Date: 20-05-24  Time: 01:20 am

Author Topic: The front sprocket nut and washer saga  (Read 50205 times)

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: The front sprocket nut and washer saga
« Reply #175 on: 04 May 2013, 09:18:58 pm »
Doesn't matter really as the nut has held. Mine was visibly loose and only the locking washer was holding the sprocket on. I'd still recommend acquiring the new nut when changing the sprockets next time. Doesn't look like the nut is flush with the axle end as the new nut is, so could be that's still the old nut type. Only measuring the thickness would tell for sure. 9 mm -> old nut and 12 mm -> new nut.
thanks
i'll keep an eye on it and change it next time i do the sprockets just to be safe.

Foxwood

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 04 May 2013, 09:28:08 pm »
thanks
i'll keep an eye on it and change it next time i do the sprockets just to be safe.

No problem.
A good indicator that something might be going wrong is unordinary noise coming from the chains/sprockets that doesn't cease with lubing or tightening of the chains. At least that's how I caught onto my problem at first.  :)  Oh and found a few pics of the 2 different nuts to visualize them.

Edit: Left one is old and right one is new.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2013, 09:29:03 pm by Foxwood »

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 04 May 2013, 09:32:20 pm »
thanks

No problem.
A good indicator that something might be going wrong is unordinary noise coming from the chains/sprockets that doesn't cease with lubing or tightening of the chains. At least that's how I caught onto my problem at first.  :)  Oh and found a few pics of the 2 different nuts to visualize them.

Edit: Left one is old and right one is new.
many thanks :)

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 04 May 2013, 10:48:40 pm »
spotted this
not sure if it will help anyone.......
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230918451728

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 04 May 2013, 11:40:53 pm »
spotted this

Why bother paying? If it's not been done Yamaha are still changing them for free!
The Deef's apprentice

Foxwood

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: 05 May 2013, 12:23:10 am »
spotted this

Why bother paying? If it's not been done Yamaha are still changing them for free!

Local dealer said not a known problem.
Finnish importer's technical assistance manager also said not a known problem, FZ-6 issues not related even though basically the same structure and the technical service bulletin numbers didn't relate to anything in the databases.
Finnish importer's Yamaha motorcycle product family line manager also said the same and relayed some bullshit e-mail from a Yamaha Europe representative (handily had censored all critical info, like names and e-mail addresses).

:wall

After enough of doing that, I just bought the f*cking new nut of eBay. Wasn't really expecting much for 14 year-old bike, but I do know now that I will never ever be buying a new Yamaha or spare parts from the local importer.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 05 May 2013, 07:04:36 am »
Even if you have to buy the 12mm nut & lock washer kit from Yamaha you shouldn't have to pay any more than I did- £2-44 -2 weeks ago  via main dealer.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 05 May 2013, 11:09:55 am »
spotted this

Local dealer said not a known problem.
Finnish importer's technical assistance manager also said not a known problem, FZ-6 issues not related even though basically the same structure and the technical service bulletin numbers didn't relate to anything in the databases.
Finnish importer's Yamaha motorcycle product family line manager also said the same and relayed some bullshit e-mail from a Yamaha Europe representative (handily had censored all critical info, like names and e-mail addresses).

:wall

After enough of doing that, I just bought the f*cking new nut of eBay. Wasn't really expecting much for 14 year-old bike, but I do know now that I will never ever be buying a new Yamaha or spare parts from the local importer.

Next time you see them show them the service note number: SERVICE NOTE 2005-12A

More info here as well:   http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,92.msg370.html#msg370
« Last Edit: 05 May 2013, 11:10:29 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.