Date: 16-04-24  Time: 14:14 pm

Author Topic: Cam Chain Tool  (Read 1372 times)

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
Cam Chain Tool
« on: 17 July 2013, 03:31:57 pm »
Been trying to find an old post about a good tool for riveting a new cam chain -never needed one in the past I've been fortunate enough to have the guides on the 'outside' of bikes not slap down the middle! Anyway I've now given up with the search so what does everyone recommend?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Cam Chain Tool
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2013, 08:13:46 pm »
Heyup. For anyone that has riveted a cam chain what tool did you use and could you put up a link to it if possible? Are the only options a small hammer or a punch?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2013, 09:03:31 pm »
i bought a drive chain splitter/riveter last year and am sure it came with different sized pins for cam chains,quality oxford tool,will dig it out at the weekend and have a look  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2013, 11:39:11 pm »
Heyup. For anyone that has riveted a cam chain what tool did you use and could you put up a link to it if possible? Are the only options a small hammer or a punch?
All the chain tools seem to be for the soft links with a hole in the centre of the rivit to splay out.
The camchain links do not have the hole in the rivit centre just a solid rivit and require a different method to peen the ends of the rivits.
The only succesfull methods I have seen to date are the two hammer method or hammer and shaped punch.
The Whale brand  riviter is more like what is required but that is to large for cam chains

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2013, 09:37:04 am »
There is one called a quad stake made by motion pro. But it's for riveting solid link drive chains and someone commented on here that it might be too large for a cam chain.