Date: 26-04-24  Time: 11:05 am

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1603674 times)

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #6625 on: 28 November 2016, 05:36:59 pm »
Used it for what I bought it for - riding to work. About a 50 mile round trip Ilkley - Wakefield & back, thru' central Leeds in rush hour, behaved impeccably and a fantastic filtering machine despite being not as tall as my previous (TDM 850). And marvelled at the effectiveness of of the new Oxford heated grips, like the molten core of the sun (and bought half price from GetGeared too). 'scuse me getting excitable about "a trip to work" but hey, it's a new bike, I'm allowed eh?
  :) :) :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6626 on: 28 November 2016, 11:12:11 pm »
I have been trying to find Linear springs for my FZS600 2002-03 today, so far no joy.
I have written a couple of emails to a couple of suppliers and await their return.

Anyone know the length of the spring in the 2002 FZS 600 forks?
If I knew that it might help with the searching. :thumbup

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: 28 November 2016, 11:16:24 pm »
Used it for what I bought it for - riding to work. About a 50 mile round trip Ilkley - Wakefield & back, thru' central Leeds in rush hour, behaved impeccably and a fantastic filtering machine despite being not as tall as my previous (TDM 850). And marvelled at the effectiveness of of the new Oxford heated grips, like the molten core of the sun (and bought half price from GetGeared too). 'scuse me getting excitable about "a trip to work" but hey, it's a new bike, I'm allowed eh?
  :) :) :)

Not just allowed but actively encouraged, I always have a grin on my face when go out on the Fazer, nothing to do with riding the bike it just gets me away from the Mrs. :eek
I hope to foc she never reads this :rollin  <<<<  cos that is what would happen my head would roll.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6628 on: 29 November 2016, 10:49:45 am »
Nice sunny fresh day , I have the day off , bike passed its MOT yesterday no problems......great, I'll go out for a bimble   :)

go to start the bike up and nothing......battery flat, no probs me thinks , jump leads close to hand and the might thou parked right next to the six, jumps no problem   :thumbup ....leave the bike running and go and get my kit on.......foc....broken zip on my only jacket   :wall .....foc, i aint going nowhere, back out to the garage to turn the bike off  and i notice its spat its coolant out  :'(
One, is never going to be enough.....

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6629 on: 29 November 2016, 11:31:44 am »
Nice sunny fresh day , I have the day off , bike passed its MOT yesterday no problems......great, I'll go out for a bimble   :)

go to start the bike up and nothing......battery flat, no probs me thinks , jump leads close to hand and the might thou parked right next to the six, jumps no problem   :thumbup ....leave the bike running and go and get my kit on.......foc....broken zip on my only jacket   :wall .....foc, i aint going nowhere, back out to the garage to turn the bike off  and i notice its spat its coolant out  :'(
Read the signs - someone is stopping you from going out today for a reason.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6630 on: 29 November 2016, 11:38:07 am »
Could be right there sharpie.......rear tyre is also getting a bit low, I have a replacement one in the shed with all the tools to change it over , iam off untill friday so I have the time aswell........

sitting here now comfort eating whilst gazing out the living room window at crystal clear blue skys with not a cloud in sight...did mention the new base layer I bought reacently and am keen to try it out      :\
One, is never going to be enough.....

the cueball

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - zx12r, H2, RC51, MT09, Pan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6631 on: 29 November 2016, 04:43:49 pm »
been trying to find the reason for the annoying stutter its developed sometimes at 4K revs after my recent service...

bike had been running great, I should have left it alone!  :'( :'(

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6632 on: 29 November 2016, 08:08:49 pm »
Did you do the service yourself?
What service procedures did you do, it has nothing to do with oil or filter so rule that out. Spark Plugs? you said sometimes stutters, so its intermittent, worth looking at the plug leads, maybe a duff plug, did you have the tank off the bike? could possibly be pinched fuel pipe from tank, did you touch carbs? if you did not touch carbs you cam most likely rule them out (although carb issues start at some point so could be coincidence that it started after the service)
My rule when trouble seeking is never take anything for granted, check it if you have the slightest doubt.

it will be something simple I wouldn't mind betting.
I did hear that some fuel filters are directional if you changed that it might be worth a look.
Good luck, :D
« Last Edit: 29 November 2016, 08:14:04 pm by tommyardin »

the cueball

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - zx12r, H2, RC51, MT09, Pan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: 29 November 2016, 08:14:58 pm »
cheers.... yeah, I serviced myself, as I normally do.. so I haven't done anything 'different' than I usually do... but obviously buggered something up!  :\

already had the tank back off to check the fuel lines... they looked OK....

spark plugs and leads are next on the list, and maybe recheck the air filter?

the stutter happens more when cold, and more when I'm giving it a bit of gas (to overtake for example) and seems to clear itself by the time it hits 5k revs.

doesn't happen much when the bike is warm, but the doubt is always there in my mind, so can't trust it at the moment!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: 29 November 2016, 08:29:18 pm »
Could be a carb jet, if it tends to do it more when cold it would make you think a slightly weak mixture, maybe jet, but I would exhaust all other avenues before going down that route.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6635 on: 29 November 2016, 08:43:39 pm »
Hey!
These bad boys turned up in the post today,
Will add another post with some more pics/info, Foc-u will only let me post 4 images in any one post

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: 29 November 2016, 08:53:27 pm »
Continued:

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6637 on: 30 November 2016, 05:11:41 pm »
Rode it around North Yorkshire this morning in the muck and freezing cold being followed by a copper on a bike the whole time, he was really giving me close scrutiny, never took his eyes off me for a minute....

Finally after nearly two hours of this, outside the McDonalds in Knaresborough he said "Congratulations mate you've passed your Advanced Motorcycle Test". Which was nice.....

:D :D :D

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6638 on: 30 November 2016, 06:55:44 pm »
Congratulations bud....you deserve a pass for two hours in today's temperature!!

D

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6639 on: 30 November 2016, 09:16:56 pm »
Congratulations bud....you deserve a pass for two hours in today's temperature!!

D

Yeah I will second that, well done in that cold, I bet your nuts ended up as a little bump on the back of your neck :eek
« Last Edit: 30 November 2016, 10:03:29 pm by tommyardin »

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6640 on: 30 November 2016, 11:18:06 pm »

D

Yeah I will second that, well done in that cold, I bet your nuts ended up as a little bump on the back of your neck :eek 

That'd be about right... thank F*ck for heated grips at least (or I'd have stayed at home..)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6641 on: 01 December 2016, 12:07:47 am »
 :lol

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6642 on: 01 December 2016, 08:56:41 pm »
Ever since fitting the Pc3 and mapping my bike I developed a major exhaust leak at the join between link pipe and end can so took that apart today and used some liquid gasket to seal it. Figured I'd give it a clean and polish while I was there and replace the bolts with nice new stainless ones. All in all quite productive 😊

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6643 on: 01 December 2016, 11:20:28 pm »
Finally after nearly two hours of this, outside the McDonalds in Knaresborough he said "Congratulations mate you've passed your Advanced Motorcycle Test". Which was nice.....

Bravo! :thumbup

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6644 on: 02 December 2016, 06:10:29 am »
Ever since fitting the Pc3 and mapping my bike I developed a major exhaust leak at the join between link pipe and end can so took that apart today and used some liquid gasket to seal it. Figured I'd give it a clean and polish while I was there and replace the bolts with nice new stainless ones. All in all quite productive 😊

Tidy job    :thumbup 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6645 on: 02 December 2016, 06:18:31 am »
Rode it around North Yorkshire this morning in the muck and freezing cold being followed by a copper on a bike the whole time, he was really giving me close scrutiny, never took his eyes off me for a minute....

:D :D :D

He just wanted a McDonalds...... :stop :b :lol

Well done.  :deal
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6646 on: 02 December 2016, 06:13:18 pm »
I think he did just want a McDonalds. Pulled out a sheaf of drinks loyalty cards saying "I drink a lot of coffee on nights...."
Top bloke though, (and not just 'cos he passed me - he was pretty blunt about the bits I'd not excelled at!)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6647 on: 03 December 2016, 08:07:22 pm »
Replaced the weeping Carburetor Coolant Hose on the replacement carbs must have been pinched in the packaging as it is behind another which is undamaged  :)

Fitted Fzs600 bars and GYTR riser to the Fzs1000, bars slightly further forward, 25mm narrower and lower than the OEM and feels better sitting on it :)

Raining now so cannot take it for a run to see how they feel :'( roll on tomorrow

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6648 on: 04 December 2016, 12:20:49 am »
Also fixed my intermittent Fuel Sender on the FZS1000 properly this time  :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6649 on: 04 December 2016, 07:37:48 pm »
Well busy afternoon for me, removed the mono-shock/pogo stick from the back of the 600, removed the dog bones and the shock linkage, good clean up of all the parts, washed all the needle/roller bearings out with W/D40 and gave then a really good clean and dry, repacked them with red grease (more resistant to water than regular grease) and fitted the new Nitron shock.
I did the work with the bike on the centre stand but slipped some thin planks of wood under the back wheel so it did not drop when removing the bolts, new shock and all the bits just slipped into place no lifting pushing or pulling involved.
Jobs a goodun.

Before I started working on the old girl I put a sticky label on the seat fairing vertically above the centre of the rear wheel and measured up from the centre of the rear wheel spindle 400mm and put a line on the label, with the Nitron fitted it now measure 403mm.

The unladen (Just weight of bike) sag is only about 15mm so I will set that to about 30mm in the morning it might just drop the measurement back to 400mm as well.

Then in a week or two will start on the front forks, I still need to source some linear springs. I have 15 weight fork oil and the YSS Emulators and a pillar drill in Terry's workshop (Wild Plum's)  so almost ready to go on that.

Will take the bike out and try the new shock after setting the sag adjustment tomorrow.