Date: 01-05-24  Time: 14:22 pm

Author Topic: Bike cover  (Read 7451 times)

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Bike cover
« on: 27 December 2013, 01:58:54 pm »
After a new bike cover. Can anyone reccomend one thats a good fit for an fzs1000 please :-)
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
Re: Bike cover
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2013, 02:00:42 pm »
Dont do what I did and buy the cheapest chinky one you can find on ebay, I may as well just chucked a tarp over the bike  :rolleyes

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2013, 03:45:20 pm »
I got a cheap oxford one when I had my tdm and it lived outside.
I use it at work now for the bandit as I'm too tight to buy a proper one, and it absolutely drowns it, but it keeps the weather off the bike.

Moral to the story, get the right size!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2013, 03:46:17 pm »
+1 for oxford, they are by no means cheap but bloody good!
Some say...

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2013, 05:37:45 pm »
After a new bike cover. Can anyone reccomend one thats a good fit for an fzs1000 please :-)

What happened to your old one?
The Deef's apprentice

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2013, 05:53:58 pm »
Perished. Big foccin holes in it now.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 27 December 2013, 09:45:07 pm »
Whatever you get, write your post code on both sides (and the inside!) in big letters in indellible marker to stop any other foccer from nicking it :thumbup

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #7 on: 27 December 2013, 10:03:04 pm »
Not tried any of the oxford ones. Had an R&G one, alright to begin with, but lining disintegrated after about a year. Just using a super cheapo Lidl one now...  Does the job, but it's frickin' huge.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 December 2013, 10:18:11 pm »
Why can't they just sew a piece of material/ or provide a wrap that guards against the heat ? They always perish round the can.... Who .... When its pissing down wants to waiT a foccin hour B 4 they can put the bloody COVER ON IT!!!! Not a lotta people know that :-)

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 December 2013, 10:55:06 pm »
I have a silver R&G one, thick material whatever it is and has holes for your chain to go through. Go for a large size though as the M is a tight fit over my 600

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 December 2013, 11:54:39 pm »
Why can't they just sew a piece of material/ or provide a wrap that guards against the heat ? They always perish round the can..

Sympathy, window... Gone.... :rollin :rollin

If you want that sympathy, it's in the dictionary between shit and syphilis... :rollin

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 December 2013, 12:10:44 am »
Why can't they just sew a piece of material/ or provide a wrap that guards against the heat ? They always perish round the can.... Who .... When its pissing down wants to waiT a foccin hour B 4 they can put the bloody COVER ON IT!!!! Not a lotta people know that :-)

Some of the Oxford ones have a heat RESISTANT part around where the can/s are. And then they come back to us as faulty, melted. Pull it out and find that the dozy f****r has put it on the bike the wrong way round. And then the stealer has been dumb enough to say, yeah mate, have a refund, it's faulty, we'll send it back to Oxfords for a credit. If you're going to put a cover on it with heat resistant panelling, at least make sure the panel is the bit that sits against the can - so make sure you get a good fit, secure it properly EVERY time you use it, and put it on the right way round in the first place.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 December 2013, 12:23:31 am »
:rollin

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 December 2013, 01:48:04 am »
Someone's had to deal with a few too many of those issues me thinks :P

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 December 2013, 06:36:58 am »
Oh no Nick.... Not another oxford plug....:-) u work @ Oxford, live in oxford, probably love oxtail soup and are more pluggy than Mr Plug @ no1 Plug road, Plugginfton, City of Plug. PLU GGY.   Lol. How about some discount then?

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 December 2013, 08:43:28 am »
Outdoor = oxford Indoor = dust off cover

Lampwick

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2013, 08:59:39 am »
If you've got the space,   http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Wharfedale-Diamond-91/
Pricey but good, used to have a BMW 1200 GS under mine, so the FZS 1000 fits wth room to spare.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 December 2013, 09:12:15 am »
Good link that... Lol..... Cover our bike's with a speaker.... Utter brilliance ...... Just nippin down to currys

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Bike cover
« Reply #18 on: 28 December 2013, 09:27:06 am »
Whaaaaaaa?????? WTF LOL
« Last Edit: 28 December 2013, 09:27:45 am by Exupnut »

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 December 2013, 09:50:26 am »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 December 2013, 10:46:34 am »
Oh no Nick.... Not another oxford plug....:-) u work @ Oxford, live in oxford, probably love oxtail soup and are more pluggy than Mr Plug @ no1 Plug road, Plugginfton, City of Plug. PLU GGY.   Lol. How about some discount then?

Some of the stuff that Oxfords do is ok. A lot of it I don't like myself. But a lot of people seem to form their opinions by "problems" they've had that are not the fault of the product, but of the sheer stupidity of the end user. I no more plug Oxford Products than I do Yamaha, Yuasa, Sidi, Alpine Stars, Arai etc etc. If I find a product has worked well for me, I'm happy to recommend it, no matter who makes/distributes it. Likewise, if I have a problem with a product, I'm happy to tell people, hopefully in a constructive manner, so that they can make an informed decision as to whether that product is suitable for them. This doesn't mean that what I say should be regarded as the be-all and end-all of the matter. Some people will have problems with stuff I've found to be ok and vice versa. If people apply a little common sense, check out multiple reviews etc, usually they'll end up with a product they like.
As to faulty stuff - with mass produced products, there are always going to be a percentage that fail/don't work. This does not mean that the product design or materials used are necessarily at fault. With much stuff from nearly all manufacturers being made in China/India etc these days, standards have generally undoubtedly fallen. This is something that companies like Oxfords are constantly and tirelessly battling to improve. They are not so dumb as to think that if they continue to peddle shit it will continue to sell. If, like me, you have been using motorcycle products/accessories for many years, I am sure that (if you are honest about it) you would agree that the choice and (generally speaking) the quality of product available has improved no end. But if you pay foc all for it, don't expect it to be the best you can buy.
In actual fact, if you reviewed all my posts, I am sure you would find that I actually haven't got myself too involved with plugging OP or their kit at all. Why would I? I'm just a foccin low paid warehouse worker at the end of the day, who quite often finds I can get Oxford distributed stuff cheaper in the sales than with the discount I am offered at source.
But, throughout my "career" in the motorcycle industry, I've tried to be honest to customers - if I don't think they'll be happy with a particular product, then I don't recommend it. Personally, I have used Oxford bike covers and found them to be quite good. But I am fully aware that others have used them and don't like them. In the end, you have to make your own decision. Just remember, nothing and no one is perfect. Include yourself in that (general), as do I.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 December 2013, 10:54:58 am »
Nick.... u well and truly bit there mate.... Is that a no to the discount?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 December 2013, 11:00:00 am »
Nick.... u well and truly bit there mate.... Is that a no to the discount?

Try Motorcycle Mega Store - you'll probably get it cheaper than I can.

And of course, there's always t'internet  ;)
« Last Edit: 28 December 2013, 11:01:00 am by nick crisp »

Lampwick

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 December 2013, 04:29:56 pm »
Don't know what happend to the link, but yes it was
 www.bikebarn.net.  had mine for 8 years galvanised frame, replaced the cover after 6 years, all fabrics will rot at some stage.
 My boy had an oxford stormex on his little sv 650, damn good cover, just about to replace as it's gone ripe with age, about4 1/2 yrs.
Still fancying those speakers tho

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 December 2013, 04:30:50 pm »
If it helps I think the rainex was no.1 in ride magazine top ten covers test

I've got this one and where I live its really windy and its been a great cover the 2 years I've had it.