Date: 18-04-24  Time: 21:36 pm

Author Topic: Headlight Fuse Keeps Blowing  (Read 2333 times)

MissB

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Headlight Fuse Keeps Blowing
« on: 23 July 2012, 08:23:43 pm »
I have a 2002 FZS6 - I went to a rally a couple of weeks back and it turned out to be a rather moist one. The bike was stood in a field for a couple of days with constant rain pouring on it.

On the way home the headlights went and it turned out to be a fuse, I changed the fuse and it appeared ok - until I washed the bike and then the same thing happened again... :'(

To me it sounds like there is maybe an exposed/corroded wire somewhere that is getting wet and then shorting out?

Any other suggestions as to what this could be?
We are born naked wet and hungry and then things get worse....

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight Fuse Keeps Blowing
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2012, 08:58:19 pm »
Is it just that circuit affected?

Best thing to do, is going from your headlamp, follow the wiring back through any connectors, make sure they're clean and tight and dry. Also check wiring for damage (chafing etc), esp wiring routed near engine (it gets exposed to temperature fluctuations). There is a relay in that circuit - don't forget to check it (and its connector).

MissB

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2012, 09:03:19 pm »
yep - sidelights and everything else still works...the bike has been stood for a couple of weeks after the rally and I decided to wash it as it was filthy and 'pop' it went again... cheers for the advice!
We are born naked wet and hungry and then things get worse....

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2012, 09:08:08 pm »
once you have cleaned the terminals etc put a small amount of petrol jelly on them and it will help stop any moisture and give good corrosion resistance etc,hope you get it sorted soon