Date: 25-04-24  Time: 02:09 am

Author Topic: Anyone got a Kawasaki W650 / 800?  (Read 3884 times)

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Anyone got a Kawasaki W650 / 800?
« on: 23 November 2011, 04:39:50 pm »
Saw a picture of a W800 and have been day dreaming ever since. Are they good to ride or just gutless pretty-boys?

eddie

• FOC-U Lost Boy.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone got a Kawasaki W650 / 800?
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2011, 05:06:16 pm »
read an article  in  Bike magazine a while ago Frazer.. they rated it pretty good for a retro with handling... no fazer 600 tho...do a bit of googling for reviews

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2011, 09:07:15 pm »
A mate bought a W650 a couple of years ago and I picked it up for him and rode it back to my place before trailering it down to him in the south of France.  Looks and sounds like a Bonnie but starts first time every time, doesn't leak oil and just does everything you expect of it.  However riding it was a different matter.  Now maybe I've been spoilt by owning faired bikes but I had to stop every 40 mles or so on the way back to put my shoulders back into their sockets.  Sitting bolt upright, you are the air brake.

Fazerboy

• Smells like he's followed
    through
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Street Triple R
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2011, 12:00:21 pm »
A Friend has had one since new, think it's a 99 with newer mods it's done a few miles and still looks ok
It's a retro but reliable and cheaper than the new bonnie, it's not powerful which is a good thing as the brakes are not the best but having been following (not chasing) it's a nice comfy bike that goes around corners happily. he's been to france on it too !
Only thing is, he's a throwback to the fifties and insists on an open-face helmet (with white biggles scarf) and the turn-up jeans etc  :eek
Official Club Cripple

peejay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Bonneville
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2011, 10:14:57 pm »

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2011, 06:50:49 am »
I test rode a new hinckley bonnie and was pleasantly surprised at how it zipped along. Not powerful for sure by modern standards( especially next to a snorting speed triple ! ) , but not sluggish either.The w800 is claime dto be more " authentic"  ( lol) to the original bonnie ! Main diff seems to be silencer routing and big cam drive tunnel on 1 side. Many mags do purport it to be better than a hinckley bonnie...but TBH you dont buy bikes like these for their performance, but for how the bike makes u feel.So buy one based on such.
They are capable of touring too, so is not as mad a choice as it may seem. I know a couple with one who do the full camping / rallies thing on theirs...and they love it.