Date: 11-05-24  Time: 11:19 am

Author Topic: miracle trackday bike!  (Read 3029 times)

byker_groves

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
miracle trackday bike!
« on: 15 May 2012, 05:22:35 pm »
Hi everyone, i just took Fraser (the fazer  :lol ) on our first trackday at rockingham on saturday and just wanted to let everyone know how we got on. Pretty well is the short version, had an amazing time, no wobbles or mishaps and only a couple of scares when i managed to scrape my toes halfway round a corner, which brings me to my question. I'm well aware that the fazer isn't a sportsbike but does anybody know if it's possible to move the footpegs higher so that it will lean just that little bit more? i've seen the videos and it looks like i'm going round them in an armchair. i know that the gear selector/rear brake would then need adjusting too but they're splined so that's not as big an issue, anyway any suggestions, solutions or even rumors would be appreciated.

also (and the reason for the topic title) in 8 sessions, each lasting 20 minutes, of hard riding using only 2nd and 3rd gears i used about 2/3 of a tank of fuel. that is rediculous fuel economy for that sort of riding and put my friends (GSX-R, Ninja, Triumph TT and R6) to shame.......... but they had higher lean angles  :( .

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
Re: miracle trackday bike!
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2012, 05:44:30 pm »
 Where were your feet positioned on the pegs when your toes touched down?  If you just left them in the same position as per your normal day to day road riding then they (your toes) will limit your lean angle greatly. If you had your feet slid back so your balls (of your feet before anyone starts) were on the pegs then you were doing well to scrape your toes. Might explain why your mates were going round using higher lean angles?

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2012, 06:35:19 pm »
wrong feet position apart, in my opinion the Fazer has too little clearance, it scrapes everything even with a jack up kit, a lot of preload and removed centrestand: pegs even with the heroblobs removed, exhaust even if you put a higher one, crash protectors if you left them... I had been told that a member said he even scraped the bike itself.

The more you get up the bike, the less lean you need -and the more clearance you have-  so a jack up kit is mandatory.

I have also increased 5mm the length of my adjustable rear shock, and put taller wheels (120/70 in a TRX850 front rim and a 170/60 rear). I haven't tested these mods on track but now the rear wheel almost touches the floor when the bike is on the centrestand and I have been able to put again the heroblobs, softened the suspension and there is still chicken strips in both wheels too  :) .

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2012, 12:14:48 pm »
The reason that you scraped your feet is because you are cranked over as far as you can be befor you run out of tyres---thats what the blobs are for on the ends of your pegs, they tell you thats far enough over please.
« Last Edit: 03 September 2013, 11:00:50 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2012, 04:24:36 am »
I have only ever touched my feet down once and that was taking an uphill, off camber, sharp left turn. Unless I'm changing gear or covering the rear brake/braking I move my feet back and keep the balls of my feet on the pegs which might be why. I keep up with other riders through corners so its not that I'm really slow there (I hope not anyway!) and I don't have chicken strips which must mean I lean it over a far amount regularly.

Gilles make rearsets but they are £400 odd and if they don't scrape, I reckon something else will on the Fazer.
Have a vague recollection of german made adapters for the oem parts to move the pegs back....

YamFazMan

• FOC-U's Victor Meldrew
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2012, 10:18:47 pm »
Hi Byker_Grove

I made some brackets that move the std footrests up 20mm and back 10mm
also a gearlink extender and exhaust to footrest bracket.
I'll put a post up later with the details

ATB YFM   
« Last Edit: 22 May 2012, 08:29:41 am by YamFazMan »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2012, 11:35:38 pm »
im having the same problem. im scrapping my left toe on the ground when leaning through corners. im pretty tall but i think it down to bad foot positioning as was said. think i'll adjust try adjusting the gear changer and change my foot positioning and see if that makes a difference. yamfazman could you stick up the dimensions of the brackets you made?

YamFazMan

• FOC-U's Victor Meldrew
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2012, 11:48:00 am »
Hi
Ok as requested footrest risers details.
I have included the gear link extension info but you can just move the lever around the splines
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70564722/IMG_3793.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70564722/img022.jpg
Use the Fazer footrest bolts to hold the Brk's.
I used 8mm x 20mm cap head bolts to hold the footrests with a std washer between the Brk and the footest to give enough clearance for the head of Fazer bolts holding the Brk to the bike.
ATB YFM 

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2012, 11:58:35 am »
Cheers Yamfazman. Nice drawing. Are you a mechanical engineer?

YamFazMan

• FOC-U's Victor Meldrew
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2012, 12:12:28 pm »
Hi
Yes all my life for my sins
I forgot to say you can get the 30mm x 5mm x 1m steel strip from B&Q
you can get a few sets out of that
ATB YFM

YamFazMan

• FOC-U's Victor Meldrew
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2012, 12:50:16 pm »
Hi
P.P.P.S.
Oh for the edit button
Be carefull on the brake side footrest dont tip the rear brake master cyclinder over or you will be rebleeding the system.
Been there done that  :rolleyes
ATB YFM

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2012, 01:03:27 pm »
haha cheers. 
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 03:58:18 pm by His Dudeness »