Date: 27-04-24  Time: 04:11 am

Author Topic: Buying a FZS1000  (Read 4794 times)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Buying a FZS1000
« on: 23 December 2012, 09:09:50 pm »
Looking at buying an FZS, and was wondering if there was anything I should be looking for? As far as I can see throughout the model life span there wasn't a massive amount of difference, just the later ones had black painted engines and swingarms, and some didn't have a headlight switch? Anything else I've missed there?
Not really sure what I'm looking for price wise really either as there's a fair bit of variation. My preference would be for a black engined one as I feel they look a lot tidier, and I really like the black/red fading paintwork on the 05 (?) models - would also match my leathers then  :lol
There's a few though that are higher milage and pretty cheap, what are the engines like on these things for long life? There's a couple with about 30k miles, later black engined models that look pretty tidy for about £2300 ish, how's that sound? It's either that or go for a black/red one without 20k miles for £3000 ONO.

I'll be getting a test ride before I buy anything (or possibly because of my age my dad may have to) - is there anything FZS specifically related I should look for/test for before buying? I'm quite mechanically inclined so not too worried about having to do a little bit of work to a bike I should buy, if it were cost effective for me to do it.

Ta fellas,

Joe

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a FZS1000
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2012, 09:25:52 pm »
the fazer engine is good for very high mileage,mine has 71k miles and is sweet,the main issues is the exup valve not working,check the rear shock as they will last but like most jap bikes are not brilliant and are not the right rating for the bike,there are many options to upgrade,to be honest mine is original and I have had no issues but then im not very heavy and I have not rid the fazer 2 up yet,the finish on the fazer can go off quickly if the bike is ridden all year round and not washed off regular,the front of my engine looked rather bad,the downpipes were fit for scrap only.to be honest I wish I had bought a fazer thou years a go.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2012, 09:30:10 pm »
Hi Joe, fzs 1000's are brilliant all rounders that don't really have any issues apart from exup valves sticking if not maintained. The engines are one of the best around and can run to 100'000 plus with no problems. You will find loads of threads on upgrades like ivanising your bike (jet kit and air box mods) which seriously improves throttle response and more power throughout the rev range. (falcon 269) is the very person to ask! Also jack up kits quicken the steering. You can also get an improved shock, as the standard ones are pretty poor. (Devilsyam) does r6 shocks with jack up kits, which are apparently really good - (i might get one in the new year!) You will find this site brilliant for information and if you need to know anything regarding your new bike lots of people will be able to give you good advice. I recently purchased an aprilia tuono v4r and the forums are poor for good information in comparison to this site. Best of luck choosing the right bike :)
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2012, 11:05:43 pm »
You might check the compression adjusters, at the rear base of the fork lowers, mine were seized and you can't get replacements. Pretty sure others have found the same problem - though I'm not sure it's recurrent issue.
To be honest they don't do a great deal even when they're working.
S
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 December 2012, 01:05:08 am »
You might check the compression adjusters, at the rear base of the fork lowers, mine were seized and you can't get replacements. Pretty sure others have found the same problem - though I'm not sure it's recurrent issue.
To be honest they don't do a great deal even when they're working.
S
I was surprised with the mileage and general condition of my bike that the adjusters were turning freely

hotmetal

• Weekend Warrior
  • Set Fazer to stun
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2012, 02:17:49 pm »
I had the same issue (fork comp screws) on my first (02) gen 1. Was the first thing I checked as soon as I was out of sight of the dealer's when I test rode my current one (54). Take a flat screwdriver with you when you go to see it. But yes, they don't really do much anyway! Suspension is probably the only thing that lets down one of the best all-rounders you can get. Being a cheapskate, I just went for a Hyperpro respring front and rear, which helped, but is no substitute for a proper revalve on the front and a Maxton/K-Tech/Nitron shock, so I'm told.

When buying, one tip is to check for vertical play in the swingarm (bike on centre stand, lift rear wheel). About 1mm of play is actually within spec but lots of people don't realise this so you can bargain to get some £ knocked off, or if in a dealer, get the bearings and linkages repacked, which will need doing anyway at some point.

The engines go on for ever if you change your oil regularly. Stripping and greasing the EXUP should be done at least once a year. Make sure the EXUP valve works (and bolts aren't seized) before you part with any cash. It has been known for people to remove the pulley and flog the bike with a stuck valve.

Apart from that, nothing much to watch out for really, except the same as when buying any other bike.

Oh, and it's worth mentioning that I've just hit 30,000 miles on my 54 plater on the original chain and sprockets, due to using a Scottoiler. Replaced with DID ZVM and JT sprockets for £170 fitted.
__
There's no replacement for displacement

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2013, 05:13:33 pm »
K Tech yes !!!!    :)

Fazermax

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - vmax
    • View Profile
    • Custom Vmax Services
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2013, 07:45:05 am »
My opinion is this is the best off all the colours, I had a Black & Red 05,this my 07

Plus one of my Vmax's

As you can see it's Black & red all day for me.
« Last Edit: 06 January 2013, 07:59:57 am by Fazermax »
Owner of Custom Vmax Services, & FZ1s owner.
www.customvmaxservices.co.uk

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2013, 05:40:10 pm »
Totally gorgeous FZ1 and V max Fazermax
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Fazermax

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - vmax
    • View Profile
    • Custom Vmax Services
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2013, 07:42:40 pm »
Thanks Fireblake.
Owner of Custom Vmax Services, & FZ1s owner.
www.customvmaxservices.co.uk