Date: 19-04-24  Time: 17:40 pm

Author Topic: Carrying weight with pillion etc  (Read 1278 times)

Lakesandcakes

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Carrying weight with pillion etc
« on: 13 January 2021, 07:05:39 pm »
Hi everyone.

I had a search around and I can find any info on the total load weight of the Fazer 1000.

I have a 2003 with a standard shock (I know....upgrade to the R6 shock - this is my next mod) and 50mm raiser dog bones to help the steering etc. My static sag is about 35mm when I sit on the bike my myself which I think is about right but I would turn up the preload for 2 up to help.

My question is has anyone any experience of 2 up with luggage (panniers) with rider and pillion being a nice comfy weight. I'm 6 foot and about 15.5 stone. The wife is "about" 13 stone but 6.2 ish (not that her height make any difference but she would say she has a good excuse) :rolleyes [size=78%]. [/size][/size]That give us a combined weight of 28.5 stone or 177KG....give or take a good breakfast. Add to that motorbike kit and a bit or weekend luggage and we would be pushing 190/200KG...I pack light![size=78%]

[/size]Is this too much for the old girl?....the bike not the wife![size=78%]

[/size]I'd be very interested to here anyone's experience of weekend touring with pillions and weight issues or non issues.Thanks for your time![size=78%]

windyg

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Carrying weight with pillion etc
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2021, 07:20:01 am »
I cant comment on how she would behave with an 18 year old standard shock. I have the R6 conversion on mine as for weight we are comparable 17 stone for me and 11 for SWMBO.

The longest tour we have done on the Fazer is 2 weeks through the Pyrennes last year, as well as the two of us we had 2 44lt pannier a 50 lt top box and a tank bag. (And yes they where full) Yes I did wind up the rear shock 3 clicks but the bike handled it with no issues.

Lakesandcakes

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2021, 09:14:04 am »
I cant comment on how she would behave with an 18 year old standard shock. I have the R6 conversion on mine as for weight we are comparable 17 stone for me and 11 for SWMBO.

The longest tour we have done on the Fazer is 2 weeks through the Pyrennes last year, as well as the two of us we had 2 44lt pannier a 50 lt top box and a tank bag. (And yes they where full) Yes I did wind up the rear shock 3 clicks but the bike handled it with no issues.

Thanks Windyg for your thoughts.....I think I need to get on with that R6 shock change asap to give me a chance.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2021, 09:21:07 am »
That give us a combined weight of 28.5 stone or 177KG....give or take a good breakfast. Add to that motorbike kit and a bit or weekend luggage and we would be pushing 190/200KG...I pack light!

Is this too much for the old girl?....the bike not the wife!

Yes it is.  The max load for for FZS1000 is 189kg, 28.5 stone is just under 180kg not 177kg.  Your estimate for kit and luggage is also conservative, helmet, textile WP with armour, boots, gloves and clothes is around 8kg each add your luggage 15 - 20kg if packed light, you're well over Gross Vehicle Weight Rating i.e. what the bike is designed to carry.  If you are involved in an accident and this is discovered your insurance will be invalid and the police could prosecute you.

It's not just the shock you need to worry about either but the subframe, front suspension and the brakes all will be working harder than they're designed too.  Yes the manufacturer will set the weight lower than it can take or SWL but not much and it's the weight set by them that counts.    It's a bit like towing a trailer over the towing weight of a car, that happens all the time and often ends in  :'( to say nothing of the fine :eek

I've seen many bike well overloaded bouncing up the motorway looking like they're about to take off, unstable and dangerous, police will stop you especially in the EU.  I've seen quite a few cracked sub frames and herd of them collapsing while riding  :eek :'( :'(

Later

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2021, 01:43:04 pm »
 Just going to chip in with my thoughts ,We toured for 10 years on 2 pan europeans and had about that weight when we went on a big tour abroad if not a little bit more,we certainly knew when we'd got the weight on and that was on a specific tourer designed for big miles 2up with luggage.I think you're over the limits a bit with the Fazer, R6 shock or not but I hope you sort something out . :thumbup
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2021, 02:49:23 pm »
It’s amazing the weight of riding kit. I know for a fact my 2 piece leathers, crash helmet, boots and gloves are exactly 2 stone, which makes Gnashers allowance of 8kg, quite conservative. Would imagine textiles would be lighter, but personally only choose them in the winter. Obviously a big difference between what you can get away with, carrying capacity wise, and what is safe.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.