Date: 19-04-24  Time: 10:36 am

Author Topic: Temp non starter  (Read 4237 times)

TCLeics

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Temp non starter
« on: 09 September 2013, 12:47:25 am »
Twice, whilst out on a rideout with mates, my FZ6 acted strange? After pulling into a petrol station, the bike failed to re-start, with the red immobiliser light flashing, but then started. Later, after a refreshment stop, the same thing happened, but I noticed the temp gauge was at the top and the top 2 notches flashing, so assumed it had overheated. I also noticed 2 numbers in the left side of the readout, can't remember whether it was 51 or 52? Assuming it was overheat due to the temp gauge flashing, we left it a while, but still, it wouldn't start. After approx 20 mins, it eventually decided to start, looking on forums etc, it was suggesting interference from another immobiliser key? One of the riders has an FZ1, could his key have been cutting mine out, or does anyone know what happened? Thanks!

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Temp non starter
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2013, 02:08:35 am »
I would have thought that any other key would have to be hellish close (ie next to) your key to cause a problem.

Fault code 51 is "signal not received", Fault code 52 "Key not recognised". Beware, however, there is a "diagnostic code" 51 and 52 (DC's are different from FC's) Diag code 51 is cooling fan relay, D/code 52 headlamp relay.

TCLeics

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2013, 01:13:58 pm »
Went out yesterday on the bike, and 3 times it happened! Stranded, bike non starter Fault code is 51, which is cooler fan relay? Any ideas what could be wrong with it or where to look? Eventually started all times, but took 10 mins on some occasions, was worried about the battery going flat. 1st time, was from total cold start, bike from garage, not been used for 3 weeks, and wouldn't start, so it can't be a overheating problem. Any help gratefully received! Thanks.

TCLeics

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2013, 02:43:30 pm »
Just done the diag test on cooler fan, and it works ok so stummped here?

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2013, 07:34:41 pm »
According to my book, Fault Code 51 is "signal from key not received by immobiliser transceiver".

Possible causes: Interference from other keys / magnet
Faulty key transponder
Faulty immobiliser transceiver

Have you tried your spare key (is it possible your existing key could be damaged?)?

TCLeics

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2013, 08:30:06 pm »
Strange you should say that, cos I read 51 was key too somewhere, but have also seen it listed as fan relay. When it 1st happened, another Fazer was next to me and we thought his key had something to do with it. When it happened yesterday, I got my spare keys, even tried the red one, but non started the bike, but the a while later, it started. Even more confused now!

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2013, 09:40:25 pm »
Fault code 51 is key / immobiliser, but there ALSO a "Diagnostic code" 51, which is your cooling fan (and its relay).

Is your immobiliser light on your clocks flashing when it brings up code 51?
What state is your battery in?
FWIW, it's probably a good idea to check the wiring (esp near the headstock), and your fuses (loose / broken wires, corrosion etc), particularly the ignition switch / immobiliser receiver (they're next to each other).

TCLeics

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2013, 12:04:36 am »
Thanks Adie, see where the confusion is with the codes then, 51 shows on the screen, and the immobiliser light flashes, and temp gauge top bars flash. Battery is good, been on constant charge, odd bit of wiring has had mods, heated grips, alarm etc. It is very random this fault, but now putting me off going out incase I get stranded!

knoxy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2013, 04:37:06 pm »
Your battery's fucked!

TCLeics

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2013, 05:49:18 pm »
Thanks, but as the bike hadn't been used for 3 weeks, I'd had it on trickle charge, so was definitely fully charged, and it's happened before while out on a run, and stopping for fuel, so would have been charged then too.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2013, 09:01:26 pm »
How old is your battery? Batteries do age and lose the ability to hold a charge over time.
A dead / dying reg / rec is feasible too (bear in mind a knackered r/r can kill a battery with it).

TCLeics

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2013, 10:33:15 pm »
Not sure how old battery is, only had bike a year. When I connect to charger, it's always well charged, would be surprised if it was battery, cos done it even stopping off after a 100 mile trip.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 October 2013, 10:59:09 pm »
Might be worth getting a "load-test" done on your battery (load-testing is different from a voltage test), might be a good idea to check your charging system and reg/rec at the same time.

A mate had a problem with a Kawasaki ZX9R, which were showing weird symptoms (oil light flashing in sympathy with indicators amongst others).
What he told me, was he'd previously put the battery cables on the wrong way. What he neglected to mention was the battery was 7 years old...

Engine / fuel management systems can be extremely sensitive to voltage fluctuations from a dead / dying battery (many of these systems operate at 5V internally), with a safe "shutdown" mode if the battery can't keep up.

Have you a digital multimeter?

TCLeics

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 October 2013, 12:17:34 am »
I have a multimeter, not sure how to use it!

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 October 2013, 06:36:09 am »
might be completely wrong here?  but quite a while ago didnt someone on here have a very similar problem with the same model as yours?...and that turned out to be a badly corroded wire/connector to the ecu?...worth checking mabe?

TCLeics

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 October 2013, 05:35:04 pm »
Thanks, worth checking, does anyone know where the ECU concerned is located?