Date: 28-04-24  Time: 14:00 pm

Author Topic: Sat Nav Suggestions  (Read 4950 times)

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Sat Nav Suggestions
« on: 04 March 2014, 10:40:15 pm »
Hi all,

Been looking at upgrading my old Garmin Quest sat nav but been a bit disappointed with the Garmin and TomTom's I have looked at. As I have now sorted out the fittings on the new FZ6 so I can use any sat nav, decided car ones where much cheaper than motorcycle so started my research.

My Garmin Quest is 7 years old so decided to look at upgrading to one of the new models, lot of sales on at the moment with the new 2014 range out. As I don't really want to start fitting lighter sockets and such to the bike I was looking for something with a decent battery life that I could charge at home and just stick it on the bike when needed. I was very disappointed to find nearly all the Garmin are upto 2 hours and only one of the TomTom's was 3 hours, although if you look at places like Argos and few other on-line retailers they are claiming 5 hours but I am basing the battery life as stated on the official sites.

Be very nice to have a shiny new 5" screen but not much cop with the battery life they are claiming, my Garmin Quest has a 20 hour battery life and even if I don't use it for months it still holds the charge fine plus it is small enough to fit in my pocket and use on foot but the downside is map updates.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with a decent sat nav that doesn't cost the earth and has a decent battery life, be happy with 6 hours and just looking for something that I can take out the box and use without having to mess about sticking charging sockets on the bike although that probably sounds lazy but then I am used to my long battery life and hassle free Quest.  :lol

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Re: Sat Nav Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2014, 10:44:39 pm »
With a 12v socket fitted, I buy cheapo Chinese satnavs off ebay, and stuff em in the clear pocket of my tank bag. Then replace it when it blows up. My last one survived over a year.
The Deef's apprentice

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2014, 10:56:18 pm »
Thinking with what I been looking at that I will end up having to fit a 12v socket unless I plan to drive very short distances. Never thought about cheap stuff off eBay, was looking at Garmin and TomTom as the ones I was interested in had free lifetime map updates.

YamFazMan

• FOC-U's Victor Meldrew
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2014, 11:27:44 pm »
Hi

I use a Tomtom Via 120 Live with the sucker pad stuck to the Rev Counter Glass.
 just in case the Via decides to jump ship, I have a short lanyard attached to the Fazer and the back of the Via
 For bad weather a good fitting plastic bag
 12v socket under the seat

ATB YFM

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2014, 06:57:37 am »
i have a double lighter socket on the side on the front fairing, have borrowed a tom tom for the italy trip, i too will be buying a car one with euro maps , just to find the right one,
dont know if i need ear peice bluetooth, just use my eyes.

With it below the fairing it does not get wet (much) but will have to get a dry housing for it.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2014, 08:05:27 am »
If you have an iPhone a full waterproof case, bike fitting kit and battery charger can be had for less than £50, download navfree (for free)
Some say...

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2014, 04:00:37 pm »
I have a garmin SPIII and it served me well for years but is painfully slow so retired it

I have messed about using WP cases and smart phones with earphones etc, its works ok but always seems to reset/lose signal/freeze just at the worse possible moment.

So I finally I have bought a Garmin Zumo 350LM and have ordered a Sena bluetooth headset to pair up with it pricey but hopefully will be reliable
Its just a ride

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 March 2014, 04:03:54 pm »
Zumo 660 with Chinese 'clone' Bluetooth here.

Any Zumo is good, which one depends on your budget.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 March 2014, 05:08:59 pm »
Whats Chinese clone Bluetooth?

A Garmin Quest that still works!!!!! I think I had garmin replace mine twice because the flip out aerial broke.
No idea how to manage with such a small screen nowdays. You didn't need it wired in though, and it beep'd out loud to let you know a turn was coming :)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 March 2014, 05:14:49 pm »
dont know if i need ear peice bluetooth, just use my eyes.

Once you've gone Bluetooth, there's no looking back!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

nsr500v4

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 March 2014, 05:21:58 pm »
I use a Tom Tom Rider with a Jabra bluetooth adaptor and homemade custom ear plugs, works a treat, you never need the volume loud as the plugs are custom, never got lost yet!

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 March 2014, 06:47:15 pm »

Be very nice to have a shiny new 5" screen but not much cop with the battery life they are claiming, my Garmin Quest has a 20 hour battery life and even if I don't use it for months it still holds the charge fine plus it is small enough to fit in my pocket and use on foot but the downside is map updates.

I bought a Garmin Nuvi sat nav with a 5" screen and the battery life is dreadfull, 1 1/2 hours top. The on/off button is too sensitive and gets pressed if in the tankbag and drains the battery. The software isn't so good as the old one.
The only reason why I bought it was because it had maps for Eastern Europe and my 4" Garmin Nuvi didn't and the cost of upgrading the maps was nearly the same as the 5" Garmin I got in the sales.

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 March 2014, 08:17:09 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, got no problem with whatever sat nav I get for waterproofing was just looking for options on battery life. I think as most people have mentioned I will end up fitting a 12v socket on to the bike it's not exactly a long job I was just being lazy and wanted my Quest 20 hour battery life but that's never going to happen.

I've used the iPhone before with the Navfree, drained the battery but worked fine although I used it with a single earpiece, got one that had little electronics inside so takes a stereo sound and channels both sides into a single earpiece but never thought about on-board charging for it.

Have actually been looking at some of the TomTom's in the sales, least there was one with a 6 hour battery life and like the Garmin's I've looked at free lifetime map updates but I am more inclined to add a socket to the bike now as I would be able to charge other things like my iPhone.

Glad the Garmin Nuvi 5" screen was mentioned they are what I have been looking at, many sites and shops advertise 5 hours battery life, Garmin says up to 2 hours so least now I know.

Going to have a look at the Garmin Zumo range and also some of the TomTom's, originally I went for the Quest due to the expense of a TomTom Rider. Judging by the comment about a Quest that still works I have been lucky.

Thanks again every one for the input it's given me a lot to think about and swaying now towards a 12v socket and not having to bother with battery times. 

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 March 2014, 08:25:34 pm »
I have a 12v socket on the infill panels and one under the seat. I ran a genuine garmin lead from handlebars to under seat and use that for the sat nav, leaving the front socket for charging phones or lights in my tent!!!

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 March 2014, 08:39:58 pm »
I've had a TomTom Rider 2 for over 7 years. Cost about £260 at the time. Used it all over Europe and the UK in all weathers. Wired to battery, totally reliable, totally waterproof, bluetooth to helmet, easy to read. Also transferable to the car. Wouldn't be without it.
Buy cheap, but twice, or perhaps three or four times .....

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 March 2014, 01:29:44 pm »
I use the OsmAnd app on my phone, it lets you upload GPX routes and run the navigation with just GPS. I got about 5-6 hours last week before it died, probably not so good if you're going away camping though.
thou shalt not kick

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 March 2014, 10:50:28 pm »
Thanks again for the replies, I was thinking infill's or under the seat now after your comment Dickturpin think I might actually do both the dealer I got the bike from when I was chatting to him he said they fit most under the seat but be handy to have a couple.

Also been looking at the battery life extenders, can get cheap one's but there are a couple around £20 that will keep a sat nav running for about 9 hours and once that is drained your on to 100% sat nav power but they come with all kinds of connectors so be able to charge the iPhone, iPad, MP3 and just about anything else. Seen 2 different types, one you charge from the mains and when its drained requires recharging from the mains and the other you use 4 AA batteries but both give good results if you buy the decent ones plus be something handy to have around the house for power cuts.

I've only ever stuck to Garmin, well the Quest is the only one I have had mtread and that like the Rider is fully waterproof but looking at some of the reviews for Garmin recently I have to admit I have been looking at TomTom's as well.

Thanks for the link Mattsplat seems to be a lot on there to choose from, I do have some Bluetooth earphones and mic for my iPhone although they were expensive little disappointed with them as they seem too sensitive for example I was using them last week and sneezed and it phoned someone up out my contact list so looking for something new.

I'm on an iPhone DryRob, looked for the app but only got 2 hits and that was to do with the Osmand's, you using an Android or Windows phone?

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 March 2014, 11:01:06 am »

Take your pick  :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories-/14780/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=bluetooth+intercom&_sop=15

Ah I see, the helmet Bluetooth!

As my autocom system is making a bit of noise I may try a BT solution as the Zumo has it. I don't need a mike, just the helmet speakers, any recommendations?
I presume you have to charge it up, what sort of battery life do they have?

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 March 2014, 11:19:50 am »

Take your pick  :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories-/14780/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=bluetooth+intercom&_sop=15

Ah I see, the helmet Bluetooth!

As my autocom system is making a bit of noise I may try a BT solution as the Zumo has it. I don't need a mike, just the helmet speakers, any recommendations?
I presume you have to charge it up, what sort of battery life do they have?

I use the intercom as just speakers for my Zumo.
Battery life is all day, cant say any more than that as I charge it each night.

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 March 2014, 12:30:12 pm »
Any particular BT unit? There's quiet a difference in prices :eek

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 March 2014, 12:21:31 am »
I'm on an iPhone DryRob, looked for the app but only got 2 hits and that was to do with the Osmand's, you using an Android or Windows phone?

I'm on Android, maybe they haven't brought it out on iphone. Oh well
thou shalt not kick

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile