Date: 01-05-24  Time: 19:05 pm

Author Topic: Waterproof Boots  (Read 6545 times)

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Waterproof Boots
« on: 14 October 2013, 07:22:30 pm »
My Sidi Vertigo's have now just about fallen apart and I'm considering going down the waterproof route as it seems to be constantly raining through recent Winters.

Problem is no waterproof boots I can find have much ankle protections like the Vertigo's do.

Any recommendations?

NotAnotherHill

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda Fireblade 900 RRV 1998
    • View Profile
Re: Waterproof Boots
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2013, 07:35:36 pm »
I wear Altberg http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/clubmanroadster/

Not stylish but totally waterproof and extremely well made. I needed to go up half a size and get a wider fitting.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2013, 07:48:04 pm »

Not stylish but totally waterproof and extremely well made. I needed to go up half a size and get a wider fitting.

interesting. when they say 5 widths. does that include the calf size? I find it a PITA getting boots to fit my big (fat?) calves. so much so, ive switched to ankle boots as its less of a nightmare.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2013, 07:57:58 pm »
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2013, 08:15:09 pm »
Just bought a replacement pair of Alpinestars Web Goretex. Previous ones still fine after 5 years daily use. Never leaked a drop. No obvious additional ankle protection but no harm done to me when my bike landed on my ankle balanced on the gear lever. Oh and my bike's a bit (ok then a lot) heavier than a Fazer Thou.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2013, 08:23:06 pm »
Daytona Roadstar GTX

Anything else is quite simply less.

Had mine 18 years, still waterproof, not adorned with pointless gimmicks & tacky gee-gaws, but plenty of protection & comfy as a pair of slippers.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2013, 08:26:12 pm »
 I got my Oxford bonedrys from George White Swindon for £ 30 in a clearance sell, had them 30 months now , they are waterproof  , warm , and very comfortable - I walked to the top of Ben Nevis in them . If your not worried about having the latest thing why not wait until some of the upcoming motorcycle shows , you might get a bargain .

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2013, 08:27:18 pm »
I got me  pair of these. http://www.tcxboots.com/eng/prodotti-dettaglio.php?prodotto=54

No water ingress as yet but only got them wet a few times. I wanted a slightly more sporty looking boot but so far impressed with them. Very comfy and warm as the weather closes in on us.

Might be worth going to the NEC bike show in November if you can wait that long.
« Last Edit: 14 October 2013, 08:32:59 pm by FuZzBoM »
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

Lampwick

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 October 2013, 08:31:25 pm »

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2013, 08:31:37 pm »
Stupid phone double post lol
« Last Edit: 14 October 2013, 08:32:43 pm by FuZzBoM »
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 October 2013, 08:38:32 pm »
Daytona Roadstar GTX

Had mine 18 years, still waterproof, not adorned with pointless gimmicks & tacky gee-gaws, but plenty of protection & comfy as a pair of slippers.

18 years? How often do you use them?

I use mine every day and I have to change boots about every 3 years and I wear them to the limit, I went through last winter in my current Sidi's wrapped in gaffer tape to keep the water out, the sole actually came off the left boot today

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 October 2013, 08:42:35 pm »
Might be worth going to the NEC bike show in November if you can wait that long.

I did think that was good idea so I just checked out when and the cost as I haven't been for a few years.

It would cost me £34 plus fuel from London to Birmingham - any bargain I got would have to be bloody cheap to make that worthwhile!

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 October 2013, 08:46:26 pm »
I think these look ok for u lol
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 October 2013, 09:01:52 pm »

I did think that was good idea so I just checked out when and the cost as I haven't been for a few years.

It would cost me £34 plus fuel from London to Birmingham - any bargain I got would have to be bloody cheap to make that worthwhile!

Yes true.. I always go anyway with the father-in-law and just hope to get a bargain. But I guess I do live a fair bit closer and I tend to blag a ticket from a good mate who works the show.
Last year I got a really nice Richa jacket I had seen for about £189 and picked it up for £65.... I Still think they had priced it up wrong! I think it could be worth while if a group of you go up in a car and share cost of fuel and intend to replace a few items of kit?

Always the London show in Feb but its a bit of a wait for that.
Lord,
Amen

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 October 2013, 09:14:27 pm »

Weeeeell, I don't know. D'you think they offer adequate ankle protection?

And some silver tassles would be nice, don't you think......?

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 October 2013, 09:20:00 pm »
Ok ... Yeah.... Silver tassels .... Why didn't I think of that. I do respect that creative side of u nick lol u r such an inspiration hehehe for an ex fart i like it :-)

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 October 2013, 09:52:46 pm »
I ride everyday and in all weathers and spent ages looking for the right boot this year. I settled on Gaerne G-Midland Aquatec boots. These arn't imported to the UK so you have to get them sent from one of the German or Italian dealers on-line, they are Gaerne's top boot -and they certainly make good boots.
 'Had them a month or so now, they are superb. Waterproof and comfy. No pesky zips to snag, thick leather upper, replacable sole and excellent calf adjustment for my rather fat calves. These will last at least 3 years of daily use for sure.
 They look great too, a sort of cross between touring boot and motocross boot.

http://www.motostorm.it/en/details.asp?articolo=663&ref=Google&currency=GBP&gclid=CNjH_OuZl7oCFRMdtAodVDAAEQ

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 October 2013, 10:25:58 pm »

Oooo where can I get a pair :)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 October 2013, 10:34:36 pm »
I think nick would lend u his .... If u ask in a crisp fashion lol

donkey93

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 October 2013, 10:42:37 pm »
if you want to stay with sidi i would have a look at the
sidi b2 gore tex has a bit of ankle support
sidi st gore tex loads of ankle support both really nice boots

alpinestars smx plus gore tex nice internal lace so it holds your ankle really well and loads of ankle support again

i would recommend trying a pair of daytona boots if havent before beautiful boots the best selling ones is the roadstar they are a wider fit than a pair of alpinestar or sidi boots so they may not fit you

they are all gore-tex so will be completely waterproof

NotAnotherHill

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda Fireblade 900 RRV 1998
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 October 2013, 10:45:11 pm »

interesting. when they say 5 widths. does that include the calf size? I find it a PITA getting boots to fit my big (fat?) calves. so much so, ive switched to ankle boots as its less of a nightmare.

I'm not sure about calf width. I went to the factory to try some on.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 October 2013, 11:35:54 pm »
You get what you pay for and as above- Daytona's

Have a look at bsb, wsb and motogp, anyone that isn't sponsored has Daytona's for a bloody good reason, because they are the best!
Some say...

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 October 2013, 11:40:30 pm »
Daytona Roadstar GTX

18 years? How often do you use them?

I use mine every day and I have to change boots about every 3 years and I wear them to the limit, I went through last winter in my current Sidi's wrapped in gaffer tape to keep the water out, the sole actually came off the left boot today

Don't use them during the summer, but every year since buying them pretty much constantly from whenever it turns cold n wet until it turns warmer & drier again.

For 15 of those 18 years I was also doing a daily 90 mile round trip commute, mostly on motorways/fast A-roads, not much putting my feet down or walking which probably explains why the soles have lasted so long.  Spent the last couple of years working from home so not used that much, but will be getting them out again once facilities sort me out on a parking space in my new job.

Like yourself, despite not buying cheapo boots (I was spending £100-120 a pair back in the mid-nineties) , before I got the Daytonas I never had a pair that lasted me more than 3 years.  The Daytonas cost me £180 at the NEC show in 1995 so I figure despite the 50% higher initial outlay I'd have spent something like £800 over the same period if I'd have stuck to the lesser makes like A-Stars or Sidis.

On top of that, I do still get a sense of pleasure from looking at & putting on a high quality product that was produced by skilled craftsmen in Germany rather than by a 10 year old in a 3rd world sweatshop.   8)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 October 2013, 09:07:10 pm »
Daytona Roadstar GTX

:agree

Had mine about the same time and you can send them back to get resoled and relined for about £120.

Later

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 October 2013, 12:33:14 pm »
18 years for a pair of boots is impressive no matter what!

I have managed to get an older style pair of Vertigo's for £169 from J&S so I'm just waiting for those to arrive.

My commute is all filtering so that adds to the sole wear.