Date: 28-04-24  Time: 10:17 am

Author Topic: Hand guards  (Read 8327 times)

Jc72

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Hand guards
« on: 24 January 2013, 10:28:57 pm »
Has anyone fitted hand guards the motocross type or those  ones that just keep the wind off? Don't want to go and buy some and find it ain't gonna work cos of the fairing
Some songs are very very long, but this one isn't !

trudd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Sprint 1050ST
    • View Profile
Re: Hand guards
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2013, 11:13:16 pm »
I've got some for a Suzuki DL650 and couldn't get them to fit.

I then tried some oxford muffs and didn't like the way they fitted over the switch gear so I now have tucano urbano muffs and they're great.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2013, 11:39:06 pm »
There's some fancy ones on Ebay that i was looking at, but they need to be fitted inside the end of the bars which put me off a bit, i don't want vibration.
Plus i wasn't convinced that they wouldn't hit the fairing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Hand-guards-Integrated-Indicators-Suitable-For-Yamaha-FZS-600-S-Fazer-/190782456253?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c6b8541bd
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2013, 12:10:49 am »
I think the above is a copy of the acerbis handguards I had on a previous bike. They weren't bad at all but it is more than likely that they'll hit the fairing, and if its MK1 Fzs600 it'll probably hit quite a bit before you reach full lock.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2013, 12:18:25 am »
My right side cables just kiss the fairing now, so i never thought they would work.
Shame though, it'd be nice to take the wind off my hands.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2013, 10:01:34 am »
When I had a mk1 600 I moved the fairing forwards an inch 'n' a half and slightly upwards by moving the point where the fairing's support frame attached to the headstock. Allowed all sorts of aftermarket handlebars & handguards to be easily fitted & didn't look too odd. Sadly I don't seem to have any pictures of it but the metal cost £3 from B&Q + then half a day's drilling & filing.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2013, 11:06:06 am »
Oh dear Kebab, I think you may have started something here. Any more details or a drawing you can muster up of your design please :D
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Jc72

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2013, 11:20:23 am »
Are there any sort of fairing extenders out there that might do the job?
Some songs are very very long, but this one isn't !

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 January 2013, 02:05:13 pm »
No Fazer pics, but I found some pics of the same plates fitted to my old TRX850 on which I moved the fairing forward to allow me to fit upright Renthal 789 streetfighter bars. I used the same metal plates to move my Fazer's fairing forwards. You can just about spot the plates in the 1st picture (the four mounting hole bolts under the ignition).

The fairing frame mounts on two points in front of the headstock (and a mounting point on either side of the half fairing)
Basically I bought 2 small, square metal plates and drilled holes to match the spacing of the original. Make sure the metal plates aren't too flimsy / thin.  I mounted them either side of the original fairing mounting holes with longer stainless bolts. Unfortunately the plates were sprayed black so hard to make out, but hopefully you can see the nearside plate in the 1st pic.
I think they were 10mm diameter holes, about 30mm from centre to centre, but I could be wrong (it was 4 years ago!). I then drilled another pair of matching holes about 30 mm away from the originals and also about 10mm higher. I sued four stainless hex head bolts longer than the standard Yam bolts, in the pic, the two on the right were the original fairing frame mounting point holes, while the two on the left were the newly created mounting plate holes 30mm forwards for the fairing frame to attach. The additional side-fairing mounts were two small strips of metal with the holes 30mm apart, again you can see on the TRX the side mount bolt and another (original mounting point just under it). Again, sprayed black they werent too obvious, and only the bike's owner is aware of the mod....

As you can see my TRX's standard clip-ons were replaced by Renthal 789's which don't even fit on the FZS600 without some fairing fouling. I drilled the new fairing frame holes 10mm higher to move the fairing up & out of the way a little to allow even more handlebar to fairing clearance. I think I did have to readjust the headlight aim for Mot, tho, but no biggie. If you keep the drill holes the same height then no headlight adjustment needed.

If there's enough demand, I might compose a separate 'Kebab19 fairing frame mod' thread...  :lol

Yes, she did wheelie like a loon and yes, I'm sorry I got rid of her  :(

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 January 2013, 08:05:53 pm »
No Fazer pics, but I found some pics of the same plates fitted to my old TRX850 on which I moved the fairing forward to allow me to fit upright Renthal 789 streetfighter bars. I used the same metal plates to move my Fazer's fairing forwards. You can just about spot the plates in the 1st picture (the four mounting hole bolts under the ignition).

The fairing frame mounts on two points in front of the headstock (and a mounting point on either side of the half fairing)
Basically I bought 2 small, square metal plates and drilled holes to match the spacing of the original. Make sure the metal plates aren't too flimsy / thin.  I mounted them either side of the original fairing mounting holes with longer stainless bolts. Unfortunately the plates were sprayed black so hard to make out, but hopefully you can see the nearside plate in the 1st pic.
I think they were 10mm diameter holes, about 30mm from centre to centre, but I could be wrong (it was 4 years ago!). I then drilled another pair of matching holes about 30 mm away from the originals and also about 10mm higher. I sued four stainless hex head bolts longer than the standard Yam bolts, in the pic, the two on the right were the original fairing frame mounting point holes, while the two on the left were the newly created mounting plate holes 30mm forwards for the fairing frame to attach. The additional side-fairing mounts were two small strips of metal with the holes 30mm apart, again you can see on the TRX the side mount bolt and another (original mounting point just under it). Again, sprayed black they werent too obvious, and only the bike's owner is aware of the mod....

As you can see my TRX's standard clip-ons were replaced by Renthal 789's which don't even fit on the FZS600 without some fairing fouling. I drilled the new fairing frame holes 10mm higher to move the fairing up & out of the way a little to allow even more handlebar to fairing clearance. I think I did have to readjust the headlight aim for Mot, tho, but no biggie. If you keep the drill holes the same height then no headlight adjustment needed.

If there's enough demand, I might compose a separate 'Kebab19 fairing frame mod' thread...  :lol

Yes, she did wheelie like a loon and yes, I'm sorry I got rid of her  :(

lovely bike kebab! a guy i know got one had one of them. it was only the second bike he ever owned. he managed to smack into the side of a bus on it and wrecked it after about a month of riding it. what a waste. was resprayed in red and black when he got it. looked class

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 January 2013, 08:18:02 pm »
Used to love them TRX's

But I could never see me buying a TDM even though it's nearly the same bike.

Anyone else have their opinion?

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 January 2013, 08:48:47 pm »
Used to love them TRX's

TRX -I've always fancied riding one but never owning one, something about an inline twin brings up rotten memorys of my now long ago deceased cb500.
TDM -Yuk!
As for hand protection from the cold, tucano urbano muffs work fine and don't foul the fairing.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 January 2013, 08:51:56 pm »
I used to get a freebie TRX from the bike shop when my old sports bike was in for a service (or repair) and know what? I hated giving it back!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 January 2013, 11:57:20 am »
Used to love them TRX's

TRX -I've always fancied riding one but never owning one, something about an inline twin brings up rotten memorys of my now long ago deceased cb500.
TDM -Yuk!
As for hand protection from the cold, tucano urbano muffs work fine and don't foul the fairing.

Those type of muffs just don't do it for me......  :lol

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #14 on: 26 January 2013, 01:37:01 pm »
Mate they are nothing like a normal in line twin. 270 degree firing order makes them feel/sound like a V twin. Way too tame/quiet with standard pipes fitted but a pair of cans soon sorts it. Very tall 1st gear makes tom foolery a bit of a chore but an excellent real world bike. Power delivery exactly where it is needed. Rear ride height needs raising to make steering feel less vague & front can also be dropped slightly for same result. Did both on mine which transformed it. I loved my TRX, went all around Wales on it & rode it to the Nurburgring & back. That's me & my TRX in my avatar if your eyes are real good. Just lacked a bit of top speed for me. They only have 5 gears too.  :\
« Last Edit: 26 January 2013, 01:46:24 pm by GrahamB »