Date: 01-05-24  Time: 10:31 am

Author Topic: [Help] Has anyone fitted either a Koso speedo or any other non-standard speedo?  (Read 5730 times)

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
Struggling to get/find information on this.

I'm looking to get rid of my standard cluster as my 99 FZS600 is a bit of a streetfighter (not much, just a bit) and the instrument cluster is massive.
I'd like to fit either a KOSO DB01 or some more traditional pot gauges (on the small side).

I'm facing a number of problems, some of which maybe you can help with:

1. I need info regarding the fitting/wiring of a Koso to a Fazer. Problems? Solutions?
2. Info about other speedo's you've fitted. Recommendations? Issues?
3. Have a used Koso speedo you want to sell for a nice price? Maybe some small pot gauges?

What i DO have is a wiring diagram to connect a Koso DB01 to a FZS600, so i *think* it'd just be a case of snipping wires before the connector and adding connections per-wire and mating them to the equivalent wire on the Koso.

Here's that diagram:

And here's an idea of what i could do with the instruments compared to how the OEM part is currently mounted.

I'd be more than happy to go for the 'Cafe' option above, but finding matching gauges for reasonable money is proving amazingly difficult. Most gauges with a backlight cost a damn fortune and i wouldn't know how to connect them to the bike.

Realistically; I only need a speedo and fuel warning light. But a speedo with matching rev counter and built-in idiot lights would be great. I don't know. I'm just testing the waters to see what i can and can't get away with as i think how i currently have the bike set up looks a bit clumsy and messy.
« Last Edit: 18 October 2014, 01:32:33 am by helloindustries »

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
I fitted a Koso clock to my old R1 a couple of years ago. I decided to make my own multi plug loom out an old set of clocks. Not as simple as it sounds!

The majority of the wiring was easy, just the fuel gauge had me stumped. (it wasn't compatible in the end)

The instructions are pretty clear, just download a wiring diagram for the Fazer. (get a colour one if you can!!)

Worth it in the end though.

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
I fitted a Koso clock to my old R1 a couple of years ago. I decided to make my own multi plug loom out an old set of clocks. Not as simple as it sounds!

The majority of the wiring was easy, just the fuel gauge had me stumped. (it wasn't compatible in the end)

The instructions are pretty clear, just download a wiring diagram for the Fazer. (get a colour one if you can!!)

Worth it in the end though.

Well, at least i know it's somewhat possible.
I have a manual for the bike and i know which wires do what for the instrument cluster connector (as above) and which wires do what on the Koso speedo.

I hear rumour that one would need to loop a particular wire back to the ECU when using a custom speedo to avoid some kind of running issue?
I think that's probably the larger concern, though i could see if it'd be a problem by maybe going for a test ride without the instruments connected... Just as long as i avoid speed-camera areas just in case my estimation of speed isn't up to the task...

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Heard rumours about this wire back to the ecu, but there's been a few on here to contradict that. I think it's a case of 'suck it and see'.

As for riding with no Speedo, can you not mount your smartphone on there with a Speedo app? Or a satnav?

Gotta be better than getting nicked for not having a Speedo fitted ;D

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
Heard rumours about this wire back to the ecu, but there's been a few on here to contradict that. I think it's a case of 'suck it and see'.

As for riding with no Speedo, can you not mount your smartphone on there with a Speedo app? Or a satnav?

Gotta be better than getting nicked for not having a Speedo fitted ;D

Actually; You don't have to have one. But if you DO have one, it has to work, and it has to show or be able to show both MPH and KPH.
But yes; Valid point about phone app/sat-nav.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Erm, it's part of the road traffic act where you have to have a device of some sort which measures the road speed. This goes way back from 1984!.

Saying that, it's not a testable item on the MOT, and it doesn't need one for it, but it has to posess one for the construction and use side of life. Oh the sweet irony of using the queens highways :-[

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Saying that, it's not a testable item on the MOT, and it doesn't need one for it,

Yeh I was going to pick you up on that, also you do not have to have indicators but if they are fitted they need to work and comply
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Asda sell mountain bike computers for a fiver.  I used one on my crf450 enduro, they work well enough, waterproof, power up automatically.  If your in need it's a nice simple way to get one on a bike.  I took the bike out without it for the first ride.  I thought it was all good until I had to negotiate a speed camera...
Intentionally left blank

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
Asda sell mountain bike computers for a fiver.  I used one on my crf450 enduro, they work well enough, waterproof, power up automatically.  If your in need it's a nice simple way to get one on a bike.  I took the bike out without it for the first ride.  I thought it was all good until I had to negotiate a speed camera...

I have something similar. I might have considered using it if there was a way to make the backlight stay on when activated, rather than turning off after 6 seconds.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Back light? That's a bit lah dee dah isn't it.  What's wrong with timing your glance when a streetlight flashes it's luminating glow across it :)
Intentionally left blank

helloindustries

• Weekend Warrior
  • #choochoomotherfucker
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800fi 2000
    • View Profile
Back light? That's a bit lah dee dah isn't it.  What's wrong with timing your glance when a streetlight flashes it's luminating glow across it :)

I guess i'm just too upper-class for my own good.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Erm, it's part of the road traffic act where you have to have a device of some sort which measures the road speed. This goes way back from 1984!.

Saying that, it's not a testable item on the MOT, and it doesn't need one for it, but it has to posess one for the construction and use side of life. Oh the sweet irony of using the queens highways :-[

:stop  "Do you know what speed you were doing sir?"

"Haven't got a clue occifer, surprise me?"  :rollin
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
It's an interesting one, the "is a speedo needed" - a friend of mine builds customs - he didn't want a speedo cluttering the lines, and thought the law was unclear. He now has a letter from vosa (I think it was before the merger with the dsa) stating clearly that a speedo is not needed!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
There's loads of contradictions to say whether it's 'legal' or not, clear as mud tbh ;D

Say you got stopped for speeding by plod, im sure there would be a bit of head scratching, but there's a chance they could seize your bike under con & use regs, and you really wouldn't have a leg to stand on. It'd be down to stated cases in court whether there's other offences.

£5 bike Speedo from aldi would sort that out, at least it's something.