Date: 30-04-24  Time: 22:42 pm

Author Topic: Recommend me a bike.  (Read 53954 times)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend me a bike.
« Reply #300 on: 29 December 2014, 12:37:04 pm »
Noggy, do you have some kind of neck/wrist injuries?
Again personal, but for proper distance riding I've always found a SPORTS tourer riding position to be much more comfortable (something like an ST1050, or my ZX-9R). When moving you you don't have any weight on your wrists as you hold onto the tank with your legs, and the wind lifts you up. Done a fair few 300 mile days on the 9 and was fine (it also gets over 200 before reserve on motorway runs  :lol ) - tried the same thing on both the FZS 6 and 1k I had and they weren't anywhere near as comfy. Despite the seats being softer, being upright like that puts too much weight on my lower back for comfort, and the lack of wind protection and upright riding position force you into the wind like a sail!

Joe ive snared you in my spiders web.......you cant escape now...........stuck, legs pulled off one by one.....preying for a quick death before my mind has been made up :lol

You're right about the fuel......ill usually stop after 100 miles....but on the thou i have to or want to just for a stretch.......i tend to be getting cramp in my quads.......i have had a back operation years ago so i can start to feel twinges if im in a bit of a stress position for too long......i manage it well.......only the scotland trip trashed it but that was 500 miles with only fuel stops so understandable.

It's just thati've been in the back of beyond before and been close to running out, poor planning but it is nice to have another 50 miles in reserve if needed sometimes.

Ive got quite a few more bikes to stick up which i find interesting as i havent been basing them on cc or hp....just what i kinda like and how ergonomic they happen to be.....ZX9 is one of them in a class of its own....purely because ive read about how it bucks the trend being a comfy sportsbike.
« Last Edit: 29 December 2014, 12:38:08 pm by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: 29 December 2014, 12:49:40 pm »
Many more recommendations Noggy, and everything will have been suggested by someone or other and you'll be back to square one  :lol

Leave it for better weather and then go and get loads of test rides, would be my recommendation.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: 29 December 2014, 12:56:01 pm »
Many more recommendations Noggy, and everything will have been suggested by someone or other and you'll be back to square one  :lol

Leave it for better weather and then go and get loads of test rides, would be my recommendation.

Ye but that is too simple Nick and i wont be able to complete my waffle :lol

I have so much to say.......so much to give..........i see Red has started a xmas cheer thread, im sure i can add some input to that :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: 29 December 2014, 01:18:48 pm »
Get on there and have a moan noggy.....before I do it for you   :lol
One, is never going to be enough.....

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: 29 December 2014, 01:37:31 pm »

Anyway.....in a class of its own.....couldnt really se me having a ZX9....but for comparing then here it is.

I dont doubt that it is comfy but i like to be sitting up high to see over cars and hedges and i wont get that with this bike.
« Last Edit: 29 December 2014, 01:38:08 pm by noggythenog »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: 29 December 2014, 01:53:56 pm »
Next is supermoto riding position territory....never hear of many folk saying that they dont like this position and it doesnt seem to stop a bike from being a superb handler either.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: 29 December 2014, 01:56:59 pm »

& looky looky........the mighty old school TDR 250 only recently u earthed on foc-u as a bit of a gem.

& how simillar its riding position is to other more modern SM's...........& low and behold the mighty MT09, some striking similarities here i thinks.

Also shows how simillar the Dorsoduro and the MT09 are with the same forward lean and simillar comfort.
« Last Edit: 29 December 2014, 01:59:14 pm by noggythenog »

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: 29 December 2014, 01:58:12 pm »
Well that is definitely not how I look on mine, and I'm about 5 11! I'll try and get a photo of mine side on with me on it so you can have a nose - only difference with mine from stock (riding position wise) is I've got rearsets and the back has been jacked up.

Lovely bikes they are - similarly quick to the FZ1, just a higher top speed, 19L tank and decently economical if not thrashed. I've gone so far as to put a full hard luggage set on mine it makes such a good tourer. Best thing to compare it to really would be an ST1050 (which I was looking at getting for a bit) - but its a fair bit heavier, the suspension and headlights aren't as good, and I missed the ZX-9R top end. Made more sense just to put hard luggage on my 9!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: 29 December 2014, 02:04:03 pm »
& here's a couple odd balls that i dont quite know where they fit in but ergonomically look really good.

I think it would be funny to have an FJR with some ridiculously bling exhausts on it. :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: 29 December 2014, 02:18:21 pm »
Those position diagrams are useless. Why would you, on every bike, have your elbows bent at 90 deg.?

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: 29 December 2014, 02:45:27 pm »
Those position diagrams are useless. Why would you, on every bike, have your elbows bent at 90 deg.?

Must admit I was thinking that Nick!

Come on Noggy, get some consistency, you wanted a lighter bike, not an FJR!  :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: 29 December 2014, 04:02:49 pm »
Is this a little more realistic
« Last Edit: 29 December 2014, 04:07:25 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: 29 December 2014, 04:17:17 pm »
Is this a little more realistic

Ahhhhhhhhhhh :rollin :rollin :rollin

Yep :o

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: 29 December 2014, 04:46:33 pm »
But anyway, this is what got me to the Versys 650, tall riding position and supermoto type ergonomics, long travel suspension, good handling, ok not the most powerful but still fun.

This is a good video.....ok the guy aint going supersonic but the bike is hardly slow now is it.

http://youtu.be/MZhJ-d0NdDM

Good scenery too plus i like thise tunnels. 8) 

& an adjustment to seat and arm position.

« Last Edit: 29 December 2014, 04:51:12 pm by noggythenog »

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: 29 December 2014, 05:17:34 pm »
I actually don't think that's a bad choice Noggy, I was tempted by a Versys a little while ago as a winter hack. although, I think you could have fun on anything along those roads and not even necessarily need an engine. :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: 29 December 2014, 05:25:55 pm »
I actually don't think that's a bad choice Noggy, I was tempted by a Versys a little while ago as a winter hack. although, I think you could have fun on anything along those roads and not even necessarily need an engine. :)

Cheers Dazza, i cant think of any other bike that fits the genre while being affordable and modern......i think an MT 07 engine in a simillar package from Yamaha would be a winner as the MT engine packs a little more punch than the Versys......yamaha have of course pretty much done it now with the MT Tracer but that is way outta my budget............but a brand new pre registered versys with the old style fugly headlight is just over 5k.....and unlike the MT07 it has more big bike proportions and is closer to the 200 miles per tank of fuel.

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: 29 December 2014, 05:49:56 pm »
noggy,go back to when you was happy,to the bike you adored,and hanker over every time you see one,a bike you know,and trust,one that'll do the trip back over the wall in (relative) comfort and let you play and scratch on your lovely welsh roads..........

buy my Fazer 600 so i can buy the MT 09 TRACER that im in lust with  :)

and cos its you,i'll keep all the trick blingy bits on it for ya AND chuck in the R6 shock that i have waiting to be fitted  :thumbup

job done,can we close this thread now,as noggy is going back to his beloved  :faz   600 days  :lol

go on,you know you want to mate  ;)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: 29 December 2014, 06:08:18 pm »
noggy,go back to when you was happy,to the bike you adored,and hanker over every time you see one,a bike you know,and trust,one that'll do the trip back over the wall in (relative) comfort and let you play and scratch on your lovely welsh roads..........

and cos its you,i'll keep all the trick blingy bits on it for ya AND chuck in the R6 shock that i have waiting to be fitted  :thumbup

job done,can we close this thread now,as noggy is going back to his beloved  :faz   600 days  :lol

go on,you know you want to mate  ;)

Make sense to me pilgo. Then he won't be banished to the "what did you do with whatever else you've got" thread with the Christos and other riff raff  :pokefun

Oh, wait, but then you will be! Traitors, the lot of ya  :lol

:faz :faz :faz :faz :faz :faz   :D

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: 29 December 2014, 06:43:24 pm »
I can only see three options for you noggy

1. Fzs600 Carburettor version  :thumbup
2. Fzs1000 Carburettor Version :thumbup
3. Walk  :lol

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: 29 December 2014, 10:26:46 pm »
But anyway, this is what got me to the Versys 650, tall riding position and supermoto type ergonomics, long travel suspension, good handling, ok not the most powerful but still fun.

This is a good video.....ok the guy aint going supersonic but the bike is hardly slow now is it.

It doesn't look much as though he's ever going above 80 to me? Not my type of road unfortunately - looks lovely, and I'd love it on a supermoto or something, but I wouldn't be able to stretch the legs of my 10!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: 29 December 2014, 10:38:18 pm »

It doesn't look much as though he's ever going above 80 to me? Not my type of road unfortunately - looks lovely, and I'd love it on a supermoto or something, but I wouldn't be able to stretch the legs of my 10!

That's all im after Joe, maybe max out at 100 and then back to 80....but on small roads.....not as smooth as that video though, a few more potholes and patches. I like exploring now so im often on little B roads out in the sticks.

I will miss the power of the Thou.....and im glad i did it just for the experience......but the rest will make up for that........if i ever get big time smoked by a FZ1 though i might change my mind again :lol ......unless im on a straight then i wont feel so bad.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: 30 December 2014, 09:44:14 am »
wasn`t going to get involved in this thread as i think bike choice is a personal thing,anyway we all know the bike for noggy is a carberd fazer,not that hard to work out..... :rolleyes ....he`s probably being a great help to mrs noggy now as the big day approaches and we have another little nogster in the world,who knows it might put a wee smile on the foccers face  :lol

so, whilst hes busy getting in the way it gives us foccers who know, time to choose his bike without him getting in the way  :thumbup .....a quick flick through the bay that is evil and i find a bike with noggys name written all over it.........job done   :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151532324039?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
« Last Edit: 30 December 2014, 09:46:56 am by red98 »
One, is never going to be enough.....

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: 30 December 2014, 01:19:22 pm »
Thats no good to him, its red. He needs a nice slow blue or silver one. He can`t have a black one either as they look too nice.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: 30 December 2014, 01:27:44 pm »

That got me googling and I didn't know Yamaha had announced the price of the bike - £8150!

Hmm, I wonder what it would be here in Ireland. Nothing on Yamaha's Irish site, I must check with Danfay.

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: 30 December 2014, 02:47:48 pm »

That got me googling and I didn't know Yamaha had announced the price of the bike - £8150!

Hmm, I wonder what it would be here in Ireland. Nothing on Yamaha's Irish site, I must check with Danfay.

go on youtube,type in '2015 yamaha FJ-09 - first ride and review (MT-09 TRACER)' and watch/listen to that triple roaring,the yank doing the commentry is a tad annoying,but its a great review and is seriously getting me tempted to get one !! ( sorry,not i.t savvy enough to put the linky thingy up  :pc  )

theres also a vid up of the Tracer with the Akropovic exhaust on,sounds even better !!  :b