Date: 24-04-24  Time: 07:56 am

Author Topic: Handlebar muffs  (Read 6624 times)

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
Handlebar muffs
« on: 25 October 2012, 04:57:17 pm »
Handlebar muffs: whos got them? Which ones work well with the fazer(and its fairing)? Which ones are recommended?

I'm looking at Tucano Urbano ones at the moment as I've used them in the past and they are great but I think they will be too big for a semi faired bike.

Any advice/recommendations will be appreciated!

Cheers, BozBoz  :)

NotAnotherHill

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda Fireblade 900 RRV 1998
    • View Profile
Re: Handlebar muffs
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2012, 06:15:00 pm »
I use Oxford muffs and will be putting them back on for Saturday's ride. Generally no complaints. The only issue I find is that they sometimes catch the light switch and turn off the lights. I've tried adjusting them but without much success. I tend not to ride at night so it's not a major issue but I wouldn't fancy being plunged into darkness down an unlit country road! They don't catch on the fairing.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2012, 06:22:01 pm »
Muffs,,,,,, mmmmmmm   :b

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2012, 01:53:55 am »
I'm more of a heated grips man personally, they're nice and warm and should be a bit easier on the wrists if the worst should happen.......
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2012, 11:43:19 am »
I use Oxford muffs and will be putting them back on for Saturday's ride. Generally no complaints. The only issue I find is that they sometimes catch the light switch and turn off the lights. I've tried adjusting them but without much success. I tend not to ride at night so it's not a major issue but I wouldn't fancy being plunged into darkness down an unlit country road! They don't catch on the fairing.

Before I buy any do they actually work and keep your hands warm??

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2012, 03:53:52 pm »

Before I buy any do they actually work and keep your hands warm??
Muffs do work but they only really deflect the cold of the wind they dont really warm your hands up like heated grips.

I'm more of a heated grips man personally, they're nice and warm and should be a bit easier on the wrists if the worst should happen.......
I'll be using them in conjunction with some heated grips. Either is good for normal riding but from personal experience out all day and long journeys up north you really need both to stop the outside of your hands suffering.
Cheers, BozBoz  :)

NotAnotherHill

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda Fireblade 900 RRV 1998
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2012, 05:09:27 pm »
I have heated grips as well. The muffs keep off the wind chill and rain. I wore my summer gloves today despite it being about 4 degrees up in North Yorks. The trouble with just heated grips is you still need thick winter gloves. The heat from the grips then doesn't get through the palm of the thicker winter glove as well as with thinner summer gloves. I did change to slightly thicker gloves at lunchtime but my hands were warm.

Your other option are heated gloves. Never had any but I image they are toasty.

gpc1501

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2012, 05:28:49 pm »
I have the Tucano Urbano muffs on my Fazer. Fit well, don't get in the way of anything, don't flap about on the motorway and can handle motorway speeds very well. Used them all of last winter and have just put them back on for this winter. Best £37 I've spent on the bike yet!

bozboz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2012, 01:22:45 pm »
I have the Tucano Urbano muffs on my Fazer. Fit well, don't get in the way of anything, don't flap about on the motorway and can handle motorway speeds very well. Used them all of last winter and have just put them back on for this winter. Best £37 I've spent on the bike yet!

Great, are those the neoprene ones or the other type? I've gone ahead and ordered these(the other type): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Fazer-with-windshield-Tucano-Urbano-Lined-Motorcycle-Muffs-/130783190870?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1e73491f56. Have been told that they will fit my fazer by the guys at m&p! I thought that if I do have a fall then the neoprene whould just crumble.

gpc1501

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 November 2012, 01:39:01 pm »
I have the neoprene type - http://www.urbanrider.co.uk/brands/tucano-urbano/bar-muffs-r361-neoprene-bar-end-weight.html. In the case of a fall the state of the muffs is the least of my worries... I did have a low speed off at the beginning of the year and they survived just fine.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #10 on: 07 November 2012, 04:55:39 pm »
Can definitely recommend heated gloves. Just picked up a nice pair of Gerbing's in a recent VisorDown power buy at £100!

Cabling is a bit of a faff, threading it through your coat, plugging them in etc. But damned the're nice. Lovely and warm. Other night I had to go half way round North Circular and out into Essex, around 10/11pm and it was just a couple of degrees above freezing, loads of wind chill. Hands were lovely and warm. Was an enjoyable ride, rather than a grit your teeth get home fast affair. :)

Did get a spot of cool ness coming through if I clenched my fingers around the grips (rather than more forward over levers), but the heating elements compensated fine. Guess more surface area for wind to chill. But it was great, to get home and not have to lock and cover bike up with numb fingers...

mobile mouse

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 November 2012, 01:04:37 pm »
I have just bought the R361 bar muffs from tucano urbano.

Any tips of things I should or shouldn't do when installing, please.

cheers,

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 November 2012, 01:20:33 pm »
seems handy enough

Tucano Urbano Scooter Bar Muffs Review + Fitting Guide

gpc1501

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 November 2012, 02:14:29 pm »
I have just bought the R361 bar muffs from tucano urbano.

Any tips of things I should or shouldn't do when installing, please.

cheers,

The only issue I found was the plastic bits that you put inside to hold it in place can get in the way of the levers. You'll find when you pull the lever back it hits the plastic bit. I just use one half to hold it in place now and works well enough. The other option I thought of is to cut one half down a bit or shorten it so it doesn't get in the way of the lever, but didn't actually try it.