Date: 28-04-24  Time: 08:54 am

Author Topic: Tony Archer vs Gel  (Read 10554 times)

tailgate

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Tony Archer vs Gel
« on: 27 March 2013, 12:33:06 pm »
Hi there fellow riders.
I'd appreciate your opinion on seat replacement for my FZ1S 2008 gen2.
I've had an incident with lower back recently (riding over pothole) whereas I had to move around the same way as my pregnant wife for a week.
After that i've decided to invest a little into backside comfort.
After speaking to Tony and looking at fleabay the options are as follows - re-foamed stock from TA for around 60 squid (it'll be higher by abt 25 mm tho) or Yamaha Comfort Gel one - on ebay £100-200.
Have you had any of those? Opinions?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: 27 March 2013, 05:14:40 pm by tailgate »

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
Re: Tony Archer vs Gel
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2013, 04:13:51 pm »
If you have hurt one of your disks in your lumbar spine I'd go for a higher re-foamed stock one. I have always had these on my Fazers. I tried a strap-on gel seat for the beemer 800st when I had it, which was comfortable on the old posterior, but did nothing for the shock absorbtion, unlike the re-foamed seat. See what density of foam you can get, maybe a mix with dense foam lower down and softer foam on top, and try on off cut on your seat if you can, that will help decide. But in my experience foam is better for shock ansorbtion if you have a disk problem, Hope that helps, and that your back pin improves.  :)
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

tailgate

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2013, 05:14:03 pm »
Thanks a lot mate. That's the info i was looking for.

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2013, 07:47:27 pm »
I had my FZS1  seat recovered by Tony, job well done and a great improvement over standard.

tailgate

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2013, 10:34:13 am »
Thanks, that's what i've heard about Tony as well. I generally prefer foam over gel. What i was interested in is how does refoaming compare to the genuine Yamaha gel seat (not the gel pads - tried it before - it's crap).

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2013, 12:18:43 pm »
Hi
I've use all three types.
The stock seat was uncomfortable but I still managed 300+ days
I then tried the Yamaha 'touring' seat but it didn't offer much more comfort & I felt I was positioned too high in relation to the bars.
I am using a Tony Archer modified seat at the moment & it is very comfortable & retains a similar position as the stock seat. He did rider & pillion seats for £90.

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2013, 03:10:48 pm »
 :)   I had the seat on the 'Spanish Dancer' Honda CB1300 sidecar outfit completely re-built and re-covered to order by Tony .. while I waited  8) 

All organised and booked well in advance .. to be done during a ride from Holland back to Spain via Scotland. He also made me a one off matching additional 'cushion' insert .. to fit inside the sidecar seat (She's worth it  ;) ). 

All done with 100% expert workmanship and top class materials and just about unbeatable prices .. no complaints.

However .. he really is the most laid back bugger you'll ever meet  :rolleyes  so he does not always please everyone .. I've heard a few very valid complaints about his service. Give him time and listen to his advice .. you will not go far wrong.

I also recently got an Air Hawk inflatable jobby .. nice bit of extra $£€ comfort on my regular 500 to 750 mile days  :lol

I've never used a Gel insert .. but they are no use down here on the Costa Blanca anyway .. 40c+ temps in the summer can really hot things up on a bike .. frying your bum within minutes.   :\ .

Stay Cool Dudes  ;)    Trev

tailgate

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2013, 03:47:30 pm »
Hi
I've use all three types.
The stock seat was uncomfortable but I still managed 300+ days
I then tried the Yamaha 'touring' seat but it didn't offer much more comfort & I felt I was positioned too high in relation to the bars.
I am using a Tony Archer modified seat at the moment & it is very comfortable & retains a similar position as the stock seat. He did rider & pillion seats for £90.
piccy pls?

tailgate

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2013, 03:48:45 pm »
:)   I had the seat on the 'Spanish Dancer' Honda CB1300 sidecar outfit completely re-built and re-covered to order by Tony .. while I waited  8) 

All organised and booked well in advance .. to be done during a ride from Holland back to Spain via Scotland. He also made me a one off matching additional 'cushion' insert .. to fit inside the sidecar seat (She's worth it  ;) ). 

All done with 100% expert workmanship and top class materials and just about unbeatable prices .. no complaints.

However .. he really is the most laid back bugger you'll ever meet  :rolleyes  so he does not always please everyone .. I've heard a few very valid complaints about his service. Give him time and listen to his advice .. you will not go far wrong.

I also recently got an Air Hawk inflatable jobby .. nice bit of extra $£€ comfort on my regular 500 to 750 mile days  :lol

I've never used a Gel insert .. but they are no use down here on the Costa Blanca anyway .. 40c+ temps in the summer can really hot things up on a bike .. frying your bum within minutes.   :\ .

Stay Cool Dudes  ;)    Trev

Cheers. Not yet ready (old enough) for a sidecar but good to know ;)

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2013, 09:28:30 pm »
If you log in...go into Media...Home   page 4  image 33, 34 , 35 are of the seat Tony did for me, I asked for the Corbin type and had the piping done to suit the bike.

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2013, 09:33:52 pm »
Mmmm..ive just gone in to check and its no longer on page 4, but if you go thru it and look for image no 0033&0035 theyre there somewhere

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 March 2013, 10:11:35 am »
Mmmm..ive just gone in to check and its no longer on page 4, but if you go thru it and look for image no 0033&0035 theyre there somewhere
can you tell us the sort of money involved.....i may have a ride to see the guy sometime

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 March 2013, 11:15:22 am »
Due to age and recreational substance abuse decreasing the  my memory I cant remember the exact price. Certainly not £100 plus. I do remember thinking it was an absolute bargain. His workshop is right by Huddersfield RLCs ground . go online get his number and ask him. you may have to call several times to get an answer I remember

durchy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 March 2013, 11:57:10 am »
Tony did mine on gen 2  fazer when I bought it two years ago.
He does a great job of recovering, and colour coded rider and pillion piping to
match engine covers and hugger (gold).
Can't say it's a comfortable ride, as after about 80-100 miles you need a break.
I think the original seat was rubbish to start with, and apart from the Airhawk types
which makes you much higher, and not good for shorter riders, I think you have to
just put up with the pain!
As for Tony Archer, he's just your typical one man band, they're all the same, not really
keen business people, you just have to go along with them! 

The older we get the better we were!

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 March 2013, 01:29:21 pm »
Tailgate,  Hi Mate ..

I can't see what the 'sidecar' bit has to do with the Bike Seat .. sorry maybe I should not have included that word.
A seat on a Bike is a Bike seat  :\

As for your 'Not Old Enough'   :rolleyes   Well .. like most Solo riders .. you have no idea about the fun you are missing .. I had my first BSA 650 Black Flash outfit back in 1959 when I was about twenty.

Photo:  About 1962/3 Me on my Big Beautiful Vincent 1000cc V Twin and Watsonian Single Seat Sports Chair.   

Stay Safe .. keep well over  8)    Trev

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 March 2013, 04:10:46 pm »

Good pic, bet you wish you still had the bike now !!!
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 April 2013, 08:12:16 am »
I ditto the comments about TA. I had my FZ-1 plank , sorry seat , refoamed by him in 06 and loved it. He is not to be rushed, has to be rung a few times to get results, but a fine job all the same. He has no shortage of work, so for the price he charges, I think its well worth the wait.

I also have an airhawk seat which really complements the seats I have on my bikes. I had my gen1 seat foam cut a bit as I have short inseam,its a diggerseats jobbie which is still comfy for most rides, the airhawk makes it alday comfy. Similarly on my GS, as its the low seat version, its not as comfy as a stock seat , so once again the airhawk helps out on tours .I get on the bike first , then put the cushion underneath me, so I get the benefit of the lowered seat.

I dont like gel at all, I find it very uncomfy. Always have gone for a foam seat anyday. The issue with the FZ-1 seat seems to be yamaha never thought people would be riding it for any time. I mean decent foam is pennies....why not fit it in first place !!

tailgate

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 April 2013, 12:31:43 pm »
Tailgate,  Hi Mate ..

I can't see what the 'sidecar' bit has to do with the Bike Seat .. sorry maybe I should not have included that word.
A seat on a Bike is a Bike seat  :\

As for your 'Not Old Enough'   :rolleyes   Well .. like most Solo riders .. you have no idea about the fun you are missing .. I had my first BSA 650 Black Flash outfit back in 1959 when I was about twenty.

Photo:  About 1962/3 Me on my Big Beautiful Vincent 1000cc V Twin and Watsonian Single Seat Sports Chair.   

Stay Safe .. keep well over  8)    Trev
Hiya. Meant to say appreciate your feedback on subj. Re sidecar.. bike's my excuse to leave missus at home, not to drag her along if you know what i mean.. ;)   awesome photo. wish i could flash something like this before my grandkids
« Last Edit: 02 April 2013, 12:33:46 pm by tailgate »

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 April 2013, 04:16:26 pm »
 :)   Please feel free to flash that old picture at anyone you like Buddy  8)   
In fact you can have all my grand kids and great grand kids as well if you like.

:\  PB

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 April 2013, 07:29:19 am »
Trev
I dont believe you were everthat young !   :lol

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 April 2013, 08:00:01 am »
  :)   Oh Yes Jon .. in fact .. I was even younger than that for a few years.

Back in the class of 1956 I was still 16 .. far Right in old photo .. however .. in those days we did have to kind of 'grow up' a bit swift like  :eek  .  I recon it's a pity that All lads don't get such a good start off the grid these days.  :\

Stay Safe  ;)   Trev.

« Last Edit: 03 April 2013, 08:04:08 am by purplebear7 »

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 April 2013, 07:58:52 pm »
MOT today so while out took a couple of pics of the seats for you mr tailgate. I don't like fancy so asked for plain & simple.

They are very comfortable. Btw, tried a gel insert on the gen1 & it didn't help so tried them all.

Oops try again

« Last Edit: 03 April 2013, 08:14:48 pm by DekF »

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 April 2013, 08:23:27 pm »
useful pics Dek.....did you do mail order or go and see the guy?

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 April 2013, 08:29:17 pm »
All done over the phone bud, including payment.
Took an age though  :\

tailgate

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 April 2013, 11:03:37 am »
It looks awesome without any fancy stuff. Thanks for posting! I think i might order exactly the same thing.
Cheers.