Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:48 pm

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1585586 times)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #8075 on: 09 November 2019, 08:04:33 pm »
will do. me an Dave (dynspud) will make our weekly meet at the steel horse on the fazers unless its ridiculous. XJR13 is away for the winter now, i'll persevere with the evo for a few weeks morehopefully.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8076 on: 17 November 2019, 06:52:14 pm »
Went out on a Group Ride today, nice weather, although a bit chilly, but my heated gloves and base layers did a good job keeping me toasty.

Unfortunately, at some point into the ride, my indicators failed! This problem has happened a few times because the alarm has failed to "release" control of the flashers, and a quick "switch off, switch on again" usually sorts it.

This time that didn't work, meaning I had to resort to actual hand signals!!!

So at the stop I took the left side pod off pushed all the connectors back in and give the alarm a thump for good measure and they started working again :)

When I got home, I had to give the bike a damn good wash and recoat with ACF 50 because of all the spray and crap from the roads!

Ah well, it was a nice ride.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8077 on: 27 November 2019, 04:05:21 pm »
After a few frozen mornings I decided to put the bike away for the winter,I'm solely a fair weather rider these days so unless I get a cheap workhorse that'll be me done on 2 wheels for a fair few weeks.I spent an afternoon giving it the old AC50 treatment but to be fair because I don't use it in the rain ....

Might as well hibernate FOC-U for the winter! Appears to be a "fair weather riders only, with no shame" kinda club!  :lol  :b

My bike is actually off the road for a few mont... weeks. :) , no better time with all this rain! Service items - New air filter, fuel filter, oil etc etc.
Plus not overly happy with the Twin round headlights (Not Dominator, but Speed Triple style) so stripped that all off, tidying up the loom, also planning to fit a Gipro gear indicator.  8)
« Last Edit: 27 November 2019, 04:19:00 pm by F4celess »

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8078 on: 27 November 2019, 05:17:22 pm »
I think it's got a fair bit to do with the average age of the members on here,if it were say a BMW GS site there'd probably be a lot more members biking through the autumn/winter,but Fazer owners seem to be more of the type to use their bikes for pleasure/hobby in the latter years of their riding career ,IMO. ;)  I'm not saying for a minute the site's full of geriatrics,far from it,it's just that since I've been on here I get the impression the majority of members are middle aged +.
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8079 on: 27 November 2019, 05:51:41 pm »
I think it's got a fair bit to do with the average age of the members on here,if it were say a BMW GS site there'd probably be a lot more members biking through the autumn/winter,but Fazer owners seem to be more of the type to use their bikes for pleasure/hobby in the latter years of their riding career ,IMO. ;)  I'm not saying for a minute the site's full of geriatrics,far from it,it's just that since I've been on here I get the impression the majority of members are middle aged +.

Thanks for that Coffee :thumbup
 I don't understand why those who choose to ride through the winter, feel that those of us who choose not to should feel ashamed for it.
 I spend a fortune a year to keep a car on the road so when the weather's shit, I'll use it rather than the bike.
   I'm sure most of us, who only use our bikes when the weather's reasonable, have done our share of winter riding, I know I have. I started riding in the early 80's when there were no heated grips or clothing, no goretex or technical windproof layers and tyres were nothing like they are today, not to mention ABS, traction control and rider modes. And we had things like frost and snow in those days too. So we know what it's like to be cold and miserable on a bike and choose not to be. And of course and probably more importantly, however well you try to look after it, a bike will always look worse coming out of winter than it did going in.

« Last Edit: 27 November 2019, 09:40:19 pm by vinnyb »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8080 on: 27 November 2019, 09:36:40 pm »
Fazer's in bits at the moment. Checked the valve clearances today, then the generator cover will get resprayed, before getting the wheels powder coated. Meanwhile new discs and pads are on order for my Triumph winter bike. Hopefully they'll arrive in time for Sunday's childrens hospital toy run. Have always had some sort of winter hack bike. Just a shame my old Speed Triple has had to be relegated to this task, but needs must.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8081 on: 28 November 2019, 09:34:41 am »
Quote from: vinnyb
Thanks for that Coffee :thumbup
 I don't understand why those who choose to ride through the winter, feel that those of us who choose not to should feel ashamed for it.
 I spend a fortune a year to keep a car on the road so when the weather's shit, I'll use it rather than the bike.

The "no shame" reference was taken from someone's signature (in jest / a subtle joke), wasn't a blanket statement or meant to be offensive.

Given the option, I'd also prefer to be in the car when walking out of the door, when its pouring with rain outside (or a heavy soaking of surface water on the roads). Not pleasant venturing on a bike in such conditions (especially on a Bike we've put a lot of love, money, plus time into).

A scooter with all the fairings would be fun (as a winter hack). Twist and go. A large fat padded seat and comfortable seated position, legs and body generally shielded from any water spray. :) While the Fazer is tucked up, nice and dry, for a well deserved break.

Already noticing a lot more congestion when the weathers poor. Alot more traffic queues and longer drives to work in the car in general.  :rolleyes

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8082 on: 29 November 2019, 11:48:51 am »

I'm sure most of us, who only use our bikes when the weather's reasonable, have done our share of winter riding, I know I have. I started riding in the early 80's when there were no heated grips or clothing, no goretex or technical windproof layers and tyres were nothing like they are today, not to mention ABS, traction control and rider modes. And we had things like frost and snow in those days too. So we know what it's like to be cold and miserable on a bike and choose not to be. And of course and probably more importantly, however well you try to look after it, a bike will always look worse coming out of winter than it did going in.

I am the no shame signature guy !.You have summed it up perfectly for me vinnyb. Just like you started riding early 80s and had no choice of a car for 4 years. Fast forward to today and the bike is for fun and it aint no fun in the rain.
But I don't consider myself as a "fair weather rider" because I will happily ride in the winter so long as it is not wet - or damp! or a layer of salt on the road.
As for the statement "  impression the majority of members are middle aged" I wonder if that has something to do with how long Fazer owners keep their bike for. I have had my bike almost 20 years, when I joined this forum I was not middle aged  :lol .

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8083 on: 29 November 2019, 05:01:53 pm »
I'm so glad I didn't offend anyone with that "middle aged" remark,it certainly wasn't the intention.I think that experienced bikers no matter how old they are will be reluctant to take their pride and joy out in rough weather when through no fault of their own can easily end up with a slow skid at best and at worst an off which will almost certainly end up costing a few bob.Up until last year I would put whatever big bike I had at the time away for the winter and get my trusty CG 125 out and as if to prove anything one way or another for the last 6years I was brought off or fell off that bike every winter at least once a year.It really did crash well,only once did I have to get it picked up! but if I did have to use the big 'un for whatever reason I was really on edge,no fun at all. :groan

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8084 on: 30 November 2019, 10:47:14 am »
I was brought off or fell off that bike every winter at least once a year.It really did crash well,
And the FOC quote of the year goes to -------------- :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
« Last Edit: 01 December 2019, 11:31:27 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8085 on: 30 November 2019, 04:38:53 pm »
Ever said or wrote something you wish you'd have said differently? :oops

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: 30 November 2019, 05:30:45 pm »
I'm so glad I didn't offend anyone with that "middle aged" remark,it certainly wasn't the intention.I think that experienced bikers no matter how old they are will be reluctant to take their pride and joy out in rough weather when through no fault of their own can easily end up with a slow skid at best and at worst an off which will almost certainly end up costing a few bob.Up until last year I would put whatever big bike I had at the time away for the winter and get my trusty CG 125 out and as if to prove anything one way or another for the last 6years I was brought off or fell off that bike every winter at least once a year.It really did crash well,only once did I have to get it picked up! but if I did have to use the big 'un for whatever reason I was really on edge,no fun at all. :groan
Middle age is a state of mind instilled on people by health services and governments, it is highly  likely you didn't offend anybody as most of us who are over sixty in years are really sixty something going on thirty something  :finger :rollin
I was never bothered by when people ride their bike/s as long as they enjoy it when they do ride them.
I ride all year round on the Fazers or Serow, but since I retired a year ago I do not need to ride on frosty icy, snowy days, (quite enjoy riding in snow though).
My biggest problem is if I don't ride the bike at least once a week it just does not feel right.
When I was working those who did not ride a bike to work as I did could never understand why I always arrived to work smiling, but anyone who rides a bike knows why  :lol

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8087 on: 01 December 2019, 08:23:05 pm »
That's bang on right there,non bikers just don't get it,at the last place I worked they really thought I was stupid turning up in the pissing rain on the bike when I had a small car at the time.They just seem to think it's just another form of transport and I suppose if you've never had anything to do with bikes it's hard to see why you would choose to brave the elements day in day out,out of choice.

ullukk

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: 02 January 2020, 08:28:48 pm »
Treated mine to a new clutch cable today, thought i'd take it around the block just to make sure it was alright, ended up a 150 mile ride over the moors to Whitby and back home, just for the record iv'e hardly used the old fazer in the last five years or so, so today's unexpected ride was a very pleasant one indeed, i'd almost forgot what a nice bike they are to ride, i'd forgot how quick they are as well!!, well certainly a lot quicker than my current steed, xt 660z, no overtaking planning needed today on the fazer :) , it clocked over 88k on the odometer as well, its give me the inspiration to get to the landmark 100k mark, here's to the next 12k!!, i'll have to up my yearly average mileage on it mind or else i'll never get there.   

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8089 on: 10 January 2020, 05:24:32 pm »
Fazer's back together, finally. Whilst the cam cover was off for the valve clearance check, I had that and the generator cover powder coated. However I forgot to remove the cam chain rubbing block thingy, from inside the cam cover, which melted off in the oven. Been waiting a few weeks for my local Yam dealer to get one in. That was a 22 quid mistake. Up and running this afternoon, so next job is wheels off, and providing the disc bolts come out ok, they'll be off to be  powder coated next week.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8090 on: 10 January 2020, 05:39:15 pm »
Normally a bit of heat on the disc bolts will ease removal. And an Allen socket on a crack bar to give them a good whack!

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8091 on: 10 January 2020, 06:53:11 pm »
After years of using an old battery trickle charger and every now and then catching the clips and ripping them off I treated myself to an Oxford Optimiser 888 which comes with a lead and waterproof cap that you connect to the battery and then cable tie to the frame and just plug it in when you need to charge the battery,should have done it yonks ago. :\

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: 10 January 2020, 07:20:21 pm »
im still useing the fazer and the fatty at least once a week, but at sixty years old now I aint got the time to wait for spring lol. Also ive got heated grips on all the bikes and a gerbing heated underjacket. Biggest issue this time of year is making sure I get home with enough daylight to wash the bike.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #8093 on: 10 January 2020, 07:48:29 pm »
After years of using an old battery trickle charger and every now and then catching the clips and ripping them off I treated myself to an Oxford Optimiser 888 which comes with a lead and waterproof cap that you connect to the battery and then cable tie to the frame and just plug it in when you need to charge the battery,should have done it yonks ago.

Yep, and it also gives you a useful power outlet. I've got a tyre pump with the same connector.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: 10 January 2020, 09:19:03 pm »
After years of using an old battery trickle charger and every now and then catching the clips and ripping them off I treated myself to an Oxford Optimiser 888 which comes with a lead and waterproof cap that you connect to the battery and then cable tie to the frame and just plug it in when you need to charge the battery,should have done it yonks ago.

Yep, and it also gives you a useful power outlet. I've got a tyre pump with the same connector.

+1 :thumbup

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8095 on: 10 January 2020, 11:21:51 pm »

I've got (probably) the same pump and I use it to power my Sat Nav most of the time :thumbup
(That is, the outlet powers the pump or the Sat Nav, not the pump powers the Sat Nav...!  :b )
« Last Edit: 10 January 2020, 11:22:57 pm by Grahamm »

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: 13 January 2020, 09:40:42 am »
Yesterday actually.
A beautiful sunny, if slightly chilly, Winter's day, so met up with OGRI48 (Paul) at the Steel Horse Cafe.
It was just like an early Spring day and sooooo enjoyed the ride there and, as always, meeting up with my good friend Paul.
Loads of bikes there, including a couple of Boxeye 600s - one in gold the other in red & white.
Looking forward to this bike year more than any other I can remember, with a couple of trips already planned - the one to Normandy in June already booked up and ready to go!!
Bring it on!!  :faz :sun :thumbup
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

Dynspud

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8097 on: 13 January 2020, 09:41:38 am »

Dynspud

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: 13 January 2020, 09:42:36 am »
...and here's my trusty steed!!

Dynspud

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8099 on: 13 January 2020, 09:43:32 am »