Date: 19-04-24  Time: 16:18 pm

Author Topic: Bennets  (Read 9419 times)

SlasherFF

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Kwak Versys 650
    • View Profile
Bennets
« on: 17 November 2011, 08:06:28 pm »

Rehab

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Bennets
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2011, 08:20:23 pm »
Haha, Ruined!

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2011, 08:46:02 pm »
Never liked them anyway.

Can't believe they think these things, idiots!

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2011, 10:34:09 pm »
Think they just went out of the bike insurance business.
'Just to confirm, multiple stickers are classed as one modification and not individual modifications as you may have read.'
Apparently a couple of stickers, a crash bung and heated grips means your bike insurable. These people have never seen a bike never mind having one. 

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2011, 02:29:36 am »
WTF??

April the 1st is a long way away...!

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #5 on: 18 November 2011, 08:36:26 am »
I used Bennetts once a few years ago and had my credit card scammed for the privilage  :thumbdown used twice @ Sainsburys home delivery in Coventry, I to them from changed from MCE when they sneaked a clause on my renewal policy stating if the bike wasn't garaged at the home address then it wasn't insured which they finally admitted after an hour of arguing on the phone that it applied 24hrs a day not just at night so I told them they could  :foc .

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 18 November 2011, 09:53:28 am »
Aren't bennets just brokers though?

I had issues in the past with one of the brokers that insited that the bike could not be left outside the house at all even to dry off after being washed in the middle of the day. They got told to foc off too!
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 November 2011, 10:04:27 am »
Holy shit, even my old Fazer would be uninsurable..

Individual letters spelling w w w . f o c - u . c o . u k

Not to mention,
Double bubble screen (fitted from new)
Rear Hugger (fitted from new)
Meta alarm (fitted from new)
ScotOiler (fitted from new)
BT010/020 f/r tyres
engine bars (fitted from new)
Givi wing rack & top box
headlight modification (so I could see more than 10 ft in the dark)

These aren't exactly high performance mods, most of them are for additional safety.

If anyone is going to the NEC please could they record some of the feedback at the Bennets' stand and post it on here!

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 November 2011, 11:14:40 am »
I'd be completely stuffed

Belly pan
Heated grips
Rear hugger
Front mudguard extender
Non-standard tyres (well, they're not the original ones so must be non-standard)
Scottoiler
Datatool alarm (which has been modified with a blue LED instead of the original red one because the wire broke off and I didn't have a red one to replace it with)
crash bungs
Lazer alloy can
Non-standard fork dust seals (because they were cheaper than the genuine article)
Headlight mod
Rusty downpipes (I assume they weren't rusty when it was new so that must be a modification from standard.....)
Non-folding mirror because I broke it and mended it by bolting it together solidly

and the screws holding the chainguard on don't look original either..........

Suppose I ought to check with Swinton and see if they consider any of these to be worth mentioning as I think I foolishly told them it was standard when I insured it.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 November 2011, 11:35:47 am »
Just phoned Swinton and admitted that I have a few undeclared modifications, they didn't know the answer so they called Equity Red Star who are the actual insurers.  Seems they are aware of the Bennetts situation and are getting quite a few phone calls at the moment.  All of the mods are perfectly acceptable and would not attract a higher premium although if the bike was nicked they would only pay out the cost of a standard one rather than one that has had the extra bits fitted (although if I was replacing a series 1 Fazer I doubt I could find one without the odd extra).  The only mods that would put the price up are ones that make it go faster or more attractive to a thief.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 November 2011, 08:24:49 pm »
Read about Bennetts new requirements in this weeks MCNews. They obviously dont want the business. Where does this stop?
What about car insurance-I suppose they would argue that non factory fitted rubber floor mats were a performance enhancer!
I have just reinsured my Gen 1 Fazer thou and car with Carole Nash on a 6-wheel policy-saved a fortune on the car and the bike was a fair price. I declared all the non-standard stuff like bellypan,hugger, end can,braided hoses etc-they werent bothered at all as none of these things alter the performance very much.I am going to the NEC on Sunday & will try to find out what Bennetts have to say for themselves! Its a bl**dy crazy world out there! Still foc-em!

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 November 2011, 12:34:26 am »
Come on guys, every body knows that a sticker gives you at least 5 bhp. You can't really complain. :rollin :rollin :rollin
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #12 on: 19 November 2011, 10:56:59 am »
Come on guys, every body knows that a sticker gives you at least 5 bhp. You can't really complain. :rollin :rollin :rollin
Where can I buy 30 of these stickers? Do they come from the same place that can add 3" to my cock? I'm sold!
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

Gordo

• Sausage Pocket&FOC-U Arsonist
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
    • Gordo's Blog
« Reply #13 on: 22 November 2011, 06:24:06 pm »
For info, Bennetts is a trading name of BISL Ltd and they sell home and car insurance too under a variety of names including RAC, Budget, M&S, HSBC, Bradford & Bingley, Post Office, Lloyds Banking Group and Compare the Market.

Might be worth checking whether too many pictures on the wall makes your house uninsurable too - or painting it something other than magnolia.

http://www.bglgroup.co.uk/about/brands_and_products.php

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 November 2011, 07:54:54 am »
I have used both Hastings and E bike in last few years. Both accepted all my fazer mods with no change to premium. But its worth watching out for. I only noticed last night my ISP had increased my monthly fee by £6 a month without telling me. Thats the problem with paperless billing. Its easy not to spot changes ! I am now looking for a new ISP. I do think companies are getting sly and way less customer friendly. On a plus point I have received an email from British Gas claiming they want to right all the bad press...but stop short of doing the very thing we all complain about ...the high price of gas ! Its horseshit aint it !

nettshubby

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 November 2011, 09:42:10 pm »
When did this latest farce start? If it`s after July when my bike was insured by Bennets, sureley it doesn`t apply to my bike?
Heated grips, Viper can, hugger, wavy discs (3), tank pad, Givi rack and pannier frames, billet adjustable levers, tyre stripes, different tyres!!

Ray.(Er.... I mean Fred)

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 November 2011, 09:59:16 pm »
When did this latest farce start? If it`s after July when my bike was insured by
Bennets, sureley it doesn`t apply to my bike?
Heated grips, Viper can,
hugger, wavy discs (3), tank pad, Givi rack and pannier frames, billet
adjustable levers, tyre stripes, different tyres!!

Ray.(Er.... I mean  Uninsured Fred)

Gordo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
    • Gordo's Blog
« Reply #17 on: 24 November 2011, 10:18:32 pm »
When did this latest farce start? If it`s after July when my bike was insured by Bennets, sureley it doesn`t apply to my bike?
Heated grips, Viper can, hugger, wavy discs (3), tank pad, Givi rack and pannier frames, billet adjustable levers, tyre stripes, different tyres!!

Ray.(Er.... I mean Fred)
Did you tell the insurer (or broker) about them when you took out the policy? If you did, then no problem. If you didn't, you might find yourself in difficulties if you need to make a claim.

Insurance works on the principle of "utmost good faith": i.e. you tell the insurers exactly what you want to insure, and the insurer will write a policy to cover what you told them. If you deliberately don't tell them something, then they are within their rights to cancel the policy or avoid the claim.

Most accessories or modifications have little or no effect on the premium - my insurer has covered all the accessories and mods to my bike, on a full replacement value basis, for no extra premium. All the accessories and the declared value are shown in my paperwork - if it's there, it's insured, if it isn't, it isn't.

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 November 2011, 10:59:37 pm »
But when you go to compare the meerkat it doesnt ask you questions like that.... they dont even ask about medical problems- I insure my son to ride my bike and he is diabetic and there is nowhere on the form to put that so where you would put multiple stickers and sticky nuts I dont know. As for my iridium visor................................................................... :evil
59 going on 57

Gordo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
    • Gordo's Blog
« Reply #19 on: 26 November 2011, 03:14:00 pm »
If you read the terms and conditions, the quotation offered is subject to you contacting the relevant insurer and confirming the exact details.

IME, most of the prices given on the comparison sites are pure works of fiction.

taksi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 November 2011, 10:11:42 pm »
In this weeks letters page of MCN the Associate Director has replied by saying "In response to customer feedback we agree that the number of modifications that Bennets can currently cater for needs increasing beyond three. We are actively working on a solution for this"
Sounds like the customer feedback was VERY LOUD!!!
He then witters on about common sense (where's theirs) and no industry standards.
My FZ1 has full fairings,full Akrapovic, Meta alarm, tail tidy, double bubble, crash bungs, heated grips, Givi top box and panniers, Scottoiler, huggerand sat nav brackets. I'm with Carole Nash and have been with MCE in the past and neither of these companies had any difficulties insuring my bike with these extras. I wonder if Smartwater counts as an extra?

Taksi
Taksi

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 November 2011, 10:27:46 pm »
http://www.bennetts.co.uk/bike-insurance/our-modification-policy/

This explains what is counted and what isnt- I had forgotten things like radiator guard that I have and would never have considered this as a modification- just something to protect my radiator from stones

They say this is the same for all insurers

I will be more careful next renewal and sit next to the bike for an hour or so trying to remember what I have doen to it but as has been said elsewhere- when you buy a second hand bike how do you know all the little tweaks that were done before you brought it in good faith

A K&N airfilter is supposed to be a perfomance enhancing modification now- I thought it just saved you keep on replacing the damn thing
59 going on 57

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 November 2011, 09:33:43 am »
You could look at it another way. Bennetts are being open and up front about things that could effect your continuation of cover when you most need it and are being slagged off for it?
An insurer makes it's premium based on how the bike comes out of the factory, which is fair enough. So if you start on adding bits and pieces, which soon can mount up to a tidy sum, their risk increases so they must increase the premium, surely?

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 November 2011, 09:27:14 pm »
I am sure you are right Locksmith and the Bennets clarification helps by knowing that they only want to know what you have doen in the 'cosmetic' improvements but a belly pan? How on earth does that improve performance?
59 going on 57

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 November 2011, 10:02:47 pm »
The belly pan is probably be because it makes the bike more attractive to a thief.