Date: 19-04-24  Time: 23:53 pm

Author Topic: not lookin forward to this  (Read 4614 times)

bluefaze

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
not lookin forward to this
« on: 22 November 2011, 05:12:07 pm »
got 400 mile ride from Bath to home, Paisley, on Friday, weather supposed to be crap  :\

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Re: not lookin forward to this
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2011, 05:44:17 pm »
Be OK if you take sacrifices to the Rain Gods. Not good if you have to do it at night time and it's Cats and Big Dogs.

Must remember though we are bikers and we do this mad pooh sometimes.

Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2011, 05:44:41 pm »
Good luck,
[smug mode] if it's any help I have a 3-4 minute walk home from work on friday lunchtime, no sorry I didn't think that would help... :) [/smug mode]
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

2old2boogie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2011, 05:52:56 pm »

Hope the heated grips are working! Don't be a hero, it gets too cold/wet pull over and take a break. Take spare (dry) gloves.
I live in my own little world. But it's ok, they know me here.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2011, 06:26:36 pm »
I find if im kitted up right and i settle in to a rythem i can actualy realy enjoy a ride in the rain.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2011, 06:32:56 pm »
I delivered a Harley Fat Boy from Peterborough to Paris a few weeks ago.  Apart from it being the most horrible thing I have ever ridden in my life, it pissed it down solid from just outside Calais all the way to Paris.  I thought my gear was waterproof but with rain that hard it came through everywhere.  It's never felt as nice to put dry clothes on ready to get on a plane to fly back home again.....

But in a perverse sort of way, I still enjoyed it.........

b3tarev3

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Betarev3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2011, 07:54:00 pm »
Pity you're not heading that way today as the weather was simply gorgeous all the way up there today!!!  :b

Gordo

• Sausage Pocket&FOC-U Arsonist
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
    • Gordo's Blog
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2011, 09:11:14 pm »
Some of my best rides have been in the rain - clear, freshly washed roads, warm waterproof kit... lovely.

I did a similar ride in reverse in February and did it non-stop but for petrol and a short meal-break at the border.

fazerboy1969

• DAS Born Again
  • shabba!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2011, 09:31:21 pm »
We got caught in a biblical downpour on the 28 aug over the bristol chanel to portsmouth.soaked wet thru,two bikes died to electrical problems,20 mph on motorway,missed 11pm sailing by two mins....happy days  :'(
Loads of bikes owned...but my fazer 600 and thou were and are the best ive owned

oldmotherfoccer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • WWW.FATMAGGOT.COM
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2011, 09:44:31 pm »
however good you think your gloves are, pop into the petrol station and put a pair of the diesel plastic gloves on UNDER your leather gloves, lovely and toastie hands on the way home
Fat Maggot Clothing Company - remember FOCU15 to claim your foccers discount

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2011, 10:46:32 pm »
What are you talking about the long range is showing good dry weather. :)
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2011, 10:52:29 pm »
however good you think your gloves are, pop into the petrol station and put a pair of the diesel plastic gloves on UNDER your leather gloves, lovely and toastie hands on the way home
I'll second that although I used the Nitrile ones that mechanics use to keep their hands clean.  I think I saw it mentioned on here so put a couple of pairs in my jacket pocket.  Stopped and put them on under my leather gloves as soon as the first spots of rain appeared.  It doesn't matter how wet your gloves get, your hands will stay dry and warm.

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC
    • View Profile
    • a two wheeled charity ride without engines
« Reply #12 on: 23 November 2011, 01:25:35 am »
if you can, put another pair over the top too.

and if you have a thin neoprene neck tube/balaclava, wear that and have the bottom edge over/outside your jacket collar to shed the water from your lid away from your neck.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 November 2011, 07:45:53 am »
dont think any ride will rival switzerland this year. Rain, fog , ice, driving blizzard snow..yes , July!...my kit was sodden, my hands frozen,especially my up till now waterproof boots which were full of water. 7 hours , 300 miles ( across country, no motorways) was an epic , but one I dont want to repeat.The route de cretes was as bad....just a total foggy downpour.
My advice is stick to motorway, and stop at every service station to warm up. The inner gloves is a good idea, as is too putting yer feet in bin bags inside the boots. A bin bag taped over the boot  works too. At some point any leather leaks.
I know for future summer tours, my wet weather gear will be upgraded. and heated grips fitted !   lol

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 November 2011, 08:41:20 am »
done 350 ish miles from Redruth in Cornwall back to Liverpool when I got the new bike, was layered up in civvy clothing (couldn't manage real bike kit.... long story) and had every type of weather bar fog. as soon as I hit Bodmin moor my legs were cold and it worked its way upwards all the way to my eyes!!
after many stops and cups of tea later, I managed to get home with the onset of hypothermia.....no joke!
if it wasn't for the heated grips I'd have been in the mire big time, wish I'd know about plastic/nitrile gloves then coz I'd have done a Blue Peter job and stuck them all together and made a T shirt outta them lol
in a perverse way I'm glad I did it but I learned that you need the right kit at all times otherwise you'll get caught out, best gear I bought was a windproof balaclava and an Aldi windproof shirt, I can't recommend windproof kit enough and have applied this to my cycling kit and civvy kit
fire never sleeps

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 November 2011, 06:47:42 pm »
And after all that you'll do 2/3 of your journey in sunshine and some showers further north you go :D  not to bad
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

fazed600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki GSXR1000 K7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 November 2011, 09:13:23 pm »
I've got a ride home from Bath on Friday as well - all 13 miles of it! Weather looks ok though, at least at the Bath end....

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 November 2011, 09:14:46 am »
I got caught out when it was hammering it down before I set off from work in summer gear, thankfully I had some waterproof trousers under my seat but had to make a poncho out of a bin bag, cling film my arm (ran out after one arm) and put nitrile gloves over my leather ones. Now have a set of emergency waterproofs and nitriles under my seat just in case.
thou shalt not kick

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #18 on: 25 November 2011, 10:42:01 am »
done 350 ish miles from Redruth in Cornwall back to Liverpool when I got the new bike, was layered up in civvy clothing (couldn't manage real bike kit.... long story) and had every type of weather bar fog. as soon as I hit Bodmin moor my legs were cold and it worked its way upwards all the way to my eyes!!

Bodmins always the same!!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 November 2011, 10:54:59 am »
I wonder if he made it?

bluefaze

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 December 2011, 02:52:56 pm »
hi guys, and galls omf. well made it home ok. was lovely an sunny till i hit birmingham, small shower so thought i'd put waterproofs on, just in case. Good decision it pished down all the way home. As for wind, bloody hell never stopped blowin. As some of you guys said, kind of weird but i did enjoy the run. Only stopped for petrol an a cup of tea. seven hours in all, but glad to be home :)

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 December 2011, 09:41:13 pm »
Memorable run back from the gathering in Glencoe a few years ago...Biblical rain and myself and Dennis (Wits) ploughing through the gloom just passing Motherwell...out of the spray appears a white plastic bucket blowing across the lane...Not sure but I think Dennis kicked it! By the time we had errr made progress through the borders the rain had eased up and it was almost dry when he peeled off at Bolton???...last time I saw him and maybe a strange portent the kicking the bucket thing. Great fun ride down to Portsmouth I think it was about 8hrs
The Frying Scotsman