Date: 02-05-24  Time: 05:06 am

Author Topic: Misfiring when cold :(  (Read 629 times)

Fazer53

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Misfiring when cold :(
« on: 16 February 2014, 08:08:42 pm »
Hi guys,

My fazer has recently started misfiring when cold, as soon as she warms up she is fine. Has anyone else come across this problem and or have any suggestions as to what it could be. My immediate reaction is to check/replace plugs and leads. My carbs have recently (sept 2013) been overhauled and new carb rubbers fitted, so im hoping they wont be the issue.... I have been riding in the terrible wet weather recently, and wondered if i had some water ingress, but then im guessing it wouldnt stop once warm.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Paul

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Misfiring when cold :(
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2014, 07:28:22 am »
Seeing as you've been riding in very wet weather, if it were me, I'd drain the carb float bowls first, in case you've got any water in them, and drain a litre out of the tank just in case there's any water in that. 

And if that didn't work:

I'd change the plugs first, and if the problem didn't go away I change the plug caps next. 
I used replica CX500 plug caps from M&P, they were the cheapest, but that was around seven years ago. 
I don't know if you can still get them.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Misfiring when cold :(
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2014, 01:36:21 pm »
NGK SD05F are replacement caps on EBay.
You can't change the leads as they're part of the coils but you can trim 5mm off the ends to freshen them up a bit.
Personally I'd go for Iridium plugs as well, they're not much dearer if you search EBay but will last a lot longer.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.