Date: 19-04-24  Time: 09:06 am

Author Topic: FJR1300 or Tiger 800????  (Read 8583 times)

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: FJR1300 or Tiger 800????
« Reply #25 on: 05 July 2012, 07:16:44 am »
if you are really unsure, why not get another gen1....out of all the bikes out there its got to be the easiest to work on, all its faults are known and most curable.
cheap to buy and mod up...IMO 3 to 4 K buys a decent stocker plus essential mods.Cant believe how much service and fun my 04 has been for the last 4 yrs and 30k miles !

Its been so good, it owes me nothing , yet its always there if I need it.Pity they dont make anything now which comes close ( z1000Sx maybe, but has similar faults to the stock fazer but at twice the asking price ! )

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #26 on: 05 July 2012, 11:00:09 am »
I haven't ridden the Triumph, but I did buy a new FJR in 2007 and loved it. What a superb bike for distance work. Why it doesn't get the praise it deserves in the magazines is beyond me. Stonking engine, 145 ponies and bags of torque. I rode non-stop from Manchester to Stranraer and the seat was so comfortable that I felt I could have gone the same distance again without a break. My wife also loved the Feejer.

Trouble is, they are eye-wateringly expensive since the recession hit. I paid about £9k for mine and I saw one in a Bolton dealer the other day at £15k.  :eek :eek :eek  If I was spending that sort of money, I'd go daft and buy a Diavel.

Tom

QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Re: FJR1300 or Tiger 800 - Buying neither!!
« Reply #27 on: 06 July 2012, 11:57:44 am »
Gave up on the Tiger idea. Also gave up on the FJR as I could not see the FJR coping with my kamikaze filtering techniques. Looked at the Z1000SX but they are ridiculously expensive. Cheapest on MCN is £7300.
I was also looking at another FZ1 but would need another bike for the winter as I found the FZ1 a nightmare in slippy conditions.
So looks like I am following Pitternators lead here and "regressing" back to a Gen1  :rolleyes .
I said I would never do it as I think the Gen 2 is a better bike for me, but picking up a '05 FZS1000 for a decent price and will run this all year round.
With the additional funds I am saving I may wait til next year to buy a "toy" ( unless the wife gets here grubby hands on the cash first  :'( )

The Rocketeer

• Pacman
    Cymru am byth
    Askin' for a foccin' bannin too
    Really geeky & crap
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ROCKET 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 July 2012, 12:04:20 pm »
Agree with that, FJR with panniers is wider than my old Rocket 3. Speed triple?
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

Instructorman

• imageMay 08
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW K1600GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 July 2012, 09:29:25 am »
If you have a decent budget and are using the bike for daily commuting to work etc I would recommend you take a look at the BMW R1200RT, or if you want something with a lot more grunt try the K1300GT.

I have ridden most of the bikes previously mention, both as an owner and through using them as Blood Bikes and have found all have benefit/faults but on the whole the beemers are the best all round package.

The R1200RT is extremely comfortable for long periods in the saddle, has great carrying capacity, the power delivery is silky smooth and very predicatble especially in the wet.

The K1300GT is much the same, except the 160bhp in-line four motor is a peach! A real wolf in sheeps clothing. It can crack a genuine 160mph and the handling is superb, I have put several "superbike" riders to shame.

If you don't fancy a big tourer type of bike and are looking for a great bike for hooning around on, test ride a KTM Super Duke!  :evil

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC
    • View Profile
    • a two wheeled charity ride without engines
« Reply #30 on: 08 July 2012, 02:55:20 pm »
what "faults" with the Tiger are you meaning? most issues are small and being sorted -and seem to be due to "having to" push the bikes out the factory door due to demand.
and do you mean MCS as your local? I've found them to be ok, if a little expensive on servicing (but that seems to be all Triumph dealers it would seem). Two Wheels in Edinburgh were recommended to me but the distance was a nuisance so went to MCS for my Tiger XC (which I love - 13,000 miles in 14 months, and totally different to my old thou). they have a few second hand tiger of various generations in the showroom too.
all new Japanese, especially Yammies are expensive, but Ride-on (used to) carry a large second hand stock (not been in for a while).
have you thought about about the SuperTenere?
or for leftfield, one of the BMW F800 twin's? the streetbikes are a surprise and the baby GS (the F650GS twin) is loads of fun in the twisties and great on a commute.

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 July 2012, 05:22:42 pm »
If you have a decent budget and are using the bike for daily commuting to work etc I would recommend you take a look at the BMW R1200RT, or if you want something with a lot more grunt try the K1300GT.

I have ridden most of the bikes previously mention, both as an owner and through using them as Blood Bikes and have found all have benefit/faults but on the whole the beemers are the best all round package.

The R1200RT is extremely comfortable for long periods in the saddle, has great carrying capacity, the power delivery is silky smooth and very predicatble especially in the wet.

The K1300GT is much the same, except the 160bhp in-line four motor is a peach! A real wolf in sheeps clothing. It can crack a genuine 160mph and the handling is superb, I have put several "superbike" riders to shame.

If you don't fancy a big tourer type of bike and are looking for a great bike for hooning around on, test ride a KTM Super Duke!  :evil

X2 re the BMWs - they're cert fine bikes but a little idiosyncratic so make sure you test ride them first. Def x2 re the KTM, the Superduke is streets (no pun intended) better than the triumphs 'speed' and 'street' and is def worth a look. Try the SMT while you're at it. I've only ever ridden the 950 which was brilliant but the SMT is generally regarded as better.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

The Rocketeer

• Pacman
    Cymru am byth
    Askin' for a foccin' bannin too
    Really geeky & crap
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ROCKET 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 July 2012, 12:55:41 am »
Ask Meldrum if superduke's are a good buy  ;) Or Davebikes if he's still around........
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 July 2012, 05:23:02 pm »
The latest edition of RIDE magazine does an article on the FJR?
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11 July 2012, 12:06:30 am »
Two Wheels in Edinburgh Gringo. Sales guys are great but servicing/after sales are ridiculously bad. Dealt with them years ago when I had my CB1300 and actually tried to persuade Honda to remove their franchise  :lol . as I had a list of owners with serious service issues from them. Obviously failed in that attempt and the service from Honda UK was even worse.
Unfortunately having spoken to current triumph owners in the area they have not changed. Was going to buy a Tiger "down south" but then servicing was always going to be an issue.
Looked at a Gen1 the other day but they seem to all be high milers with a high price to match.
Looks like I am going to get myself another FZ1....seen a few 09/10 plates for 5k which is a bit of a bargin   ;)