Date: 22-05-24  Time: 11:20 am

Author Topic: notchy gears and chains  (Read 2271 times)

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
notchy gears and chains
« on: 23 March 2012, 07:23:40 pm »
Hi guys,
Im very new to bikes but eventually got my fz6s, i know first into second would be a clunker from what ive read but i was still getting clunky changes into 3rd and 4th , my bike had a new rear tyre fitted before i got it so thought they would put the chain tightness right went out today after watched a youtube vid about chain tightness etc , got my user manual out measured the slack after trying to find tight spot in the chain and noticed that it was only about 30mm of play so had to slacken off the wheel and adjusters to go back to 45mm play hope this will get rid of some of the notchy gear changes , but will this have damaged my chain and sprockets?? :'(

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: notchy gears and chains
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2012, 07:32:06 pm »
Probably not. My tyre fitter chap (who should know better, Paul, if you'r reading this, that's you that is, idiot) did this to me about a month ago and I had to ride into work with clicketty clunk gear changes and a nasty whining noise from the gearshaft bearing. -I put it right at lunchtime.
No damage 1,000 miles or so later and all is fine. Worry less....etc

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: notchy gears and chains
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2012, 09:10:30 am »
this is the reason i always have my tyres fitted to loose wheels...not only can you adjust the chain correctly you can check alignment of the two wheels using a straight edge,the marks on the swinging arm are not always spot-on,it can make a great difference with how the bike rides with these two items correctly adjusted :)
One, is never going to be enough.....