Date: 06-05-24  Time: 09:00 am

Author Topic: Clutch drag  (Read 2349 times)

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Clutch drag
« on: 25 July 2012, 08:30:39 am »
I think my clutch cable is correctly adjusted. As per the Haynes manual, there is a few mm of play before the clutch starts to pull.

With the clutch lever pulled all the way in, the clutch is still dragging, turning the back wheel (when on centre stand). It's not by much, it only takes a light touch on the wheel to stop it.

It doesn't give me any trouble when riding, but I do wonder if it will lead to premature wear on the clutch.

Is this normal? Acceptable?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch drag
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2012, 08:56:56 am »
Could just be a stretched cable, d'ya know when it was last changed?
Any drag of the clutch is not acceptable because it will just get worn out, unless that is actually the reason already?
If you're sure there's no more adjustment i would start with a new clutch cable, but order a Yamaha OEM one from Fowlers of Bristol, not an Ebay jobbie. (have your chassis number ready, they will ask for it), unless you're fortunate enough to have a dealer near you with one in stock? If it's not in stock they'll ring Fowlers anyway so may as well cut out the middle man! ;)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2012, 09:37:38 am »
Mine does this too, personally I thought this was normal but if it's not I'm sure Iwill be corrected ;)

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2012, 09:51:17 am »
What you describe sounds perfectly normal. There is always bound to be a certain amount of drag from a clutch running in oil. I would be more worried if it wasn't turning the back wheel when on the centre stand as that would indicate excessive drag on the back brake etc.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2012, 05:33:21 pm »
I'm assuming you're using the right oil for the bike - using the wrong oil can cause clutch drag (or indeed, clutch slip).

Not sure if my FZ does it (I'll try it later and see and post the outcome), bear in mind though that on the C/stand, there's no resistance on the back wheel to stop it (off the stand, the bike won't move due to the weight until the clutch properly bites).

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2012, 09:04:44 am »
I'm assuming you're using the right oil for the bike - using the wrong oil can cause clutch drag (or indeed, clutch slip).

Don't know what the oil is, as I've not changed it since getting the bike a couple of months ago (~700 miles). The bike had a dealer service a couple of weeks before I bought it, so I assume they put the right stuff in.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2012, 12:59:24 pm »
Just my two scents, but mine doesn't do this. Back wheel is free - spins 2+ times from a good push so the back brake definitely isn't binding.

Pickle

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2012, 04:00:24 pm »
This is normal when the engine is cold but should stop when up to temp.

Bob

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 July 2012, 07:13:05 pm »
Just my two scents, but mine doesn't do this. Back wheel is free - spins 2  times from a good push so the back brake definitely isn't binding.
I stand corrected  :o . Inspired by your two cents worth I gave mine a try today. With a cold engine and in first gear with clutch pulled fully in the back wheel didn't move at all on tickover. When revved a bit the wheel very slowly rotated, probably helped by the vibration.
Like yours Dead Eye the wheel is free enough, but I guess the resistance of the chain over the swinging arm protector and drag from the oil seals etc is enough to overcome the slight drag of the clutch. I'm was surprised at this, but I guess the clunk when you engage first gear always made me think that  clutch drag was the cause.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2012, 07:17:50 pm »
Ditto

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2012, 11:38:00 pm »
My wheel doesnt rotate hot or cold when on centrestand and yes i can spin the wheel freely..  :)
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2012, 02:23:34 pm »

If you're sure there's no more adjustment i would start with a new clutch cable, but order a Yamaha OEM one from Fowlers of Bristol, not an Ebay jobbie.

What's wrong with going non-OEM?  Is it a specific issue with clutch cables, or do you just recommend OEM in general?

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 July 2012, 02:50:06 pm »
Whether it be a genuine Yamaha item or not a replacement Clutch cable would not alter the problem as post does quote the cable is adjusted correctly with couple mil play at the lever end..
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 July 2012, 05:50:20 pm »
its normal  ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 July 2012, 07:29:35 pm »
OEM clutch cables just tend to feel and last better in my opinion.

But as has been suggested, i'm not sure that you've actually got a problem?  :rolleyes
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.