Date: 19-04-24  Time: 14:55 pm

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1595705 times)

FazThou

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #8700 on: 26 August 2021, 09:01:33 pm »
Sounds like a nice ride red...... apart from the rain

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #8701 on: 26 August 2021, 10:41:45 pm »
Sounds nice, but didn't you pass a *single* place with an English Heritage Blue Plaque on...?

Next picture challenge is "Your bike parked in front of a 'Please don't park in front of the gate' sign"  :rollin
« Last Edit: 26 August 2021, 10:43:24 pm by mtread »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8702 on: 27 August 2021, 07:21:58 am »
well spotted MTREAD....Had to get the picture though. ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8703 on: 27 August 2021, 08:51:13 am »
Nice ride Mr.Red :thumbup . Good pics too :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8704 on: 27 August 2021, 11:56:19 am »
Cheers FazThou...Checked the forcast before i left and there was a 2% chance of rain so i guess i was just unlucky, did`nt spoil the day though  :thumbup

Cheers ROBBO...First full days riding i`ve had in a long time, took me 2.5 hours too walk Spurn Head, could of done with a bit more time to explore, but still a great day  :thumbup

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8705 on: 27 August 2021, 05:11:19 pm »
New tyres fitted today in readiness for trip to Spain early in September. Rear didn’t need changing, so that’s in the loft, no doubt to go on the Triumph when that rear wears out. Just thought how much nicer a bike feels when riding on new tyres. By comparing the depth of the new and the partly worn one, the wear rate equated to roughly 1mm/1000 miles, which I’m quite happy with. Gave the chain a small adjust, and the callipers/pistons got a clean and a dab of rubber grease, new pads ordered as fronts were lowish, more for peace of mind than anything else, and not keen on having too much piston exposed from the calliper. Only done 17k miles mind, and Yamaha certainly know how to charge for genuine replacements, but only wanted genuine. If the weather stays fine will be taking a look at Choppers Cafe just south of Marlborough on Monday, so that should get the new rubber scrubbed in.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8706 on: 30 August 2021, 07:00:37 pm »
Well, the new tyres should consider themselves scrubbed in, having had 268 of our lovely English miles put on them today. Did a round trip of four caffs today, starting off with a cuppa at the Chalet, then a whizz down the A272 to the Haven, not far from Salisbury for breakfast, before visiting Choppers Cafe just south of Marlborough. Then, backtracked to Loomies, before an almost perfect rip back up the 272 to Cowfold, before heading north and home. Will have some fresh front pads to fit in a few days, then should be all set for my trip to Spain.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8707 on: 31 August 2021, 08:39:11 am »
A well overdue clean and oil of the mighty thou's K+N air filter

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8708 on: 06 September 2021, 09:55:02 pm »
New front pads turned up today, so got them fitted and changed the fluid. The new pad material(genuine Yamaha) was 5mm thick, so the “old” pads were only half worn after 17k miles, so they’re in the spares cupboard now. Also made an adaptor plate to fit a cheap £10 20 litre backbox , which will be handy for waterproofs, spare gloves etc, in readiness for my Aragon GP trip, leaving on Thursday. Will try and post a few pics along the way, but as there’s nine of us, there might not be much time.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8709 on: 07 September 2021, 05:08:20 pm »
Another day on the mighty thou...This time i went south to Portland bill...never get bored with this view.

« Last Edit: 07 September 2021, 05:09:50 pm by red98 »

FazThou

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8710 on: 07 September 2021, 05:32:58 pm »
Fantastic view that Red

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8711 on: 09 September 2021, 09:23:25 pm »
Re-fitted the road stuff back onto the bike after yesterdays trackday at Donington, last one of the year for me, that's five this year. Didn't realise till today how hard the front tyre had been worked too. Blisteringly hot day though, fine in the morning but oppressive in the afternoon and too knackered for the final session.

FazThou

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8712 on: 10 September 2021, 04:14:56 pm »
By the looks of that i would say alot of fun was had :)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8713 on: 10 September 2021, 08:33:56 pm »
By the looks of that i would say alot of fun was had :)

Oh yes, I can have a hoot with less than 100bhp  :D

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8714 on: 10 September 2021, 09:28:23 pm »
Gave it a good wash (something I should have done a couple of weeks ago when I came back from my surfing holiday since the campsite overlooks the beach!)

Then, since I've finally managed to get all the junk out of the shed, started working out where to put the turntable I'm going to use.

I've already found that I need to get some grip tape to put on the metal plate that the centre stand will sit on so the stand "feet" don't slip around

Also I probably need to drill a couple of holes in the plate and the floor of the shed, one will be in the centre of the plate to stop the whole assembly sliding around and the other will be a "locking pin" that will stop it rotating when I'm trying to put the bike onto it.

Still, I did manage to work out the position I wanted the turntable in the shed and, once I got the bike in place, it pivoted very nicely and will make riding in and riding out a breeze, instead of having to push it back and forth to get through the old narrow door!

PureBob

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8715 on: 11 September 2021, 05:24:32 pm »
I went to look at topboxes after I fitted the rack and plate last night. I didnt look at any topboxes and I did 98 pointless miles just enjoying temperate weather and empty roads around Shropshire.
My taint was mercifully undestroyed, which after 3 years with a W800 was a pleasant surprise :)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8716 on: 11 September 2021, 08:24:38 pm »
Not actually working on the bike, but spent a noisy (earplugs in) afternoon trying to get a drill bit (part of a set I got from a Jet station years ago) through the 3mm or so thick metal plate that I'm using as the top for my turntable and then finding that the poundland two-part epoxy I used to stick the two parts together hadn't held properly.

So I ended up having to dash up to Toolstation to get some decent Araldite, then using the Dremel to grind the old glue off so I could re-stick it.

I really have to invest in some better drill bits!

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8717 on: 11 September 2021, 10:07:46 pm »
I really have to invest in some better drill bits!
Buy the most expensive ones you can afford.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8718 on: 12 September 2021, 07:25:59 am »
Fantastic view that Red

Hi FazThou....Yes, Fantastic view. Dont think you can beat it in England, Not the best picture i was intending to get my bike in the shot but lots of tourists getting in the way of the perfect picture...gives me an excuse to go back though  ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8719 on: 12 September 2021, 07:35:12 am »
Finally got round to fitting a 4 degree ignition advancer to the mighty thou, been sat in the garage for years  :o ..time well spent i think. bike seams smoother and starts better. not so noticeable with the standard silencer but with my scorpion can on its much better. non ivanised bike i think but ive never checked....Off to the cotswolds today to give it a good test run... :)
« Last Edit: 12 September 2021, 07:37:23 am by red98 »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8720 on: 12 September 2021, 10:16:21 am »
Finally got round to fitting a 4 degree ignition advancer to the mighty thou, been sat in the garage for years  :o ..time well spent i think. bike seams smoother and starts better.

I got one of these for my FZ6 and it definitely made a difference, although I had to tweak the idle and rebalance the throttle bodies after installation :thumbup

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8721 on: 12 September 2021, 03:00:49 pm »
This is what I finished off today :thumbup

https://youtu.be/jR4Yl8n6lf0

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8722 on: 12 September 2021, 03:40:08 pm »
That seams to work well GRAHAMM...Could you sink it into the floor to help putting the bike on the centre stand ?...

next job....garage walls  :thumbup

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8723 on: 12 September 2021, 07:07:14 pm »
out exploring the Cotswolds today. dropping in on Diddly Squat Farm, Blaze Inn Saddles and The Pig Place. A good day with another 150 ish miles clocked up on The Mighty Thou  :)
« Last Edit: 12 September 2021, 07:28:18 pm by red98 »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8724 on: 12 September 2021, 09:31:03 pm »
That seams to work well GRAHAMM...Could you sink it into the floor to help putting the bike on the centre stand ?...

That's definitely a possibility that I was thinking about when I first had the idea, although the floor is on a bit of a slope which might make it a little trickier.

First thing is to put some grip tape on the metal plate to stop the stand slipping. That was one of the reasons for the edited section as well as a bit of checking and re-checking to see exactly how I needed to line the bike up to get the stand central to the plate.

I finally worked out that, if I got the bottom of the rear tyre on the back edge of the plate, the centre stand would be correctly placed.

I'm going to see how I get on with it, although it's a bit of a struggle as you can see and that was with a virtually empty tank. If I've got another 15 litres of fuel in there, it's going to be interesting getting it up on the stand...

next job....garage walls  :thumbup

If you look at the left hand side, that wall did extend all the way across with a door in the middle, but the door frame had dropped and, with the slope of the floor, when the door opened inwards, it would bottom out and jam unless I gave it a bit of subtle help with my boot!

When the patio was done recently, there wasn't enough space to get the mini digger through the door and, since the wood of the wall was rotten, I just hacked most of it out and got the Acrow prop to hold up the roof.

I'm going to put in a metal framed door which will open outwards and build a framework to take Perspex windows at some point, but there's a serious shortage of building wood at the moment and prices have gone up by 30-40%, so I might leave that for a while...