Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:29 am

Poll

Have you managed to free up your Gen1 seized compression damping adjusters?

Yes.
2 (20%)
No. Gave up.
6 (60%)
Didn't bother trying
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Another seized damping adjuster thread (poll recently added - please respond).  (Read 8262 times)

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
My Gen1 has seized fork compression damping adjusters. They have been seized for the three years I have owned the bike. I have tried PlusGas daily for a fortnight but no joy.

Can anyone supply a step by step removal procedure please. I am sure it's not difficult but I don't want to inadvertently dislocate something. Is removal do-able on the bike or do forks need to be stripped?
« Last Edit: 21 June 2015, 05:42:54 pm by Jez »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: Another seized damping adjuster thread
« Reply #1 on: 09 June 2015, 08:33:39 pm »
This is a bit extreme but works in some cases, have you tried heating up the whole area while applying graphite penetrating spray..?

Got pics of the fork tube bottoms..?

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2015, 09:38:02 am »
The adjuster screws can be released but you'll need patience and a lube of some kind. Place a car jack or blocks under the exhaust, take the front wheel off the bike and rotate the bottom of the forks so that the adjusters face forward. This will allow the lube to run down into the adjuster. I would avoid wd40 as it swells the rubber seals. Use a large screw driver that fits well to avoid damaging the screw heads.
As suggested already you may need to apply heat to the adjuster.

Jim.

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2015, 07:56:44 pm »
The adjuster screws can be released but you'll need patience and a lube of some kind. Place a car jack or blocks under the exhaust, take the front wheel off the bike and rotate the bottom of the forks so that the adjusters face forward. This will allow the lube to run down into the adjuster. I would avoid wd40 as it swells the rubber seals. Use a large screw driver that fits well to avoid damaging the screw heads.
As suggested already you may need to apply heat to the adjuster.

Jim.

I was trying to avoid removing the forks so your idea means I won't have to. A recent track day highlighted a few things to do so while I do them I will try what you suggest.

This is a bit extreme but works in some cases, have you tried heating up the whole area while applying graphite penetrating spray..?

Got pics of the fork tube bottoms..?

I haven't tried this but it may come to it unless someone can advise about removing the whole thing.

No pics at the mo.

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2015, 08:58:09 am »
The whole adjuster can be removed but you'd have to remove the forks to avoid losing all the fork oil. The complete adjuster is loctited in place and it's a very fine pitch thread. Best bet to avoid any damage is to keep trying the penetrating fluid.
Good luck.

Jim.

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2015, 06:38:03 pm »
I have today turned round the forks and reinserted the front wheel and spindle for support. Started spraying with PlusGas. Lets see how this goes.

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2015, 05:25:54 pm »
Since reversing the forks I have gone one stage further and removed them completely. They have spent the last five days or so lying on the bench with PlusGas regularly sprayed onto the adjusters. It has got to the point where the PlusGas soaks into one of the adjusters but not the other.

I have tried waking them up with a sharp tap. I used a paint stripper heat gun to try to loosen the aluminium surrounds. Today I even tried using in impact driver, all to no avail. I am on the point of giving up  :'( .

Before I do give up for good I would like to get a feel of how realistic it might be that these bastards will ever move again. I am going to start a poll. Please will people let me know whether or not you were successful in freeing up your adjusters.

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Still stuck fast so have now given up. I want to ride it now instead of look at it with it's forks off.

The feel has been improved massively by changing the fork oil to 10W with 145mm air gap. Also tyre pressures 34/39 and dropped the yokes by 10mm. Snetterton again on Monday week wahay  :thumbup

Falco9

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
I recently bought some fork leg internals & lowers from fleabay, basically everything bar the stantions. Sadly apart from the fork leg lowers the rest is crap and unusable but it did give me the opportunity of trying to un-seize the damper adjuster screws.

Firstly I immersed them both completely in plus gas for 48hrs with no joy. Lots of tapping, some gentle but firm efforts with a perfectly fitting "big" screwdriver trying to move the adjusters clockwise & anticlockwise,  then the impact driver and finally heat (firstly a heat gun then a flame) Finally the one that looked like it would be seized for ever came free but I've lost the indent feeling as you screw it in and out.

The second I reckon will be seized forever as the brass screw is now opening up too badly with still no sign of movement whatsoever. I've probably used every trick I know (and I'm an engineer) but I reckon the adjuster will break before it loosens off. That's said I'm gonna keep going at it as its a battle now to see who wins.......lol 

So the point I'm making is after trying all these techniques with the adjusters out of the fork legs and on the bench I seriously doubt there is any benefit at all in trying to un-seize the adjusters whilst they are in situ, so IMHO save your money on squirting them with plus gas and WD40 and tackle them off the bike. You might get lucky

F9
I've spent 40yrs riding motorcycles...............the rest I've wasted...

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reassurance. I now know I have not missed an opportunity to actually free them up.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Anyone tried a rattle gun? (just kidding)

I haven't done anything with my adjusters except adjust them and after 13 winters and 140k miles, they're not seized. Just lucky I suppose. I wish I could offer some help, but the only thing I can think of is strip the fork down, seal the hole at the bottom of fork and pour diesel down the leg and leave for a week. You can see the adjuster at the bottom of the fork leg if you shine a light down there, so maybe you could attack it from the other side.

Either that or stick it in the oven for an hour and then bung it in the deep freeze.

I might be getting a bit Ichiban Moto there....

(in case you're not aware that the Americans have recently discovered a rich vein of irony)

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Who knew the Americans had a hidden Brit sense of humor  (I'll even spell it their way). The screwdriver is almost as good as the one Yam give you in the tool kit.
__
There's no replacement for displacement

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Yup, those screwdrivers are a pointless waste of metal aren't they? Gotta love that bad ass Ichiban Moto guy though. He has me in hysterics sometimes.

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Was that video for real. Foccing hilarious.

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
I love that bit with the home made polishing mop. One quick spin and it's the shiniest carb you ever did see LOL! Oh yeah and the 'nail' for the float! And reboring the jets with solder and a 1.5mm hand drill. Genius! The last time I saw a you tube bike video that bad was some numpty who had a ZX10 and cut 'air intakes' into the frame spars, made his own exhaust pipe and a whole load of other dumb-assery. He was actually for real though. I think he was called Shervin or something. Now that guy was scary. Ichiban Moto is pure class a comedy.
« Last Edit: 27 July 2015, 11:12:26 pm by hotmetal »
__

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
To my shame, it took me a couple before I realised it's a total piss take. It was the parts super finisher made from cat litter and a colander that finally got me.

Bad Ass!

Ichiban Moto

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Bad Ass Custom
    • View Profile
The screwdriver is almost as good as the one Yam give you in the tool kit.

I'm considering selling sets of my custom American made screwdrivers...  if anyone is interested in precision crafted tools

Jez

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
This guy is so straight laced it is hilarious. Especially cutting 'Titanium' bar with nail scissors. :rollin :rollin :rollin

Ichiban Moto

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Bad Ass Custom
    • View Profile
Those are my Swiss diamond blade shears that grandpa brought back from the war.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Hey! The man himself. The warmest of welcomes to the forum, Ichiban. I hope you pick up some tips from us Limeys. Apprentices in the this country have for years been told to go to the stores for 'long stand' or bucket of steam so we're well versed in the art of dead pan humour.

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile

I'm considering selling sets of my custom American made screwdrivers...  if anyone is interested in precision crafted tools

Fuh-geddaboutit dude! I've got your video instructions now, I got me some tool putty from Sugru, and a length of raw nobrainium rod. I've saved up a bunch of champagne corks and I have some sandpaper soaking in a bucket of water to make it like wet and dry. Tomorrow I will fashion myself a full set of Pozidrive screwdrivers, and may have a go at some Torx bits if I have time. Reckon I'll be done by tea time - based on your excellent video. Stick around Mr Ichiban, we want more!
__