Date: 22-05-24  Time: 07:11 am

Author Topic: Exhaust Side Cam Chain Guide...  (Read 1389 times)

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
Exhaust Side Cam Chain Guide...
« on: 10 September 2016, 05:44:15 pm »
Hi All,

Need to take camshafts out as clearances are out of spec, have the cover off and cam chain tensioner released, but haynes manual and service manual say to remove the exhaust side cam chain guide, with pliers..

I cam move it a little bit, and pull it upwards a few cm, but it feels like it will need a fair old tug to get out, anyone had any issues, do not want to use too much force and break somete...

Anutz

turbo-steve

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust Side Cam Chain Guide...
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2016, 06:07:35 pm »
if its the the one to the front of  the engine. dont think ya can get it out till you remove the head.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2016, 06:40:59 pm »
both guides show it as something to remove as part of camshaft removal, and i wonder if its to give enough slack on the camchain so once the caps are off, the tension on the chain does not jam at the sprockets....so need to get it right...

anyone else had an issue here?

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2016, 09:06:45 pm »
You do not need to remove it.
Simplest method is the remove the inlet camshaft sprocket .
With that sprocket off it gives plenty of room to remove the exhaust cam.
Mark the camshaft sprockets and chain and the crankshaft sprocket and chain with paint or tippex as it makes putting it back together easier   

Before removing the tensioner I rotated the cam until I could remove the sprocket lower bolt. Then turned it back to the timing marks and loosened the upper sprocket bolt.
Then remove the tensioner, now remove the second bolt then the sprocket and then remove the inlet cam. Now remove the exhaust camshaft (rotate out on the chain) tie the chain up. When you loosen the caps about 1 mm they may need a few light taps to shift them off the dowels

Take a photograph of how the camchain side cam caps are fitted before removing them as it is easy to put them back on wrong

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2016, 09:17:34 pm »
hi unfazed...

so will have to stick the tensioner back in...

and as u say get the sprocket off...

have marked up both sprockets and the chain with tipex already, after the time i took my 600 to bits and did not even know what timing was etc, dont want to spend hours trying to line it up again!

thanks

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2016, 03:44:05 pm »
that worked well unfazed, thanks.

Decided to take the Head off and i can sort the old exhaust studs out, as well as do the AIS removal tapping etc...

lots of bits of grit in the head for some reason, not from the water pipes as i cleaned it all up with compressed air before removing the covers so dont think any grit has dropped in to the head, any idea what would cause that...

nothing appears to be worn either apart from surfaces you would expect, also none have gotten past the valve covers, so its just a pain cleaning up the head.

ta

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2016, 04:49:40 pm »
Unlike the 600 these are 8mm studs and much tougher.

Clean them up and check for deep corrosion then run a die on them the clean up the threads Coat them with Copper grease and they should be fine.

See no reason to disturb the head unless you have to