Date: 28-03-24  Time: 18:26 pm

Author Topic: re bars and screens etc etc  (Read 2891 times)

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
re bars and screens etc etc
« on: 15 March 2013, 10:06:03 pm »
Hi all,
Been reading posts about screens and bars and so on whilst waiting  for my new battery to arrive. Well it arrived yesterday gave it  a 2 hour charge annd it started the bike straight away. Went for the firsdt decent ride of the year, the weather here has been pretty shite since Jan, either icy snowy or bloody wet. Then this morning it was bright blue sky bloody cold (for mid March) but bugger it, I had a new battery and was gonna use it!
Anyway.....the bike was ace, so much better than me after a few months off, I did lean into a few corners, watching closely for the shite left behind by the local tractors and the gravel left behind by the gritters, it snowed yesterday! The point I want to make is that I was getting shoulder and neck ache because I was hunching my shoulders when I acted on this and relaxed my arms the pain eased but I still get aches so I end up sitting upright like a copper and then even with a touring screen get a fair bit of turbulence which means the noise in my helmet is bloody loud. I have tried 3 screens and various bar positions but for me it comes down to how I sit on the bike, I have to constantly remind myself to relax my shoulders and arms and maybe get a quieter helmet!!
OR maybe I should mod my fazer into a chopper and fit a bloody barn door of a screen, does anyone know if there has been a fazer modded into a foot forward bike, I have looked at a few but only 70 bhp, please!!
Only a thought :b

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: re bars and screens etc etc
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2013, 10:12:21 pm »
I always thought i was getting hit a lot with the wind on my Fazer 1k, as it always seemed really noisy. However, I put a pair of earphones in the for the last journey I did (noise cancelling), and it was actually very relaxing, it wasn't windy, and it wasn't noisy at all!
Not sure how that worked, but clearly I was suffering from noise, but not actually wind!

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2013, 10:57:30 pm »
I think Fazers are pretty noisy whichever screen you've got. They're not brilliant aerodynamically. A quiet helmet does make a difference. I've got a Schuberth C3 and with earplugs, it's incredibly quiet. Perfect seal on the visor, no air leaks whatsoever, vents that actually work, very warm in winter too, yet perfectly cool in summer. Best helmet I've ever had, and by a country mile. They cost a bastard fortune though.

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2013, 10:59:35 am »
I tried a lot of screens on mine, found the skidmarx d/b the best, but I think a lot of it is down to your size, helmet (Roof diversion I found quiet and not too expensive) and also I think fit of your clothing. If you have a loose fit around your shoulders/neck I found that added to noise, and also fitting a skirt to the base of the helmet can cut down noise on some helmets. Try putting your hand flat under your chin between your neck and helmet front, see if that cuts down the noise. If it does, fit a skirt to the helmet.
as to turbulance, try and keep below 100.
You may well find the aches go away, I always found on mine that if I hadn't been riding it for a while I got a lot of shoulder/back ache, but after I few trips they just dissapeared. I think it might just be you need your body to get used to the position again if you haven't ridden a while.
Just my 10 cents for what it's worth :)
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2013, 03:01:26 pm »
Couldn't agree more about ill fitting gear and air swirling around helmets and geting in underneath. My Nolan is both a flip front and 10 years old so maybe time for a newer lid.
Take the point about the C3 but they are dear!
Also like the idea of noise cancelling ear buds, I do like to listen to music when riding and the Nolan has an interphone F4 installed so will look into finding a cheap pair of noise cancellers.
I also see that no-one has commented on modding a fazer to make a cruiser, surely someone has done this, maybe in the USA or Japan???
I have seen fazer trikes but never seen the point of a trike: you get cold and wet like a bike but stuck in traffic like a car.

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2013, 06:09:30 pm »
You might also consider that you may have been, unconsciously, scrunching yourself up against the cold and making yourself stiff and achey because of that, see what happens when it warms up a bit. Also consider, doing some gentle warming up exersises before you ride, if you haven't ridden the bike for a while your body will not be used to it and will complain!

Shack

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2013, 03:53:52 am »
I played around with a set of spare pegs on a recent ride to Margaret River South of Perth, Western Australia. let me stretch my legs out quite comfortable.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2013, 06:31:16 am »
Now the wind will blow up your trousers and cool your goolies :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

andydrz

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2013, 08:35:41 am »
I put my feet on the crash bungs when on a long motorway journey. It does help stretch the legs for a while  :)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2013, 09:57:33 am »
I put my feet on the crash bungs when on a long motorway journey. It does help stretch the legs for a while  :)
Yep, I do that too. I look like a right plonker, but I don't care, it stretches your legs off a bit.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2013, 06:33:36 pm »
Hi Shack,
I had thought of doing this too, where did you get the pegs from and were they difficult to fit??
Tommo

Shack

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 April 2013, 01:52:53 am »
The previous owner put billet pegs on so I had a spare set, experimental but it worked ok I take them off for normal city riding. A hose clamp and a small bolt keeps it fairly solid, the bracket is an old speaker bracket used the existing  hole and cut and bent to fit, comes off leaving the bracket still attached.