Date: 19-05-24  Time: 19:31 pm

Author Topic: New cage.. Trying to decide what to get  (Read 10516 times)

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
New cage.. Trying to decide what to get
« on: 29 October 2013, 12:11:46 am »
Hi all, I am on the look for a new car. I currently drive a 52 plate 3.2 V6 vectra. It is fairly rapid but I feel I want something a bit different. I do around 5000 miles a year in the car so cost of fuel does not worry me. I am also 34 years old with some nice no claims (Vectra is £330 to insure)

Looking for ideas really. Had a few so far but open to others. Ideally I don't want to spend more than about £5k - £6k
Good size boot is nice for holidays but sure I could live with a saloon.

I have always wanted a V8 so I am leaning that way

So far looked at
BMW 545i (probably touring)
Audi S4
Vauxhall monaro
Mazda 6 mps
Volvo S60r
Volvo S80 v8 (engine made by Yamaha don't ya know)
Subaru Impreza WRX (possibly sportwagon)

I am not interested in Jag's or Rovers etc. I am still a little to young for jackets with elbow patches.  :lol
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: New cage.. Trying to decide what to get
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2013, 12:25:51 am »
or smaller hehe

Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2013, 07:42:31 am »
The Audi will cost you an arm n a leg for most things.

BMW 545i (probably touring) - not bad!
Audi S4 - good till it goes wrong then kerching!
Vauxhall monaro - ALL THE WAY :lol 
Mazda 6 mps - Yawn!
Volvo S60r - old man's car!
Volvo S80 v8 (engine made by Yamaha don't ya know) - another old man's car!
Subaru Impreza WRX (possibly sportwagon) - chavvy and ugly!

The Monaro.......totally awesome, basic design and a proven lump - won't go wrong. Buy it  :evil
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201310169304404/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/price-to/7000/model/monaro/make/vauxhall/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1500/postcode/rg414as/page/1?logcode=p  Ding Dong!!!

Give me a shout and I can test drive a few for you - rev counter check etc. :D
« Last Edit: 29 October 2013, 08:05:27 am by Frosties »
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 October 2013, 08:15:30 am »
think BIGGER:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201309309024279/sort/default/usedcars/model/s8/make/audi/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/quicksearch/true/radius/1500/page/1/postcode/g823jp?logcode=p

:)

I had also considered a S8 but being the same engine as the S4 and S6 (4.2 V8) I ruled it out thinking it will be a tad heavy to be fun. granted you can get some good larger cars for the money I intend to spend but I want something a bit sporty.
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2013, 08:21:51 am »
its got to be a M5 or M3 great cars not to flash but quick.

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2013, 08:23:16 am »
just saw the bugget soz maybe pick up a M3 that needs sorting out.

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2013, 08:26:15 am »
The Audi will cost you an arm n a leg for most things.

BMW 545i (probably touring) - not bad!
Audi S4 - good till it goes wrong then kerching!
Vauxhall monaro - ALL THE WAY :lol 
Mazda 6 mps - Yawn!
Volvo S60r - old man's car!
Volvo S80 v8 (engine made by Yamaha don't ya know) - another old man's car!
Subaru Impreza WRX (possibly sportwagon) - chavvy and ugly!

The Monaro.......totally awesome, basic design and a proven lump - won't go wrong. Buy it  :evil
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201310169304404/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/price-to/7000/model/monaro/make/vauxhall/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1500/postcode/rg414as/page/1?logcode=p  Ding Dong!!!

Give me a shout and I can test drive a few for you - rev counter check etc. :D

Lol.. Monaro is ok. I have pretty much ruled them out tbh. That one is a bit high mileage and the interior looks a bit worn (seat bolster) And I know I said petrol wasn't much of an issue but 17-18mpg would upset me a little lol. My Vectra does about 200 miles to £60 of v-power.. god knows what that will do lol.
Lord,
Amen

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2013, 08:37:07 am »

Budget can go a little higher depending on what it is, would probably be M5 over an M3 though.
Will keep in mind though.
Lord,
Amen

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 October 2013, 10:11:28 am »

Budget can go a little higher depending on what it is, would probably be M5 over an M3 though.
Will keep in mind though.

M5 or M3 :eek

Just think of the associated costs to re-wire the indicators so they work..................not to mention the front fog light inhibit switch unless its actually foggy  :pokefun
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 October 2013, 10:36:40 am »
Out of the listed cars, I'd be leaning towards the Monaro... though I'd be hunting down one of the later Supercharged VX8R models which will probably break the budget :lol

After that then probably the BMW. Audi's I'm not keen on and the Volvo / Mazda are nice cars but aren't "special" enough compared to the rest of the list. I also like to own slightly more obscure cars apparently - it can be a bit underwhelming when you see 10 other people driving the same car as you during the drive to the shops... My friend has a 2006 Ford Focus - nice car BUT there's just so many of them and they all seem to be the same colour, its insane!

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 October 2013, 03:30:32 pm »
Anything with AMG written on the engine :car

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 October 2013, 04:12:14 pm »
Buying a 30-50K car for 5-6k is going to bring its own set of problems as I suspect they are going be high mileage dogs.....I hope you have a service and repairs budget to match

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 October 2013, 06:52:16 pm »
Well of course I am a little biased, and it depends on your needs but..........................

I bought a Skoda (YES! Skoda) Citigo this year and I just love it.

NO ROAD TAX
VERY LOW INSURANCE
AROUND 50+ mpg.
SURPRISINGLY NIPPY
VERY WELL SPECCED

GREAT FUN TO DRIVE

OK, so I may never be first away from the lights, unlike my FZS600 days, but in modern conditions I rarely get into top gear??

I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2013, 07:10:11 pm »
Skoda VRS  :eek

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 October 2013, 07:24:53 pm »
I love the skoda Octavia PD too but for this scenario I'd go for one of two options:

335D m-sport
or
Mitsu Evo IX

one is practical, one is nutter.  The torque on the 335d is immense.  You could even go for the 135i if you're really insane.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 October 2013, 07:55:58 pm »
Just to throw an idea that hasn't been mentioned out there, if you specifically need a sporty V8 car that doesn't need to be particularly practical or economical I'd go for a TVR.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201310159290272/sort/default/usedcars/make/tvr/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/tq26eb/page/1/radius/1500?logcode=p

Then again, may as well just get a bike and have a diesel estate unless you are a car enthusiast! 

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 October 2013, 10:11:10 pm »
Some interesting suggestions there chaps.

Bigbluebear - I have seen many low mile 'sporty' cars for naff all money. people don't want petrol guzzlers any more (apart from me) I am also fairly handy with the spanners so have no worries on servicing or maintenance.

Dilligaf - Sorry but that sounds truly horrible. Going from a 3.2 V6 to a little town car is my idea of hell. Living in Milton Keynes all roads are 60-70mph, low power cars are pointless round here. (Not trying to be rude just how I feel)

Mick-H - Octavia vrs maybe, Fabia VRS hell no too small

Simonm - Do not want a diesel. devils fuel lol.. I also live a mile or so from work so it would coke itself up in no time. Evo... I have worked on a a mates Evo 5 and I think that has tainted my view of them. Bloody terrible to work on

Yamazer-92 - epic but I would spend more time under it than driving it lol.

Maybe I should have set a few guidelines. I like quick Saloons and larger cars in general. I am 6'3 and 17 stone so roadsters and city cars are a no go. I also have 2 dogs that like to be taken to fun places  :lol

Hate to say it but the Impreza is looking like the winner so far. Ticks all my boxes and rather rapid. With snow set to be here by November so the scaremongers say the AWD will be a great help. I like to fettle and there are so many options to play with on them.
Seen many for £5-£6k mark with 50k on the clock. I also agree the older 'Bug eye' and 'Blob eye' were ugly but check a 'hawk eye' out.. They are really nice. Granted they say beauty is the eye of the blah blah but I like them.

Lord,
Amen

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 October 2013, 10:44:05 pm »
Just for once, it looks like there's someone else that shares my view on motors.  Diesel engine belong in trucks and tractor, not cars, fuel consumption is a fact of life and power is the most important criteria.  The Audi may be going down the BMW route due to the number of dickheads that seem to be buying them but a mate has a V10 S8.  Same engine as in the Lamborghini Gallardo no less, so if that is also in the S4 and is in your price range, would be a high contender in my book.  The other two that I've had experience of are probably out of your price range but both were absolutely awesome to drive.  Loads of power and made all the right noises.  I bought a Merc SL55 AMG back from the South of France and did 800 miles in 6.5 hours but the SL would be too small.  However the same lump in the C class would get close.  The other one gave me what must be the best journey ever.  Bradford to Nice via home in Peterborough in absolute luxury, at stupid speeds and with the best soundtrack ever, a Bentley Continental GT.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 October 2013, 10:46:11 pm »
Just started reading your thread, certainly interesting in your choice and reasons for choosing.
Driven quite a few of the cars mentioned in my role at work. Tbh, I'd pick the bmw 335d over the Scooby. It's just a better car. (dont know if you can get one for the price your after).
You can remap them up to nearly 400 brake, and 650lb/ft torque!! The roll on power is incredible, no turbo lag, no revving the knackers off it. Just instant power all the time, and handling is sublime. We use the 335d m sports at work for training advanced drivers, and they're ace, not much can keep up with them. I just wish we had them for general use. :(
I was a petrol head, and have been for the last 25 years. Recently moved to diesel, and won't look back now. Have a go in a few high powered derv cars, you never know, you might like them.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 October 2013, 11:12:56 pm »
My philosophy with cars is there is no point spending £30k+ because they lose money so quickly. You can get some great cars for naff all money. I purchased my Vectra in 2008 with 48k on the clock for £4400.. Has every toy you can imagine on it including the self dimming rear view mirror. Now has 82K and I just want a change. Just done an online valuation and I should get about £1300 trade in. Damn good value in my book to have lost £3100 in 5 years motoring.
Problem is now days people junk cars after they are about 4 years old. Madness when you think modern engines are so good.
I have a few mates who lease cars. 1 has a merc at £250 a month.. so paying £3k a year on a car you have nothing to show for at the end of it?! confuses the hell out of me. Granted some people do 30k miles a year or whatever but most of my mates don't.

I have driven a few 'quick' diesels but with my minimal commute it would kill he engine. Petrol is the best way for me tbh.

to throw an extra one into the mix you can now get older RS6's for around £10k.. I have driven one a few years back.. a whole new world of silly they are. would love one but I cannot justify that to the mrs lol. She will think i am cheating on her having to go to the petrol station so much.  :lol
« Last Edit: 29 October 2013, 11:14:27 pm by FuZzBoM »
Lord,
Amen

jason1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 October 2013, 11:24:25 pm »

£7,000Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTLi GT 3dr 18" ALLOY UPGRADE

Show insurance estimate for this car or get a full quote

• vehicle image
  • vehicle image
  • vehicle image
  • vehicle image
  • vehicle image
  • vehicle image
  • vehicle image
  • vehicle image
  • vehicle image
  • vehicle image
  • vehicle image
  • vehicle image

13 Photos

Slide show

Save to garage

[/color]Expert rating:[/color]n/a[/color]Read expert review

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 October 2013, 11:26:16 pm »
I am fond of imprezas , when I lived at home about 10 years ago I imported a wrx sti (classic model) 280 hp standard..

The addiction was strong and within 2 years I had sunk around 12 grand into it :eek

td06 turbo, yellow injectors, front mount, power fc, Andy forrest remap.  3inch pipe straight from the turbo, rally prepared box, brembos, coilovers + lots more!!!

Fantastic car, 1200 kgs, 400+ hp, only ever had trouble with a few cars, one being a merc, and only ever on long straights, don't know what type it was as I couldn't get close enough, obviously derestricted as I was over 155 and this thing was still going..

But any car upto a ton was fair game..

The way they can go round corners is astounding, especially when you have learnt left foot braking to cure the understeer..

But to get imprezas that good costs money, so in light of this it has to be an M3

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 October 2013, 11:50:24 pm »
I am fond of imprezas , when I lived at home about 10 years ago I imported a wrx sti (classic model) 280 hp standard..

The addiction was strong and within 2 years I had sunk around 12 grand into it :eek

td06 turbo, yellow injectors, front mount, power fc, Andy forrest remap.  3inch pipe straight from the turbo, rally prepared box, brembos, coilovers + lots more!!!

Fantastic car, 1200 kgs, 400+ hp, only ever had trouble with a few cars, one being a merc, and only ever on long straights, don't know what type it was as I couldn't get close enough, obviously derestricted as I was over 155 and this thing was still going..

But any car upto a ton was fair game..

The way they can go round corners is astounding, especially when you have learnt left foot braking to cure the understeer..

But to get imprezas that good costs money, so in light of this it has to be an M3

Phew.. thought I was the only one lol. I am looking at a 230bhp wrx. I am not looking for silly bhp but it is easy and cheap enough to get it upto sti bhp for a couple of hundred quid.
you have made me feel better about it.

I like to fettle with things so it will keep me occupied I am sure.

On a side note for that Celica.. Erm no thanks. Overpriced and slow. If you posted a link for a GT4 however. Different matter all together.  :lol
Lord,
Amen

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 October 2013, 09:11:50 am »
RS6, mmmmmm. Now that's a bloody good car! Even standard ones will still be in a bikes rear mirror at the end of the 1/4 mile >:D
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!