible for this, because that is not the case and I will not engage in any further discussions of such topics.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: 13 June 2021, 09:46:36 pm »
There will ALWAYS be a risk of new outbreaks, this is one virus that is not going away for a very long time. But surely being on a small island like ours, and with the undoubtedly fantastic vaccine programme that we had the privilege to be a part of, does it not make total sense to want to "keep it at bay" as much as possible?

We HAD that opportunity over a year ago!

We have *repeatedly* had opportunities to keep it at bay, unfortunately some people were more concerned about their "freedoms" (or their profits!) and made decisions that have been derided as hindsight, often by the people who couldn't or wouldn't make the hard decisions.

Our main downfall will generally come from people bringing the virus in from outside of the UK, seeing as some countries are still in a right state and out of control

There are countries which are CRYING OUT for the vaccines which have been hogged by the rich countries who were patting themselves on the back for getting their orders in first and buying up huge stocks (more than their people could ever need).

This contributes to them being in a "right state and out of control".

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: 13 June 2021, 11:19:57 pm »
When I've been out on the roads I have seen people from all "communities" not wearing seatbelts, usng mobile phones and doing other dangerous things.
In my experience, drivers of white vans with the name of some builders on the side

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: 13 June 2021, 11:27:32 pm »
Our main downfall will generally come from people bringing the virus in from outside of the UK, seeing as some countries are still in a right state and out of control

As I may have mentioned before...... in January we were that country. The Alpha variant originating in Kent led to our infection rate soaring, causing a second wave, which we 'exported' all round Europe
There is no point us, or any other country pointing the finger. We're all in this together.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: 14 June 2021, 05:43:30 am »
There will ALWAYS be a risk of new outbreaks, this is one virus that is not going away for a very long time. But surely being on a small island like ours, and with the undoubtedly fantastic vaccine programme that we had the privilege to be a part of, does it not make total sense to want to "keep it at bay" as much as possible?

We HAD that opportunity over a year ago!

We have *repeatedly* had opportunities to keep it at bay, unfortunately some people were more concerned about their "freedoms" (or their profits!) and made decisions that have been derided as hindsight, often by the people who couldn't or wouldn't make the hard decisions.

There are countries which are CRYING OUT for the vaccines which have been hogged by the rich countries who were patting themselves on the back for getting their orders in first and buying up huge stocks (more than their people could ever need).

This contributes to them being in a "right state and out of control".

You can't knock us for "patting ourselves on the back" just because we got something right for a change? Would you prefer us to have not been ahead of the game and done things differently, and perhaps been at the back of the queue instead, because that would just not make any sense? 

By the way, India, for example, has the 5th largest economy in the world, so what's their excuse? It's not money, it's a blatant disregard of the capabilities of the virus. They can't even use the excuse that it came from nowhere, as they've had over a year to contemplate any kind of plan. But the reality is that they shrugged it off in the hope that god would watch over them, and that ideology is not turning out too well right now.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #832 on: 14 June 2021, 08:15:32 am »
The Alpha variant originating in Kent led to our infection rate soaring, causing a second wave, which we 'exported' all round Europe
There is no point us, or any other country pointing the finger. We're all in this together.

We dont know it originated in this country or any other country, its just it was first detected in larger numbers in Kent. For all we know it could have come over on a rubber dingy from Calais or via Bristol/Berlin/Brighton/anywhere. This is one of the reasons that have now renamed it the Alpha variant and the "Indian variant" is now known as the Delta variant. Too much finger pointing and blaming other places.

Personally, I stall blame the Chinese :pokefun
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: 14 June 2021, 09:51:45 am »
You can't knock us for "patting ourselves on the back" just because we got something right for a change? Would you prefer us to have not been ahead of the game and done things differently, and perhaps been at the back of the queue instead, because that would just not make any sense? 

It's not an either/or situation.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: 14 June 2021, 10:23:34 am »

Meaning?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: 14 June 2021, 10:26:17 am »
The Alpha variant originating in Kent led to our infection rate soaring, causing a second wave, which we 'exported' all round Europe

We dont know it originated in this country or any other country, its just it was first detected in larger numbers in Kent. For all we know it could have come over on a rubber dingy from Calais or via Bristol/Berlin/Brighton/anywhere. This is one of the reasons that have now renamed it the Alpha variant and the "Indian variant" is now known as the Delta variant. Too much finger pointing and blaming other places.

Personally, I stall blame the Chinese :pokefun

Same as the Spanish Flu, it was definitely not started in Spain. They were the ones who had free reign to report on it, due to having no involvement in WW1, whereas most other countries had a total media ban.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: 14 June 2021, 09:00:16 pm »

Meaning?

Meaning it doesn't have to be either selfishly buying up and then hogging vaccines when we have ordered more than we'd ever need or being "at the back of the queue".

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #837 on: 15 June 2021, 08:06:48 am »
I'd have thought being the major funder of the AZ vaccine and part of the requirement being "at cost" and easier to store in hot countries makes the UK pretty charitable in the first place.We should be free to pat ourselves on the back for that.

Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: 15 June 2021, 11:10:28 pm »
I'd have thought being the major funder of the AZ vaccine and part of the requirement being "at cost" and easier to store in hot countries makes the UK pretty charitable in the first place.We should be free to pat ourselves on the back for that.

You might like to check who tried to claim that it was "because of greed".

Oh, and: "More than £228 million worth of grants were identified – the largest chunk of which came from overseas governments including the EU, followed by the UK and then charitable organisations. [...]

"As coronavirus started to spread in January 2020, the UK government stepped in with more than £33 million of funding for the vaccine – on top of the £5 million it had already given"

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-97-publicly-funded-researchers-reveal-264377/

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: 19 June 2021, 07:08:11 pm »
An interesting article someone pointed me to...

Long Covid: Vaccine cuts chances of getting condition by a third, according to major new study

“Put simply, vaccinations help reduce the chance of getting Covid, and in the unlikely event you do develop it, a reduced chance of going on to get Long Covid.”