Date: 25-04-24  Time: 13:20 pm

Author Topic: specticle wearers  (Read 9282 times)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: specticle wearers
« Reply #25 on: 20 March 2013, 12:34:54 pm »
When I first got  a lid, I solved this by wearing the helmet a little bit every evening to break it in
  :lol  And stayed indoors I hope ?
« Last Edit: 20 March 2013, 12:35:30 pm by mtread »

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 March 2013, 02:36:57 pm »
When I first got  a lid, I solved this by wearing the helmet a little bit every evening to break it in
  :lol  And stayed indoors I hope ?

Yeah, until I forgot to take it off, and walked into the communal kitchen in my helmet, dressing gown and tartan slippers!!  :lol :lol
The Deef's apprentice

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 March 2013, 02:50:13 pm »
I wear glasses on the bike but my eyes are not so bad that i can do without them. Ive got an all singing pair of varifocals that go dark when it sunny, anyone remember sunny?. They work well as i can see the clocks and up ahead not sure about mirrors as i keep forgetting about them. they are crap in the cold and wet as they fog up so i dont use them then. wonder if i can get a pair with pinlocks?
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 March 2013, 05:16:22 pm »
I wear glasses with my helmet and as long as you can get the arms to seat over your ears properly you shouldn't have any trouble. Mirroring the comments about thin arms - it's definitely the best option but if the material is quite thin expect them to bend :P This is both a good and bad thing as it allows them to be flexible but can also deteriorate them over time. My sun glasses (non-prescription) have very thin arms and are so easy to get on in my helmet but they are on their last legs

Contacts are a very good option if you haven't worn glasses before as it takes a bit getting used to looking through the glass rather than at it haha - I would say that wearing contacts all day can make your eyes dry even when not on a bike in the wind so if its a very long day I would probably suggest glasses. Contacts are good for about 8 hours for me at which point they ideally need to be removed - any longer and the dryness causes me to blink something crazy and eventually my eyes begin to water (the irony) and can force the contacts out (severe circumstance)

End of essay.

Jacko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 March 2013, 01:21:55 pm »
Never had an issue with various helmets.
Fogging is a proper pain if not prepared.

I remember being a little nauseas at first as I could see below them and the ground
seemed to move at different rates to everything else. Also used to slam my foot down as
ground seemed further away.
Sent from my pants - using talkingbollocks

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 22 March 2013, 02:50:59 pm »
Never had an issue with various helmets.
Fogging is a proper pain if not prepared.

I remember being a little nauseas at first as I could see below them and the ground
seemed to move at different rates to everything else. Also used to slam my foot down as
ground seemed further away.

Haha, I remember doing all of those things as well!

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 22 March 2013, 05:43:33 pm »
I wear Oakley Flack Jacket's that I have not had a problem with any helmets, Arai and Shoie. You need to know your prescription if your opticians don't deal in Oakley and do a search on goggle. They are not cheep but the best I have ever had for riding.
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22 March 2013, 08:45:57 pm »
I wear Oakley Flack Jacket's that I have not had a problem with any helmets, Arai and Shoie. You need to know your prescription if your opticians don't deal in Oakley and do a search on goggle. They are not cheep but the best I have ever had for riding.

ah......was flicking through the hein gerreck book today and came accross something simular........i pick my new glasses up next saturday so will give them a try first ,but i think i will buy another pair just for riding not varifocals without the hook for my ears....will mean having to carry my reading glasses but a small price to pay :) possibly some big lens ones so i cant see around them  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25 March 2013, 10:48:50 pm »
Always worn glasses or contacts and prefer contacts obviously but wear glasses at least once a week as I can't leave contacts in all day and then wear them out on a Friday night.

Bob Heath's stops the misting, apply to both visor and glasses and all clear all day long.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 30 March 2013, 08:58:45 am »
todays the day i pick up my new specs......two weeks of struggling with my old reading glasses has not been easy at times leading to many headaches  :\ ......i have trouble reading the speedo when on the bike all the numbers look the same   88, as iam leading the april london foccers ride out next week thought it best to get sorted  :lol :lol :lol :lol   

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 30 March 2013, 02:06:28 pm »
Dont forget ur hi viz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 30 March 2013, 03:12:31 pm »
todays the day i pick up my new specs......two weeks of struggling with my old reading glasses has not been easy at times leading to many headaches  :\ ......i have trouble reading the speedo when on the bike all the numbers look the same   88, as iam leading the april london foccers ride out next week thought it best to get sorted  :lol :lol :lol :lol   

Red98 what did you go for in the end and how have you found them?

Daz

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 30 March 2013, 05:21:29 pm »

Red98 what did you go for in the end and how have you found them?

[size=78%] [/size]
Daz

hi daz.........well i went for two pairs in the end...vari-focals for driving/riding and every day use inc reading and some straight reading glasses

[size=78%] picked up the vari-focals this morning but reading glasses not ready yet,every day vison has improved greatly but its a bit tricky to read with them,ive got to give it a bit more time to get used to them,the reading part of the lens seams very narrow at moment but early days [/size]

[size=78%]went out on the bike this afternoon took the specs with me but didnt use them,no need,the only problem i have when on the bike is seeing the speedo but could see the digits ok today...used in the car and there was a vast improvement ,not tried the anti glare yet,will try tonight after dark,use to struggle with headlights and street lamps before so looking forward to that[/size]
[size=78%] i need to try when iam on the bike but iam a bit unsure about the vari-focals untill iam use to them at moment iam thinking of changing to normal without the vari bit just for use on the bike,spec savers said they could help with glasses that are helmet friendly,so nice to have a plan to fall back on [/size] :) [size=78%]     [/size]

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 06 April 2013, 02:13:13 pm »
went to specsavers again today to pick-up my reading only glasses,girl who was fitting them for me is a biker aswell and asked if i had tryed contact lenses on the bike as thats what she uses......so after a natter mostly about bikes she has fixed me up with a free trial......now,..........IF CARLSBERG MADE PEOPLE THEY WOULD BE BIKERS.........test fitting on the 27th  :D

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 06 April 2013, 10:10:21 pm »
went to specsavers again today to pick-up my reading only glasses,girl who was fitting them for me is a biker aswell and asked if i had tryed contact lenses on the bike as thats what she uses......so after a natter mostly about bikes she has fixed me up with a free trial......now,..........IF CARLSBERG MADE PEOPLE THEY WOULD BE BIKERS.........test fitting on the 27th  :D

Fell lucky there mate  :thumbup . I have got lazy so now wear my flip up and forget I have glasses on. I have got so use to wearing them that when I is full faced its a slight tug on the lugs as the glassess start to compaline.

Daz

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 06 April 2013, 11:03:16 pm »
could be a good solution for me,a free trial so nothing to loose  ;)

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
Re: spectacle wearers
« Reply #41 on: 07 April 2013, 06:55:29 am »
 :\   I'd go very easy at Specsavers guys ... as always there are the bad experience story sides to these 'wonderful service' people .. and I have mine !!

Long term customer .. booked in .. had eye test .. told I needed a 'considerable update' on my prescription (only two years since last test) because I am 'Getting on a bit in years'' now .. Sat with the bird to decide Frames .. so far OK.

Then she shifts into 'Time Share Selling' mode .. top button open and lean forward .. repeated chat starting with ''What I can do for you, Trev''  First quote for a pair of new gasses and a 'free' pair ...  £750 !! Yes that's £750.00. 

As I got up to walk out and she started all over again .. take note how they sit close up and side on to you and use a pen and paper (not the computer)  This is so you can see how they look around to check no-one is watching  :rolleyes  and gradually cross things out off the spec list .. to bring the final price down!  :rolleyes

We go down through .. £475 .. £350 .. £250 .. but by then it's .. ''Sorry but no 'free' pair at this level Trev''.  Total rip- off tactics .. just taking the p*** .   Then eventually we got into the.. ''Ok Trev, I can do you a Special Deal for OAPs'' bollox .. bit bloody late for that line now girl!   

At the final answer curtain .. she wrote '''Cheeky Chappy'' across my paperwork in Big Red Letters (maybe so I could read it) and threw the pen at the PC!  :'(    A clear indication (as far as I could see anyway  :\ ) that she was getting well beyond p***** off about Not getting her commission!  :(

I then had their prescription checked by a different optician .. new eye test came up with nothing like what they had said I needed and .. over three years on .. my ''poor old eyes'' are still not as bad as they said!  Avoid is the word as far as I'm concerned.

I got another new test and prescription pair of Varifocals on-line this year .. modern frames and delivered all in for £90  :)  with an option of a second pair at reduced cost (but only if I wanted them).   I wear them 24/7 (when I'm not asleep like) no problems at all.

Proceed with utmost caution guys .. shop around like you were buying Insurance  8)   £$€

Stay Safe  ;)  Trev

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 07 April 2013, 07:45:16 am »
morning trev,thanks for the warning and sharing the story with us....my bill for a pair of varifocals and a pair of reading glasses £258  more than i wanted to pay,but i say that about everything lately  :rolleyes ...good service and double checked at hospital (stoke mandeville) iam happy with the glasses and interested to see how i get on with the contact lenses.............your right about shopping around,i do that for everything  ;)

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
Re: spectacle wearers
« Reply #43 on: 07 April 2013, 12:49:58 pm »
 :)   I think there are times when you can't have .. ''Too Much Information'' .. glad you enjoyed the 'Life and Times' type tale.

I've no doubt there are good and bad in all trades .. so you might just drop lucky with the contacts .. I hope so.  8)

Stay Safe  ;)  ... Trev

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 08 April 2013, 12:36:30 pm »
I use Specsavers and the one I used in Bradley Stoke (Bristol) were faultless. Needed new glasses (I knew I needed them as my sight was getting worse) and had my eye test and got two new pairs including frames for £89 - test ended up being free as well but I forget why...

I started my trial of contact lenses as well which gave me another free test 6 months later as I did start these. I've since stopped my contact lenses since I don't use them as much anymore. I used to work in retail so wore them all day for 4 - 7 days a week (depending) but now I sit in front of my PC all day and they make my eyes dry and irritable so can't use them. I have a 6 month backlog of contact lenses to use now which I use for when I'm out on my bike. Should last me another year or two I expect, though this isn't how you are supposed to use them haha

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 08 April 2013, 02:58:21 pm »
I tried contacts, but never got the hang of sticking my finger into my own eye!
The Deef's apprentice

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 08 April 2013, 03:21:21 pm »
think i`ll be ok at poking my own eye,its when other people do it that winds me up  :lol

the only down side for me is the extra cost of a disposible item.......not very green unlike putting a gallon of un-leaded in you bike and burning it just for the hell of it  :rollin :rollin

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #47 on: 09 April 2013, 12:40:21 am »
the only down side for me is the extra cost of a disposible item.......

I wear RGP (Rigid Gas Permeable) contact lenses and I've had this pair for at least a couple of years now, they cost me about £75 (I think) which is a hell of a lot cheaper than daily disposables.

I do have to go through the hassle of cleaning them every morning before I put them in, but that's only a minor nuisance and one I'm so used to I don't even think about it.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 09 April 2013, 12:43:08 am »
That's not actually bad considering mine are monthly disposables and cost £15.50 a month - but to be fair, I do have an odd shaped left eye apparently which put the price up :(

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #49 on: 09 April 2013, 12:54:33 am »
That's not actually bad considering mine are monthly disposables and cost £15.50 a month - but to be fair, I do have an odd shaped left eye apparently which put the price up :(

Given my prescription ( -10 and -11 dioptres and astigmatism!!) it was, certainly in the past, impossible to get soft lenses to correct it and although they may be available now, it's still cheaper to keep with the RGPs.