Date: 27-04-24  Time: 21:01 pm

Author Topic: Rip Off Britain - Admiral insurance.  (Read 7335 times)

Jc72

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Rip Off Britain - Admiral insurance.
« Reply #25 on: 19 January 2013, 09:55:20 am »
You can get 2 seaters that are def not sport cars, a smart car for one, and the older cars make a difference because if you bump a £1000 car it will probably get written off, where as if you have a nice new fiesta or similar, bump that it might cost £5000 to fix but not enough to wright it off, therefor costing more to the insurance company, also as mentioned in my earlier post a 2 seater can only have 1 passenger so only one injury claim also cheaper. As for transferring scooter no claims it probably depends on the company.

My mates daughter had one of those trackers fitted to her car and couldn't use it after 11 pm to 5 am or thereabouts, after the first year the price went up, because she had been braking excessively hard at junctions, excessive speed around bends and roundabouts, and exceeding the speed limit on numerous occasions.
Some songs are very very long, but this one isn't !

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 January 2013, 10:42:14 am »
I can't fathom why you wouldn't pay extra care and attention if you have a tracker on board, that is surely just insane!? Of course we should always pay due care and attention, but I'm sure everyone has had their odd moment of giggling like a small kid as you give it that extra bit of throttle :P

Jc72

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 January 2013, 12:20:37 pm »
Just stupid kids I guess, showing off

I still have moments of mega stupidity that would put any teenager to shame, usually involving a jeep or 2 wheels :lol

Some songs are very very long, but this one isn't !

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 January 2013, 12:26:53 am »
You can get 2 seaters that are def not sport cars, a smart car for one, and the older cars make a difference because if you bump a £1000 car it will probably get written off, where as if you have a nice new fiesta or similar, bump that it might cost £5000 to fix but not enough to wright it off, therefor costing more to the insurance company, also as mentioned in my earlier post a 2 seater can only have 1 passenger so only one injury claim also cheaper. As for transferring scooter no claims it probably depends on the company.

It's not damage to your car that's the problem, it's personal injury.  You'd have to do a lot of damage for it to cost £5k to put right (even at insurance repair prices) but a 2mph bump at the lights could quite amount to £5k+ costs per person for "whiplash".

I think the best thing to do as a new driver is get something cheap as possible and insure it TPFT/TPO.  Wait a year or two if possible.

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 January 2013, 12:13:14 pm »
My lad is insured through Bell Ins who are part of Admiral, 19 years old no NCD, £1920 for a 03 1ltr Toyota Yaris, with a black box installed.
The price came down by around £600 when we added myself and the Mrs and came down again when we agreed to add the wife's car in March.
This was the best price we could get so we bit the bullet, the Black Box is there to see how he drive's, you can go to a web page tells you how he's doing and if he does well, sticks to the speed limit,  you get money back  up to a max of £400 after 6 month, he's doing well so far.
The down side to the box is that while he's trying to keep to the speed limit people are driving right up his back bumper, not a nice experience when your in your first few month of driving or at any time come to that.
I found the biggest influence on price is your post code, if we'd put my mum's code we'd have been another £250 better off.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 20 January 2013, 12:41:32 pm »
did the insurance compare with just me and the missus insured : £189

Added the daughter...........£1300

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Steve1rc

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01 February 2013, 05:29:36 pm »
Admiral are pretty expensive, when i was 18 with them, I was paying nigh on 2k/year for my little peugeot 206. But now I'm 21, I've stayed with them and I now have a 2l turbo diesel and am insured on it for £380, that's less than me on my Fazer!

They are expensive, but with me I found them to be very competitive with a few years no claims behind you. It may be worth looking at 'accelerated no claims' I had 4 years no claims after 3 years of driving; I got a years no claims every 8 months. It's slightly more expensive, but much cheaper in the long run I found. It just takes some explaining as to how I had 4 years no claims at the age of 20!